Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 30, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #5,911 of 6,785
Expanse is now available in classifieds.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #5,912 of 6,785
Can fellow LCD-5 owners do me a favor and listen to Vicarious by Tool. In the first 40 seconds of the song, does it feel like the electric guitar strings are moving in a circle around your ear? I want some 3rd party vetting to make sure I'm not going crazy haha. I never really noticed the tactile feel until just now. Is this what people mean by slam?
No, that's not slam. That's more so dynamics, sometimes referred as texture. Slam the bass kick around 45 and 120hz. That's where the majority of energy in a kick drum is.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #5,914 of 6,785
The chain is critical. Ideally you need a $60,000 chain to drive a Susvara. “Pump”400 Watts into a headphone without realising that headphones can only draw current based on Ohms law and the volume level 😂
I bet one of those chains Eric B is wearing on the left is $60,000 or maybe more.
fbe9a6867b165fbe9d71a98fbd45fc18.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #5,916 of 6,785
As someone who loves the LCD-3 but am thinking about taking up that Audeze trade up offer to the LCD-5, do you guys suggest this or is the tuning going to be that different? Who has done this upgrade and love it or hate it?
I'll let you know tomorrow (Oct 3rd). (if FedEx can manage to deliver them, unlike today)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #5,917 of 6,785
I'll let you know tomorrow (Oct 3rd). (if FedEx can manage to deliver them, unlike today)
As threatened, I received the LCD-5s today, listened to several songs, most of which are one's I'm very familiar with and a couple that I use for evaluating headphones, and I'm keeping them.

I don't use the flowery descriptive words that many do but it seems to me the bass on this is more open. The LCD-3 seems to have a little more oomph (you can almost feel vs hear the bass) but the bass on the LCD-5 is clearer, if that makes any sense. One of my favorite songs for evaluating headphones and speakers is "Russia on Ice" by Porcupine Tree. About the 9:30 mark, there is some very deep bass and on these, it's clearly audible but doesn't quite linger like on the LCD-3s.

The treble area is to my liking, not too bright, and, as reported elsewhere, the mids seem to be a little more prominent but not overly so. All of this was through an AZUS laptop, Schiit Lyr with the multibit DAC card and without any equalization.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is that clunky and kind of heavy connection for the balanced to 1/4 inch jack.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #5,918 of 6,785
What differences have you found? Also, have you tried any 1024 PCM or DSD512?
Update: DSD512 (AMSDM7 512+fs) is a better option for the May IMO than DSD256 using the EC modulator. Soundstage is expansive, more natural and better punch. DSD256 stage is narrow and thin comparatively. DSD256 is a little more smooth but its missing the magic of DSD512.

DSD256 with ASDM7ECv2 compared to PCM 1.5 mHz is a closer call with PCM having more punch and better dynamics but the stage is more 2D.

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #5,919 of 6,785
Update: DSD512 (AMSDM7 512+fs) is a better option for the May IMO than DSD256 using the EC modulator. Soundstage is expansive, more natural and better punch. DSD256 stage is narrow and thin comparatively. DSD256 is a little more smooth but its missing the magic of DSD512.

DSD256 with ASDM7ECv2 compared to PCM 1.5 mHz is a closer call with PCM having more punch and better dynamics but the stage is more 2D.
Interesting you should say that. Even with every filter you tried? Are you able to run any of the sinc fters with your M1? I found the filters scale as you go up both in modators and filters. Surprisingly, I was also able to hear some differences with the Expanse and higher rates with no eq because of less strain on the pc and the effe ts were enough for me to want to hear them more and build a new pc.

I never had issue with the 5's staging though. Just me.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #5,920 of 6,785
Interesting you should say that. Even with every filter you tried? Are you able to run any of the sinc fters with your M1? I found the filters scale as you go up both in modators and filters. Surprisingly, I was also able to hear some differences with the Expanse and higher rates with no eq because of less strain on the pc and the effe ts were enough for me to want to hear them more and build a new pc.

I never had issue with the 5's staging though. Just me.

I can run the Sinc filters at PCM 1.5 MHz no problem on my M1

For DSD I prefer gauss-xla (1x) and gauss-HiRes-lp (nX)

I’ve never had an issue with the staging on a LCD-5 either, DSD512 is just more of everything. DSD256 with EC gets you close to DSD512 performance wise, but DSD512 on the May is the way to go if your computer can handle it.

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #5,921 of 6,785
Hmmm, seems like no one on either thread has compared LCD5 and Atriums.

I used to own the LCD5s. Very good cans. I just didn’t want to EQ all the time and in stock form I found the mid tange to have too much energy for my taste.

The slam I would get on the LCD5 has not been reached with any other headphone. Very good realism for drums. Excellent cans for hip hop and very exciting for rock.

I own the Atriums now. From memory they seem to have a larger soundstage. Wider at least but not by much. Atrium’s also have a forward midrange but not pronounced as the LCD5. Atrium’s midrange sound sweeter and more emotive than LCD5. Atrium does have slam and punch but not as much. Also not as precise. In the treble region, Atriums are a bit brighter than the LCD5.

LCD5 have more overall resolution. Although LCD5 excels in technicalities. I feel the Atrium has great transparency, tonal balance, great overall tuning. Very emotive and engaging with excellent reverb/decay.

I am happy with the Atriums as they are very addictive but I can see anyone liking one or the other. These cans have similarities so I find it odd no one has compared them even in passing. :)

Oct 5, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #5,922 of 6,785
Hmmm, seems like no one on either thread has compared LCD5 and Atriums.

I used to own the LCD5s. Very good cans. I just didn’t want to EQ all the time and in stock form I found the mid tange to have too much energy for my taste.

The slam I would get on the LCD5 has not been reached with any other headphone. Very good realism for drums. Excellent cans for hip hop and very exciting for rock.

I own the Atriums now. From memory they seem to have a larger soundstage. Wider at least but not by much. Atrium’s also have a forward midrange but not pronounced as the LCD5. Atrium’s midrange sound sweeter and more emotive than LCD5. Atrium does have slam and punch but not as much. Also not as precise. In the treble region, Atriums are a bit brighter than the LCD5.

LCD5 have more overall resolution. Although LCD5 excels in technicalities. I feel the Atrium has great transparency, tonal balance, great overall tuning. Very emotive and engaging with excellent reverb/decay.

I am happy with the Atriums as they are very addictive but I can see anyone liking one or the other. These cans have similarities so I find it odd no one has compared them even in passing. :)

Thanks for those impressions. In your signature it says you also have Susvara and Expanse on hand - would you say the LCD-5 is the best “technical” compliment to the Atriums, or would one of the other 2 be a better choice?

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #5,923 of 6,785
Had a battle today.

20221004_192952.jpg

Btw, I don't wear the 5's like that, just how they came back.
Letting you in on a secret now... my 5's have been away getting repaired the last couple weeks. Right driver wasn't working one day... right when Expanse got announced. Perfect timing, right? Don't know how it happened. Just tried to listen one day and it wasn't working. No trauma or anything.

Well, today is the first time i've heard my LCD5's since mid-September. Surprisingly, both do sound more balanced out of the monoblocks with H/O as pre as i've had a few days with stock Expanse. Same impressions as mentioned before, just a tad more enhanced with them in the mix.
I a/b'd the monoblocks against Oor and the monoblock stage is noticeable as described. Sounds seem just a bit tighter or closer in with H/O than the monoblocks. It is minor to me, but it could be because i'm using HQP so the effect isn't as noticeable.

What is still evident and remains is I prefer the 5's imaging/staging. I've been thinking a lot about how to put this into words, but the proper description eludes me. After watching Resolves video this last weekend where he describes his Expanse impressions, I think he describes it best and is what I sense too. Expanse's staging being pushed back lends to an effect that sounds like the trailing ends of tones aren't as up front/fleshed out or prominent. In effect, the delivery is less incisive, and this is what keeps me from the engagement. The 5's vocal presence are just so seductively direct and seem to resonate through my head and soul like I am one with the music instead of listening from x distance away. I put them on with a test track and could immediately sense the frisson coming on where I was struggling to feel it with Expanse. Maybe a bit of cup resonance, imaging or staging having something to do with it all, whatever is responsible, it's captivating here and just melds my mind, body and soul into a feeling like I am ascending with the music and being rewarded with euphoria. As much as I dreaded having to be without them, the fact that they failed, slightly more clamp, glued pads, terrible acetate color, etc., it's still hard to take them off. They're just so addictive with what i've got going through them now. Sadly, the last few days I just haven't felt like listening to the Expanse.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #5,924 of 6,785
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #5,925 of 6,785
Had a battle today.

Btw, I don't wear the 5's like that, just how they came back.
Letting you in on a secret now... my 5's have been away getting repaired the last couple weeks. Right driver wasn't working one day... right when Expanse got announced. Perfect timing, right? Don't know how it happened. Just tried to listen one day and it wasn't working. No trauma or anything.

Well, today is the first time i've heard my LCD5's since mid-September. Surprisingly, both do sound more balanced out of the monoblocks with H/O as pre as i've had a few days with stock Expanse. Same impressions as mentioned before, just a tad more enhanced with them in the mix.
I a/b'd the monoblocks against Oor and the monoblock stage is noticeable as described. Sounds seem just a bit tighter or closer in with H/O than the monoblocks. It is minor to me, but it could be because i'm using HQP so the effect isn't as noticeable.

What is still evident and remains is I prefer the 5's imaging/staging. I've been thinking a lot about how to put this into words, but the proper description eludes me. After watching Resolves video this last weekend where he describes his Expanse impressions, I think he describes it best and is what I sense too. Expanse's staging being pushed back lends to an effect that sounds like the trailing ends of tones aren't as up front/fleshed out or prominent. In effect, the delivery is less incisive, and this is what keeps me from the engagement. The 5's vocal presence are just so seductively direct and seem to resonate through my head and soul like I am one with the music instead of listening from x distance away. I put them on with a test track and could immediately sense the frisson coming on where I was struggling to feel it with Expanse. Maybe a bit of cup resonance, imaging or staging having something to do with it all, whatever is responsible, it's captivating here and just melds my mind, body and soul into a feeling like I am ascending with the music and being rewarded with euphoria. As much as I dreaded having to be without them, the fact that they failed, slightly more clamp, glued pads, terrible acetate color, etc., it's still hard to take them off. They're just so addictive with what i've got going through them now. Sadly, the last few days I just haven't felt like listening to the Expanse.
Our impressions of Expanse align pretty well. I was way more impressed with the imaging of the LCD5 than the Expanse. It's funny how this headphone has such wildly different impressions based on who is reviewing. So many reviews I've read are raving about the imaging and staging of the Expanse. I am scratching my head because on most tracks, I didn't hear it stand out at all. Sure, once in a while a track would come up that would have some nice imaging, but most of the time, it just kept stuff very close together inside of my head.

EDIT: Where's that video where Resolve is describing his Expanse impressions? I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back