Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 27, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #5,881 of 6,785
Anyone here with a small head who ones the LCD-5? I never realized how clampy these are (even with the updated headband) until I tried out the Liric's and HD 800s again for an extended period of time. Now it's hard for me to ignore the clamp (it was never really an issue for the three months I've owned it, but now I can't ignore it as easily :triportsad:).

Edit: Don't laugh at me guys, but I think I fixed a lot the clamping issue I was having (it's still tight, but not nearly as bad as before). I think I had the headband set a bit too high (I had it at 2 clicks before). I'm playing with either setting it at 1 or 0, but that seems to have done the trick. Where I had the headband before, the brunt of the clamping was happening right beside my jawline, but now it's more so right under the ear and distributed more evenly (if that makes sense). Still not as comfy as a Meze headphone or the HD 800s, but this is definitely more manageable. I wish I did this a while ago.
Are you aware the headband has changed from the initial release - to a less tight/clampy version?

you may he the original version - drop audeze an email with your serial number to verify and check in. They were swapping them over at the time

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #5,883 of 6,785
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #5,884 of 6,785
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #5,885 of 6,785
plugged in my LCD-5 for the first time since getting my May KTE. Back to Mitchco's convolution (stock, no low shelf. It doesn't need any tweaking in my current configuration. Bass is plentiful and punchy when upsampling to DSD 256)

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #5,886 of 6,785
Are you aware the headband has changed from the initial release - to a less tight/clampy version?

you may he the original version - drop audeze an email with your serial number to verify and check in. They were swapping them over at the time
I already did. I actually noted it in the comment that I have the updated headband since my LCD-5 was created in March of this year. Unfortunately, as much as I love these, I'm going to have to sell them as they're too uncomfortable and I could use the money on some things I need to take care of with family. They've been a blast while I had them, but my head just doesn't mesh well with the headband at all.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #5,887 of 6,785
I already did. I actually noted it in the comment that I have the updated headband since my LCD-5 was created in March of this year. Unfortunately, as much as I love these, I'm going to have to sell them as they're too uncomfortable and I could use the money on some things I need to take care of with family. They've been a blast while I had them, but my head just doesn't mesh well with the headband at all.
just curious if the ear pads are large enough to allow the entire ear to fit without any pressure on the ears....

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #5,889 of 6,785
just curious if the ear pads are large enough to allow the entire ear to fit without any pressure on the ears....
Yep! I just think my head is too small for the LCD-5's to feel comfortable. It is what it is. I had the same issue with the Celestee and 2022 Utopia when I tried them (although the opposite problem). Because they didn't' seal around my ears properly, there was a lot of pressure caused at the center of the headband that caused pain at the top of my head.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #5,890 of 6,785
plugged in my LCD-5 for the first time since getting my May KTE. Back to Mitchco's convolution (stock, no low shelf. It doesn't need any tweaking in my current configuration. Bass is plentiful and punchy when upsampling to DSD 256)
What differences have you found? Also, have you tried any 1024 PCM or DSD512?

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #5,891 of 6,785
How do they differ in sound?
Other than what I've already posted In the Expanse thread, I'm not quite ready to share any other comparisons just yet, but soon.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #5,892 of 6,785
Yeah, I have no clue what you're talking about there my friend. If anything, the HD 800s is deemed too bright by many users.
Bright =\= not veiled

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #5,893 of 6,785
What differences have you found? Also, have you tried any 1024 PCM or DSD512?

I have tried PCM 1.536 mHz and DSD512 / AMSDM7 512 + fs (non EC as that will peg my M1 Mini). Not sure many computers on the market today can handle DSD 512 with Extended Compensation.

Out of those DSD256 / ASDM7ECV2 is the clear winner. Extended Compensation at DSD256 is a fuller, more resolving sound than DSD512 without EC

PCM 1.536 mHz is nice too, less resolving than DSD256. Slightly more punch (maybe) but DSD256 / ASDM7ECV2 is so natural and effortless on the Holo May.

Depending on the music native PCM in NOS sounds incredible as well. The Holo May just makes everything sound better to my ears, it brings out the best in everything (including the LCD-5)

Other HQP settings

SDM (DSD)
1x - poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx - poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

PCM
DAC bits set to 20
Sinc-Ll (MScaler equivalent)
LNS15 for 1.536 mHz

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,895 of 6,785
I have tried PCM 1.536 mHz and DSD512 / AMSDM7 512 + fs (non EC as that will peg my M1 Mini). Not sure many computers on the market today can handle DSD 512 with Extended Compensation.

Out of those DSD256 / ASDM7ECV2 is the clear winner. Extended Compensation at DSD256 is a fuller, more resolving sound than DSD512 without EC

PCM 1.536 mHz is nice too, less resolving than DSD256. Slightly more punch (maybe) but DSD256 / ASDM7ECV2 is so natural and effortless on the Holo May.

Depending on the music native PCM in NOS sounds incredible as well. The Holo May just makes everything sound better to my ears, it brings out the best in everything (including the LCD-5)

Other HQP settings

SDM (DSD)
1x - poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx - poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

PCM
DAC bits set to 20
Sinc-Ll (MScaler equivalent)
LNS15 for 1.536 mHz

This is about what I was thinking you would say. Appreciate you testing.

Now the real question.. was it worth the difference from the Pontus 2¿

Users who are viewing this thread

Back