Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #5,867 of 6,785
Anyone here with a small head who ones the LCD-5? I never realized how clampy these are (even with the updated headband) until I tried out the Liric's and HD 800s again for an extended period of time. Now it's hard for me to ignore the clamp (it was never really an issue for the three months I've owned it, but now I can't ignore it as easily :triportsad:).

Edit: Don't laugh at me guys, but I think I fixed a lot the clamping issue I was having (it's still tight, but not nearly as bad as before). I think I had the headband set a bit too high (I had it at 2 clicks before). I'm playing with either setting it at 1 or 0, but that seems to have done the trick. Where I had the headband before, the brunt of the clamping was happening right beside my jawline, but now it's more so right under the ear and distributed more evenly (if that makes sense). Still not as comfy as a Meze headphone or the HD 800s, but this is definitely more manageable. I wish I did this a while ago.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #5,872 of 6,785
I'm using the Lokius Max and I'm happy with it for the 5. I know this thread has turned into mostly EQ related posts.
I wanted simple, dial up or down what I prefer and I'm done.
Well, I bought LCD5 slightly used and will arrive today.
Reviews mentioned LCD5 will be best if EQ is applied.
However, SW EQ vs HW EQ. Which one is better?
I know that discreet parts are used with Schiit products. That means no chip involved here in the design.
Well, let me hear first vs Utopia OG vs HE1000SE then decide...

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #5,873 of 6,785
I know that discreet parts are used with Schiit products. That means no chip involved here in the design.
You are more likely to appreciate the difference between different PEQ settings, than between software vs hardware EQ. I.e. with hardware EQ you don't get the same flexibility; I honestly doubt most people could tell the difference between hardware/software EQ for the same settings.

If you really want EQ without compromise, and you listen mostly to your own music library (i.e. no streaming), then I very highly recommend PGGB to upsample your library; it can apply PEQ during the process so your resulting files won't diminish in dynamic range. Your playback software won't have to any additional processing, just pass the raw bits to your DAC.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #5,874 of 6,785
would really like to know how you like the LCD-5 vs the HE1000SE... thinking of trading up....

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #5,875 of 6,785
would really like to know how you like the LCD-5 vs the HE1000SE... thinking of trading up....
Waiting for UPS guide here for LCD5.
Planned to trade in my HD800S for LCD5 discount earlier but found a used LCD5 with reasonable used price without giving up HD800S.

Persuade my son for him to hear HD800S + WA6SE with upgraded tubes + Cobalt DAC or CAYIN RU6 DAC + his new game laptop = might be amazing for him rather that stupid Apple Pro ear bud.
Youngster today only know about convenient, not WOW factor from music....anymore....

Have him sit down and listening to vinyl, tapedeck, CD, Streaming = That was amazing Dad but like small BT speaker for my room please. That will be enough for him.

Can't make him enjoy more.....

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #5,876 of 6,785
I'm not sure about the HEKSE, but going to the Arya's from the LCD-5 made me think the Arya was broken. In comparison, the Arya is soft and dull, with a flat sound stage that might be wide, but is not deep.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #5,877 of 6,785
Sep 26, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #5,879 of 6,785
So has anyone compared the LCD5 to the DCA Expanse?
Some have and some haven't as much. I am one that hasn't as much.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #5,880 of 6,785

Users who are viewing this thread

Back