Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #5,852 of 6,828
Wondering how you made out with the Mojo 2 and what you found comparing your Ferrum amp to a more modest source. Personally, I am considering purchasing the LCD-5 with a modest solid state amp (mojo 2 or jot + bifrost combo) and then looking into something from Amps and Sound later on. Do you think I’ll be missing out on much starting with a Mojo 2?
The Mojo 2 is great with the LCD-5 but there was just something fatiguing about it compared to my Oor. I A/B tested the Oor against the Mojo 2 and there's just something non-fatiguing about the Oor + Bifrost 2/64 combo to my ears. Not a fair comparison between a desktop stack that costs $2800 to a dac/amp that's $550- but the Mojo 2 is really 95% of the way there and punches above it's price point. I wish I could say I don't hear a difference and save some money but alas. Here's my post in the Oor thread about it - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ferrum-oor-headphone-amplifier-with-a-soul.958541/post-17147529.

To answer your question- you won't be missing much, if anything, with the Mojo 2. I just knew that it was fatiguing given my experience with the smoothness the Oor provides.

Also I was going to part ways with my LCD-5 & Oor in order to fund a stereo- but that's not happening. This past weekend I listened to the new Animals by Pink Floyd remix and there's just something to the synergy I am experiencing. And I know if I sold the 5 + Oor, I'd buy it back eventually. So why either bother with the rigamarole of selling?

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #5,853 of 6,828
Wait, how/where did you get the Mojo 2 for $550?

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #5,858 of 6,828
I understand accept that many like to EQ I am just saying knowing ahead of time the HP needs to be EQ'ed would keep me from buying it

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #5,861 of 6,828
I don't use any streaming and wondering what anyone's opinion is regarding the EQ built into Foobar?

It's not great. Fortunately, Equalizer APO with the Peace UI is great. And it's free. I use that to EQ my 5 and the results are absolutely fantastic. It takes about 15 minutes to set up, but well worth taking the time to do so. If you go that route, there are tons of EQ profiles for the 5 that you can enter into the program and then tweak to your preferences.

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #5,862 of 6,828
Should I take the opportunity to trade in my HD800 OG or Clear MG to LCD-5 ? I know soundstage wise HD800 is larger, but what about everything else?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hd800 doesn't have a wide soundstage if properly driven. Any playback giving hd800 a wide soundstage actually lacks a lot of lower harmonics and density, giving the false impression of the HP naturally having a wide soundstage.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #5,863 of 6,828
Should I take the opportunity to trade in my HD800 OG or Clear MG to LCD-5 ? I know soundstage wise HD800 is larger, but what about everything else?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Unless you use EQ, you'll find the LCD-5 is less tonally accurate. But the HD800 is more veiled in comparison.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #5,865 of 6,828
Hi,
Anyone actually use an HW EQ like Schiit rather than SW for the LCD5?
The loki/us may work for elevating the bass, but the Q factor is not fine enough to properly even out the mids / raise the treble without effecting everything else around it negatively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back