Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 12, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #4,636 of 6,820
So I have now managed to put quite a few hours on my set. Some updated thoughts:

- The sound changes quite a bit over the first few hours. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you get them, listen to a few songs and decide that you don't like the sound signature. You have to put at least 30 or 40 hours on them.
- They are razor blades. The drivers are so sensitive that the slightest electrical signal is converted into sound waves. You will hear things in the music that you never even knew existed. The insight that you get into a performance is uncanny.
- The placement of instruments in the soundstage is pin point accurate. While the soundstage is not extraordinarily wide, the layering is superb.
- I find them very comfortable. I can easily wear them for 4 hours straight.
- Driven by the iFi PRO iDSD, the sound signature is pretty neutral with a slight midrange emphasis. Treble is slightly rolled off but definitely not at the expense of detail retrieval. The standout is the speed of the bass response, there are no bloated bass notes, it is extremely clean and accurate.
- I really dislike the cable. The tightly braided plastic tangles easily and just don't like the feel of hard plastic against my neck. I have settled on a Hart Audio cable with a 4.4mm termination.

I have done a bit of EQ (including Resolve v2) but I always get back to the un-EQ'd sound as my preference. Boosting the bass results in "overhang", reduces the speed of the bass and results in an unnatural decay of bass notes. Reducing the slight mid emphasis definitely impacts the layering of the sound stage.

These are the best headphones that I have ever heard. They don't just play music but they provide real insight into the process of making the music. You can not only "see" each instrument in its own space and follow it even in complex recordings but you also get a sense of what each musician is doing, the shuffle of a foot, bump of an elbow on the body of the instrument, breath taken etc. If this insight into the the music is not what you are after, please don't be like Z Reviews who disses the headphones when they simply do what they were designed to do.

These are very impressive headphones and I feel very fortunate to be able to own and enjoy them (my bank manager feels less fortunate).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #4,638 of 6,820
On the "to eq or not to eq" front, it does not have to be either/or. My sense is that no matter how great any headphone already sounds on its own, and no matter the technical wizardry that has been invested in its construction, it cannot possibly perform optimally with every track--giving the dizzying number of all the variables in the quality of audio track mastering that one encounters in this hobby, from song to song. I have never been some eq virtuoso, or a wizard in doing EQ tweaks, but even speaking of some rudimentary tone controls like the ones on the Schiit Loki/Lokius series, I know that there are many tracks on which performance can be taken up a notch by a small tweak here or there, as long as the listener knows exactly where and how to apply the tweak.

Confession : I sometimes find myself hating the idea of applying EQ tweaks, because I get lazy, and if I'm being honest, I suck at it. On the other hand, I can always hear the difference a skillfully configured EQ tweak makes whenever it is applied optimally... I am talking about even rudimentary tweaks such as those Audeze presets on Roon. Luckily those are pretty easy to handle : I turn them on when they work great for a given track, and off when they are not working so great to my ears (but I normally keep them on, most of the time).

The takeaway from all this : I need a serious crash-course in configuring and applying EQ tweaks.

On the other hand: I do not see EQing as some kind of magic bullet solution that will fix every headphone or transducer's subpar performance. Sometimes a crappy chain is just that, a crappy chain. In order to respond well to EQ, your headphone has to be already "properly" engineered and endowed with decent performance creds out of the gate, and, without any EQ, some headphones will sound better as all-rounders than others. That is also true, but is the LCD-5 one of those better all-rounders, sans EQ? That is a matter of subjective preferences, so it depends.

Personally, I have got enough enjoyment out if mine (even without changing the dreaded original headband) to banish any plans of selling it. I am also keeping it for its relative versatility. YMMV.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #4,644 of 6,820
Non sequitur, cars are not headphones :deadhorse: :v:
My take is that people feel headphones are not to be tampered with and enjoyed as is. Same can be said for cars :) spank me harder, i like it.

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #4,645 of 6,820
My take is that people feel headphones are not to be tampered with and enjoyed as is. Same can be said for cars :) spank me harder, i like it.

Same can be said for anything, but the rationalizations are not comparable. you asked for it ! lol:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #4,647 of 6,820
giphy_34.gif
minion%20animated%20laughing%20emoticon.gif

Y'all excuse the laughter! The collective insanity we all generate on head-fi needs an occasional outlet, but it can also have its beautiful moments.

To keep things on topic, the LCD-5 rocks.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #4,648 of 6,820
Happy Sunday friends! We have my impressions video on the LCD-5 Premiering today at 9 am PST.

I will share my impressions of the Flagship Planar Magnetic Audeze LCD-5. This video will focus on the build quality, design, and some of my sound impressions about the LCD-5. I purchased the LCD-5 last year when it was first released after hearing it at Can Jam, so I have had plenty of time to formulate my long-term impressions about the LCD-5 paired up with several amplifiers, as well as I have already made some sound and build quality comparisons to a couple of other flagship planar magnetic headphones in the same price range such as the DCA Stealth and most recently the Meze Elite videos which will be linked at the end of the LCD-5 Video. I hope you enjoy this video and have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

Marcello

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 13, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #4,649 of 6,820
After your review, I'm even hotter for my Lcd5. Hopefully he'll be back soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back