Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #4,546 of 6,820
So I guess good things do come to those who wait.

After ordering a set of these in November last year, they finally arrived - I am located at the most southern tip of Africa. My bank manager has tears in his eyes.

First impressions:
- Proper open back, there is just nothing that stops external sounds. It feels like there is nothing actually covering your ears. You hear every single ambient sound.
- Surprisingly light (just over 400g) when compared to some of Audeze's other monsters that can tip the scale at 700g.
- Build quality is as one would expect very good. They feel sturdy and well put together.
- The matt carbon headband is stunning.
- I was a bit nervous about comfort. These have the larger headband and I am relieved to say that they feel like my Beyer DT770Pro's. You forget you have them on. I have a big head and clamping force is medium to low. The headband is thinner that the standard Audeze suspension band and it took a few minutes to find a good resting point for it on my large head.
- The new slanted ear pads is a winner. There is much less pressure on your cheeks and the area around your ears.
- I don't care much for the standard braided cable. I need to compare it to my Hart and Toxic cables for sound but the actual design is not my bag.
- Not that easy to drive considering the 14 ohm impedance.

So how do they sound, initial thoughts are:
- Redefines the term "fast bass". I have never heard a double bass sound as good. Bass notes start and stop on a pin. Best I have ever heard from any speaker or headphone full stop.
- Very very accurate soundstage, pinpoint placement. Not HD800 wide, but extended and offers plenty of hight and depth.
- Extended treble, but never sharp.
- Insight provided into the recording is remarkable.

The un-EQ'd sound is very similar to the voicing of my main hifi (Devialet 440PRO + Vivid Audio B1 Decades), pretty neutral. Comparing these to the LCD2 Classic closed backs is quite funny. They are just so different that it is difficult to think that they come from the same marques.

Comfort really is excellent.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #4,551 of 6,820
I'm sure I saw Resolve's LCD5 EQ settings for Roon somewhere in this thread before but for the life of me I cannot find it.

If someone has the link at hand, please could you re-post?

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,552 of 6,820
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #4,553 of 6,820
https://forum.headphones.com/t/audeze-lcd-5-official-thread/14588/574

Got my pair of LCD-5's today and his EQ settings are quite nice.

I'll provide my impressions once I get a few more days with them. But my initial impressions of these headphones are stellar.
Much appreciated.

I've been spending an hour or 2 every evening with the LCD5 (driven by the iFi PRO iDSD) since I received them last Saturday and I'm at the point where I'm convinced it just simply cannot get any better than this.

The speed and precision of bass delivery is absolutely sublime. There is just no "fatness" or "overhang" in bass notes what so ever. Very impressive.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #4,554 of 6,820
I'm sure I saw Resolve's LCD5 EQ settings for Roon somewhere in this thread before but for the life of me I cannot find it.

If someone has the link at hand, please could you re-post?

Much appreciated.

I've been spending an hour or 2 every evening with the LCD5 (driven by the iFi PRO iDSD) since I received them last Saturday and I'm at the point where I'm convinced it just simply cannot get any better than this.

The speed and precision of bass delivery is absolutely sublime. There is just no "fatness" or "overhang" in bass notes what so ever. Very impressive.
I'm also back to Resolves v2 EQ settings. Bass cannot get even better it beats all headphones in this regard! It's so fast, it's so detail it beats Utopia. It's bright but never fatigue. My number 1 is the CRBN because I'm in love with its tonality and soundstage imaging. But technically LCD-5 is on par and I like to switch between the two.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4,555 of 6,820
How are you guys using the Resolve EQ? I’m new to EQ and own a Fiio M17 DAP so not sure what to do there. Is it PC only?

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #4,556 of 6,820
How are you guys using the Resolve EQ? I’m new to EQ and own a Fiio M17 DAP so not sure what to do there. Is it PC only?
Not sure how you would do it on the DAP.

I run Roon from an iMac and Roon has a parametric EQ function (like so):
Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 23.42.37.png

So you can simply program the EQ settings into Roon.

Roon also contains the EQ settings that Audeze have in their Reveal software. It looks like this:
Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 23.48.28.png

Unfortunately the LCD5 Reveal EQ settings have not yet been loaded into Roon.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #4,557 of 6,820
I've never used a DAP but looking at it it seems you have a phone in it, right? Android I know has EQ apps. Apple I'm not so sure about.

EQ is not exclusive to PC. But if you are going to EQ on Windows start by reading AutoEQ (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq ) which will lead you to the opensource project PeaceEQ

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #4,558 of 6,820
As was posted above about Roon, if your DAP supports it, the Roon EQ works well.

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #4,559 of 6,820
Much appreciated.

Nice! I too used the iDSD Pro Signature and it was an incredibly clean, fast and detailed listen. That bass was just ultra tight as you state, almost preferred SS over tube even just because of the technical synergy there.

I actually much preferred the Wells Audio Dragon L2 AMP for musicality, which to my ears adds a larger soundstage in depth and mainly height, with lusher midrange tones and slightly slower decay which helps with naturalness for instruments and vocals. LCD5 is a responsive HP and looking forward to adding the Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC into the chain to continue enriching the texture and organic sound. :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back