Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #4,291 of 6,780
Grounding issue. Try connecting a phono cable to another piece of audio equipment in your system. You may find the him moves around until you have been able to isolate and connect one or two pieces of audio equipment together with phono leads. Once done, touch each item to see if all are now grounded.
That’s what I figured initially too, but why can I only hear it in the LCD5, and not in the other headphones, and why only one ear cup, regardless of which cable is plugged into it?

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #4,292 of 6,780
That’s what I figured initially too, but why can I only hear it in the LCD5, and not in the other headphones, and why only one ear cup, regardless of which cable is plugged into it?
That is something that remains a bit of a mystery. It has been said that there is a high amount of metal in the LCD-5. There are many LCD-5 owners on this forum, and others, that have mentioned humming out of the right ear cup. Most popular is the use with a Chord TT2. This indicates that any amp without Grounding and has substantial power supplies will affect the LCD-5. If you are able to ground the system you will most probably be successful in resolving the Humming.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #4,293 of 6,780
That is something that remains a bit of a mystery. There are many LCD-5 owners on this forum, and others, that have mentioned humming out of the right ear cup. Most popular is the use with a Chord TT2. This indicates that any amp without Grounding and has substantial power supplies will affect the LCD-5. If you are able to ground the system you will most probably be successful in resolving the Humming.
That might make sense in my case, because the two amps where I had the issue (magni and thx) don’t have internal power supplies and don’t have a three prong plug. The codex, Jotunheim, and Mjolnir all do have a plug with a ground.
Still weird that with the LCD2, and even the SE846 (where I can usually hear an ant fart on the power cable) I hear nothing.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #4,294 of 6,780
Yes... I had a Singxer SA-1 Headphone Amp that came with a two pin plug. I rewired with a UK three pin plug and that Humming was resolved. But.... then it moved about my system until I grounded all by interconnections

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #4,295 of 6,780
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #4,296 of 6,780
That might make sense in my case, because the two amps where I had the issue (magni and thx) don’t have internal power supplies and don’t have a three prong plug. The codex, Jotunheim, and Mjolnir all do have a plug with a ground.
Still weird that with the LCD2, and even the SE846 (where I can usually hear an ant fart on the power cable) I hear nothing.
Also, noting I’ve played these a lot trough the poly/mojo and didn’t have any issue, but of course there isn’t any 60 Hz there to find

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #4,298 of 6,780
My LCD-5 had a hum but not on my Focal Elegia. If I touched my TT2, the hum went away. So I got Ifi's groundhog and it immediately fixed the issue.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #4,299 of 6,780
The lowest I have seen is 3500 on lcd5 and 3000 on elite. We can thank the first ones to sell them for the generous discounts. I believe a lot of them were not a fan of the old, tighter headband and not using eq. If I couldn't be bothered with eq, I don't think I would keep them, honestly.

Same. I am always curious about others in the same price range, but I am perfectly content with and loving these.
Over all my reading and research, I have come to these conclusions based on my preferences having heard none of them. Lol.

I didn't want to be limited by closed, so Stealth was out. Very much love the design and if I had to go closed, they would be owned no doubt.
Susvara: highly considered and almost purchased, in the end the amping requirements sealed it's fate but am now already up there in investment. With both eq'd and Resolve thinking better bass on LCD5, this is profound. New headband's comfort is a non issue.
1266 TC: out on vocal/mids according to some, polarizing reviews, deal killer, even though no one would really be seeing me, is the headband. Such a terrible design. No amount of sound quality could make up for it.
Elite: intrigued by the amount of love but can understand they are probably more balanced, deal killer, they are not technically better than any others as Wavetheory mentioned in his review "they are not even on the same island" as the others, lol! And, the headband is just equally ridiculous looking as the design on the 1266. It's the mounting point on the OUTSIDE of the cups that makes any design like that look silly. They need to conform closer to the anatomy of the head, not look like an apparatus that could serve as a neck brace.
Sr1a: bass roll off means non starter
Sol P: not enough info out there to gamble $6k with it alone.

Surprised you were using and selling without trying it. It's a magical transformation that unfortunately some may never experience or know. Like a supercharged version of itself.

What can I help with? Are you set up to where it is working at least? Meaning, can you hear a difference with it on or off?

I prefer to bring some of that treble hotness down with a .5db increase in each bass frequency.

Not at all.
Yeah, lol.

It is indeed a supercharged version of itself, with EQ.

But my selling decision had to do with other factors (travel, consolidation, more investment in estats etc), beyond how great the LCD-5 is, and it is indeed great.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #4,300 of 6,780
Yeah, lol.

It is indeed a supercharged version of itself, with EQ.

But my selling decision had to do with other factors (travel, consolidation, more investment in estats etc), beyond how great the LCD-5 is, and it is indeed great.
You going to get a pair of Shangri-la Sr headphones? I’m really close to pulling the trigger myself. I’m hoping my dealer can give a good discount, as I know Hifiman has crazy dealer markup.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #4,301 of 6,780
The LCD-5 equalizes better than any headphone I have ever tried. After trying many of the recommended equalizing options recommended here- I find that all of them to one degree or another make the sound closer to that of the TC. In fact- my favorite options are the one that get it closest to the TC sound.

My question to myself- is what do I gain by getting a 90% duplicate sound to my TC after EQ on the 5? I still prefer the TC, although the 5 with EQ is a close contender and does have the advantage of unlimited volume with zero distortion. I'm not sue this is enough of a reason to keep it.

I am still on the fence for a second headphone to go with my TC. Susvara is to soft; I tried it twice and it will not work for my tastes. LCD-5 is much better in this regard- but still not better than the TC overall. I am certinly not getting a new amp. for the SR1a or CRBN. I am getting closer and closer to accepting that the TC is the holy grail for me. I guess- this is not so bad.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #4,302 of 6,780
Some people seem to be name dropping me at Customer Service thinking they can expedite their headband requests.

That is not going to happen.

The circumstances I mentioned for a particular user was because his original comp form wasn't pushed through, so I submitted a replacement request, which is already what most of you have been put through. If we didn't ask you to write a review/impressions when asking for the new headband, then you didn't go through the old comp form process. You already already in the queue that everyone else is going through for our fastest shipment of these headbands.

edit: And in fact, he did receive his unit, it seems.
How about mine then? Can you also replace my order? I requested on 12/30/2021, if I'm really in the queue, it doesn't make sense that other folks requested later than me have received their headband whereas mine hasn't even shipped....

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #4,303 of 6,780
The LCD-5 equalizes better than any headphone I have ever tried. After trying many of the recommended equalizing options recommended here- I find that all of them to one degree or another make the sound closer to that of the TC. In fact- my favorite options are the one that get it closest to the TC sound.

My question to myself- is what do I gain by getting a 90% duplicate sound to my TC after EQ on the 5? I still prefer the TC, although the 5 with EQ is a close contender and does have the advantage of unlimited volume with zero distortion. I'm not sue this is enough of a reason to keep it.

I am still on the fence for a second headphone to go with my TC. Susvara is to soft; I tried it twice and it will not work for my tastes. LCD-5 is much better in this regard- but still not better than the TC overall. I am certinly not getting a new amp. for the SR1a or CRBN. I am getting closer and closer to accepting that the TC is the holy grail for me. I guess- this is not so bad.
*cough* Spirit Torino Valkyria *cough*

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4,304 of 6,780
You going to get a pair of Shangri-la Sr headphones? I’m really close to pulling the trigger myself. I’m hoping my dealer can give a good discount, as I know Hifiman has crazy dealer markup.
Considering it. I am still in a honeymoon phase with my 009S and to a degree, the 007, so let's see.

But exploring stats and their compatibility / synergy with different sources, as I honestly think they are far more chain picky than dynamics and planars.

I have a couple of DACs at home now to try with stats: the May and the Dave. Will be doing an impressions vid soon.

I am also going to get a Terminator II as a loaner and the dCS Bartok and see how stats fare with them. I most likely won't keep the Bartok due to price-to-performance having heard it before, but want to settle down with a stable stable soon, so to speak, hence looking to try as much as possible.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #4,305 of 6,780
How about mine then? Can you also replace my order? I requested on 12/30/2021, if I'm really in the queue, it doesn't make sense that other folks requested later than me have received their headband whereas mine hasn't even shipped....
For a point of reference, I put in my request on 12/28/ and just received my shipping notice yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back