Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #3,421 of 6,785
Well, I have both and I can't say which one is the best.
But we are talking about the bass-heavy D8000, not the bass-weak little brother D8000 Pro.
Both for me...not a fan of either.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #3,422 of 6,785
Ok so I’ve decided that I’m going to keep both the LCD5 and the Susvara. But the Utopia has got to go. The presentation of the LCD5 and the Susvara is really quite different. The LCD 5 is more closed in with a darker treble but the bass is better and the midrange is just so amazingly clean and three dimensional. The Susvara is incredible too - with much more air and a bigger soundstage. Bass not so good. Midrange - I think I might (just) prefer the LCD5 for its clarity and tactility - it’s like digital (squeaky clean LCD5) vs analogue (Susvara). Treble is very different. LCD 5 is a bit dark but so easy on the ear (which I like). Susvara is brighter and more airy but not so easy with poor recordings (I’m quite sensitive to bright treble). But then the Susvara has this wonderful evenhanded balance across bass, midrange and treble. The LCD 5 just seems more in control and sure footed - more grip. Turn up the volume and there’s zero distortion. It just keeps going…

But then if I swap quickly from the Susvara to the LCD5 the LCD5 sounds rubbish - like an AM radio. More compressed. It just takes a bit longer to reveal itself (brain adjustment if you like). It takes a while - its more like you are listening ”into” the music (LCD5) as opposed to being surrounded (Susvara).

But I love both headphones and I don‘t get it when people say one headphone “destroys” the other one. It’s either fan boyism or incredibly subjective.

The LCD5 really is amazing to the point where it is currently getting more listening time than the Susvara.. But that might be down to the fact that I use my valve amp for my LCD 5 which I think is a step above my solid state amp..

Will be fascinating to compare when my CFA3 arrives. One thing I’m sure of the funds from the Utopia are going straight to either the Diana TC or the full fat version.. That should provide an even greater counterpoint, Which is what I really love about headphones - diversity.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,423 of 6,785
Will be fascinating to compare when my CFA3 arrives. One thing I’m sure of the funds from the Utopia are going straight to either the Diana TC or the full fat version.. That should provide an even greater counterpoint, Which is what I really love about headphones - diversity.
I for one, vote for full fat, both when it comes to milk, and Abyss.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #3,424 of 6,785
Yesterday, I received (directly from Audeze) the updated headband with the lower spring force. It was shipped inside of a standard bubble wrap parcel in a small cardboard package, and included a small Allen wrench needed to loosen up the headband screws. Both headbands look and feel identical, and by hand seem to weigh the same (I don't have a scale).

I was unable to test it out last night, but this morning after an hour or so of wearing the OG headband, I disassembled it and tested it by hand against the new, lower spring force headband. Just by bending both headbands by hand, it was immediately obvious that the lower force headband had much more give. After installing the new headband and putting the headphones on, it was like a breath of fresh air due to the lower clamp force. I imagined I was wearing a completely different headphone, something like a set of cans with the clamp force of the Hifiaman Arya. Not near as loose as the Susvara, but they are certainly better in my opinion to the original headband. Audeze has stated that the newer clamp force is 30% lower, but if you told me it was lower than that, I would believe it.

Also, when the headphones are off my head, they rest in the same closed position. So if you were worried about them seeming more floppy / open looking off the head, you should have no issue.

As for sound, I have not A/B compared the two, but so far everything seems to be identical to the original headband. This could also be due to the fact that my current pads are well worn in from the higher clamp force band, so that same pad break in allows for the lower clamp headband to sound similar. I would imagine it could be in the realm of possibility that with the lower clamp force headband, pad break in could take longer to occur, which could be a source of differing sound signatures between newer and "more used" LCD-5s. Just a thought.

Let me know if you have any questions / concerns about the new headband, I'll try my best to answer them.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,425 of 6,785
Yesterday, I received (directly from Audeze) the updated headband with the lower spring force. It was shipped inside of a standard bubble wrap parcel in a small cardboard package, and included a small Allen wrench needed to loosen up the headband screws. Both headbands look and feel identical, and by hand seem to weigh the same (I don't have a scale).

I was unable to test it out last night, but this morning after an hour or so of wearing the OG headband, I disassembled it and tested it by hand against the new, lower spring force headband. Just by bending both headbands by hand, it was immediately obvious that the lower force headband had much more give. After installing the new headband and putting the headphones on, it was like a breath of fresh air due to the lower clamp force. I imagined I was wearing a completely different headphone, something like a set of cans with the clamp force of the Hifiaman Arya. Not near as loose as the Susvara, but they are certainly better in my opinion to the original headband. Audeze has stated that the newer clamp force is 30% lower, but if you told me it was lower than that, I would believe it.

Also, when the headphones are off my head, they rest in the same closed position. So if you were worried about them seeming more floppy / open looking off the head, you should have no issue.

As for sound, I have not A/B compared the two, but so far everything seems to be identical to the original headband. This could also be due to the fact that my current pads are well worn in from the higher clamp force band, so that same pad break in allows for the lower clamp headband to sound similar. I would imagine it could be in the realm of possibility that with the lower clamp force headband, pad break in could take longer to occur, which could be a source of differing sound signatures between newer and "more used" LCD-5s. Just a thought.

Let me know if you have any questions / concerns about the new headband, I'll try my best to answer them.

UPS just delivered mine too.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,426 of 6,785
Got it on. So simple. Just two allen screws. Important to back off a quarter turn from barely tight or adjustment of rods up or down is too tight.

10 min. in and it's a slight improvement in clamp. Like mentioned earlier in the thread, there was no problem with the force of the clamp before. I don't wear glasses and head is average. My slight discomfort came from my right ear sticking out a bit more than the left, so it had more pressure from contact of the pad or fazor mesh.

I think overall it is feeling better but doesn't take away from my right ear still making contact. The previous force just exacerbated it. I think a wider pad or spacer on the right would completely alleviate my specific case.

Attachments

• 20211218_121531 (2).jpg
    20211218_121531 (2).jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,427 of 6,785
But then if I swap quickly from the Susvara to the LCD5 the LCD5 sounds rubbish - like an AM radio. More compressed. It just takes a bit longer to reveal itself (brain adjustment if you like). It takes a while - its more like you are listening ”into” the music (LCD5) as opposed to being surrounded (Susvara).
I hear exactly this as well. Someone else here mentioned this also, something like the 5s sounding like an old tv.
So I try not to do it, lol.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,428 of 6,785
I hear exactly this as well. Someone else here mentioned this also, something like the 5s sounding like an old tv.
So I try not to do it, lol.
Yeah, I get where one would hear this. The mids are so different between the two, it's like drinking OJ after brushing your teeth.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,429 of 6,785
actually I find that when I switch from one HP to another it really does take some time to acclimate to the new HP especially when I go from say the LCD-5 to the sr1a...or basically any of my HP's to the sr1a but the same holds for switching back and forth from all of the HP's...sometimes I listen to the abyss TC and swear it is the best HP there is and then I put on my susvara and again decide it is the best there is etc...I try to start off fresh with a new HP by not changing from one to ther on the same listening session..I give my brain a chance to forget and start off the next day with a different HP...works for me and keeps it fresh

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,430 of 6,785
Ok so I’ve decided that I’m going to keep both the LCD5 and the Susvara. But the Utopia has got to go. The presentation of the LCD5 and the Susvara is really quite different. The LCD 5 is more closed in with a darker treble but the bass is better and the midrange is just so amazingly clean and three dimensional. The Susvara is incredible too - with much more air and a bigger soundstage. Bass not so good. Midrange - I think I might (just) prefer the LCD5 for its clarity and tactility - it’s like digital (squeaky clean LCD5) vs analogue (Susvara). Treble is very different. LCD 5 is a bit dark but so easy on the ear (which I like). Susvara is brighter and more airy but not so easy with poor recordings (I’m quite sensitive to bright treble). But then the Susvara has this wonderful evenhanded balance across bass, midrange and treble. The LCD 5 just seems more in control and sure footed - more grip. Turn up the volume and there’s zero distortion. It just keeps going…

But I love both headphones and I don‘t get it when people say one headphone “destroys” the other one. It’s either fan boyism or incredibly subjective.

The LCD5 really is amazing to the point where it is currently getting more listening time than the Susvara.. But that might be down to the fact that I use my valve amp for my LCD 5 which I think is a step above my solid state amp..

So much of what you've mentioned about your experience with the Susvara and LCD-5 is resonating with me as well it is tough auditioning both together and I am quite conflicted. Certainly might be easier to say I'll take them both, but I auditioned a 1266 TC last month and was thinking I would want that to be the "other" headphone to compliment whichever I choose between the Susvara and LCD-5. Plus now there is new source gear looming and cables too...

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #3,431 of 6,785
I have heard the 8000...imho no contest the lcd-5 is head and shoulders berrer
If you compare them side by side on a Benchmark rig, you could have a surprise...

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #3,432 of 6,785
Thankfully I'm not alone then. Exactly what I felt every time I do quick swap from Elite to LCD-5.

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #3,433 of 6,785
I had a demo D800s Pro and it was very underwhelming. I knew from the very first track the LCD-5 was a very good hp and a keeper!
Interesting - I have heard both and own d8000 plus sr009s, lcd 4. In my view there is no mileage gained owning the lcd5. Sound signature wise d8000 is very close to lcd5. For +20% price the latter is too expensive and not close enough to the starx sr009s coating effectively the same. I think d8000 is massively underrated. But possibly also a question to what you listen - me mainly classical opera

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back