Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,651 of 6,785
The bass hits a lot harder on the LCD-5 than the susvara. That's one of the reasons I sold my susvara. On drum kicks, it does a soft "love tap", instead of the "punch" an actual drum makes. Just my experience, on my amp.
I think it depends a lot of the Amp.
On my Niimbus Susvara bass can rumble when calling for.
I ordered LCD-5 and will compare both.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,653 of 6,785
Some more thoughts.. I'm not all fancy like many here, so I'm just gonna give you my thoughts on my music..

Back in Black ... loving the separation here, particularly on double-tracked guitar riffs.
Sad but True (Metallica) ... Thick drums. Can hear James' throat grating.
Sympathy for the Devil ... Wide bongos are wide. Mick's vocals are front and center, as are the electric guitar fills. Tight bass in the outro.
Here Comes the Sun ... George's vocals in my right ear. Goosebumps. Also, that flute (Moog?) in the last third..
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac) ... Nice soundstage on the band. Chorus vocals are spacious but tight and separated.
Sultans of Swing ... Lead fills and solos are so clean. Can feel the overdrive in the guitar.
Eye in the Sky ... It's amazing how these can make really great recording and production pop. This album sounds so good.
Stairway to Heaven ... Can confirm it still sounds good. :)

In Your Likeness (Woodkid) ... Deep vocals that resonate. Crisp percussion around a large empty room.
Oxytocin (Bille Eilish) ... Not her biggest fan, but this track pumps on the bass, the vocals are around you, and the drum-machine hits.
Wish (Nine Inch Nails) ... Such a noisy track, but you can still pull out what you're looking for.

--

Drums! They sound good!
I mean, of course you put some Rush on for this..
The timbre really is only comparable to what I've heard being in a room with a drummer. The quality and detail of the sound is just not something I'm used to. It's crisp, but at the same time it has depth and bass and clarity. Even a quick snare hit, I'm incredibly impressed with the weight that comes through with it. Thick.

Let's talk about bass
It's hard to describe, really. It's not what most would call "Audeze Bass" ... it's better, but different. I don't think anything has been taken away, but the definition and clarity extends lower, and it transforms how you hear the bass that is there. That said, if you're someone who wants a FLOOD of bass, you're gonna want to EQ these. Not because they should have more bass, but because they're representing the recordings genuinely. They don't have less bass than my LCD2's, they just have a lot more definition up above.

--

Note: My source is a PC running Roon streaming Qobuz or local FLAC. No EQ (yet!). Schiit Gungir (Multibit/Unison) + Mjolnir 2. Balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #1,654 of 6,785
Some more thoughts.. I'm not all fancy like many here, so I'm just gonna give you my thoughts on my music..

Back in Black ... loving the separation here, particularly on double-tracked guitar riffs.
Sympathy for the Devil ... Wide bongos are wide. Mick's vocals are front and center, as are the electric guitar fills. Tight bass in the outro.
Here Comes the Sun ... George's vocals in my right ear. Goosebumps. Also, that flute (Moog?) in the last third..
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac) ... Nice soundstage on the band. Chorus vocals are spacious but tight and separated.
Sultans of Swing ... Lead fills and solos are so clean. Can feel the overdrive in the guitar.
Eye in the Sky ... It's amazing how these can make really great recording and production pop. This album sounds so good.

In Your Likeness (Woodkid) ... Deep vocals that resonate. Crisp percussion around a large empty room.
Oxytocin (Bille Eilish) ... Not her biggest fan, but this track pumps on the bass, the vocals are around you, and the drum-machine hits.
Wish (Nine Inch Nails) ... Such a noisy track, but you can still pull out what you're looking for.

--

Drums! They sound good!
The timbre really is only comparable to what I've heard being in a room with a drummer. The quality and detail of the sound is just not something I'm used to. It's crisp, but at the same time it has depth and bass and clarity. Even a quick snare hit, I'm incredibly impressed with the weight that comes through with it. Thick.

Let's talk about bass
It's hard to describe, really. It's not what most would call "Audeze Bass" ... it's better, but different. I don't think anything has been taken away, but the definition and clarity extends lower, and it transforms how you hear the bass that is there. That said, if you're someone who wants a FLOOD of bass, you're gonna want to EQ these. Not because they should have more bass, but because they're representing the recordings genuinely. They don't have less bass than my LCD2's, they just have a lot more definition up above.

--

Note: My source is a PC running Roon streaming Qobuz or local FLAC. No EQ (yet!). Schiit Gungir (Multibit/Unison) + Mjolnir 2. Balanced.
Thanks for posting that ~ that’s great

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,656 of 6,785

--

Drums! They sound good!

Let's talk about bass

--

+1 for stairway to heaven. Sounds incredible on the 5. It's a shame the recording falls apart 3/4 the way through the track.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,659 of 6,785
I have 0 issues with LCD5 comfort and a fairly large head (not chubby though).

A dream compared to HifiMan clamping pressure
What hifiman?

The he1000 and susvara had zero pressure whatsoever in my experience

Actually I’d easily go as far as saying the susvara is unmatched in comfort but that is debatable

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,660 of 6,785
What hifiman?

Actually I’d easily go as far as saying the susvara is unmatched in comfort but that is debatable
Arya Ananda He1k v1

The new Ananda's feel like vice grips. They just might not fit my head. I have an oval shape so maybe the headband doesn't distribute the weight properly?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,661 of 6,785
What hifiman?

Some of the interesting things I read from Sean Olive’s research leading to the famous Harmon Curve are two factors which significantly affected people’s perception of their headphones in Harmon’s tests: leakage and position. Small changes in where the headphones were placed on the head yielded larger changes in the perceived likability/accuracy of the frequency response and similar effects were found when there were small leakages in the seal between headphone and head. I wonder if there is a tradeoff between comfort and leakage. Untested but I wonder how comfort and consistency of placement on the head are related.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,662 of 6,785
Some of the interesting things I read from Sean Olive’s research leading to the famous Harmon Curve are two factors which significantly affected people’s perception of their headphones in Harmon’s tests: leakage and position. Small changes in where the headphones were placed on the head yielded larger changes in the perceived likability/accuracy of the frequency response and similar effects were found when there were small leakages in the seal between headphone and head. I wonder if there is a tradeoff between comfort and leakage. Untested but I wonder how comfort and consistency of placement on the head are related.
Do you know what headphones the Harman institute used for their test?

Audeze have mentioned that they designed the LCD-5 with a goal to have a more consistent sound profile regardless of headphone placement on the head. Perhaps the clamp force has a bit to do with that goal.

From my experience, every headphone changes in sound profile in different ways depending on head placement. I think every focal headphone I've had has been the worst offender; it takes quite a while to adjust their placement to get the optimal sound stage and tonality. The susvara, on the other hand, can sound pretty equal regardless of placement. When I created a small air gap with the susvara, the bass could hit bit harder. When I move the older LCD cans forward, the sound stage changes but tonally stays similar. It's a very interesting topic, and should certainly be a point of research among manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back