Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 27, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #751 of 6,785
So, in your opinion, a violectric v550 would be able to get best out of the the LCD 5 with room to spare ?
It has plenty of voltage headroom and can put out 4W into 33ohms has very low output impedance (nice combination to have for a low impedance headphone), based on measurements I saw, has very low distortion between 100mW and 1W, it should drive LCD-5 with ease. However I have not listened to it, so beyond that I cannot comment on how it will sound.

Since there are a few mentions of Hugo2, Hugo 2 is my preferred DAC/Amp on the go, Hugo2 can put out 2W and can even drive my 8 Ohm Omega CAMs at normal listening volumes in a near field setup . LCD-5 sounds satisfying driven out of Hugo2 and I would be happy with it if it were my only amp. It does scale very well (both transparency and dynamics) when I go to my Chord DAVE (I use a SJ PSU). There is a lot of personal preference at play, I value transparency and resolution more than I do dynamics and body, when I plug LCD-5 into my King Amp, I loose some resolution but gain a bigger soundstage and more body.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #752 of 6,785
My quick LCD-5 take away from Canjam. (DISCLAIMER: JUST ONE PERSONS OPINION)

Comfort
Light weight
Pads seal with a firm clamp that stays planted without any movement when rotating my head.
Sound
Tight, controlled and even across the board. It did not sound overly emphasized in the bass or air.
Clear precise imaging/separation that can handle busy passages
Micro detail is above average. (Did not directly compare to Susv.)
Overall, NOT a boring listen. More of a lean forward and exciting listen than lay back.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #753 of 6,785
How capable is the Burson Soloist 3X with these?

My quick LCD-5 take away from Canjam. (DISCLAIMER: JUST ONE PERSONS OPINION)

Comfort
Light weight
Pads seal with a firm clamp that stays planted without any movement when rotating my head.
Sound
Tight, controlled and even across the board. It did not sound overly emphasized in the bass or air.
Clear precise imaging/separation that can handle busy passages
Micro detail is above average. (Did not directly compare to Susv.)
Overall, NOT a boring listen. More of a lean forward and exciting listen than lay back.

So more open compared to something like the Ananda? Would the stage be between an arya and Ananda? The Ananda is one of my favorites for tone but it cannot separate busy passages

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #754 of 6,785
16 ohm: 8W balanced/ 4W SE -- the Soloist 3X could probably blow these drivers if you run at full throttle over a prolonged period. :)

Burson makes some great stuff, so I think you'd be set with that.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #755 of 6,785
It has plenty of voltage headroom and can put out 4W into 33ohms has very low output impedance (nice combination to have for a low impedance headphone), based on measurements I saw, has very low distortion between 100mW and 1W, it should drive LCD-5 with ease. However I have not listened to it, so beyond that I cannot comment on how it will sound.

Since there are a few mentions of Hugo2, Hugo 2 is my preferred DAC/Amp on the go, Hugo2 can put out 2W and can even drive my 8 Ohm Omega CAMs at normal listening volumes in a near field setup . LCD-5 sounds satisfying driven out of Hugo2 and I would be happy with it if it were my only amp. It does scale very well (both transparency and dynamics) when I go to my Chord DAVE (I use a SJ PSU). There is a lot of personal preference at play, I value transparency and resolution more than I do dynamics and body, when I plug LCD-5 into my King Amp, I loose some resolution but gain a bigger soundstage and more body.
Looking up my own rig (Schiit Gungnir / Mjolnir 2), realized the Mjolnir is discontinued! Glad I’ve got one and I think the LCD-5’s will love it.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #756 of 6,785

So more open compared to something like the Ananda? Would the stage be between an arya and Ananda? The Ananda is one of my favorites for tone but it cannot separate busy passages
I have not heard Ananda or Arya in a while. lol

Stage with Bryston BHA1 was open sounding. Sounds left and right are slightly outside of the head. It did not bug me being congested or small... Which is good!

It was pretty loud on the show floor :]

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #757 of 6,785
I have not heard Ananda or Arya in a while. lol

Stage with Bryston BHA1 was open sounding. Sounds left and right are slightly outside of the head. It did not bug me being congested or small... Which is good!

It was pretty loud on the show floor :]
The Anandas are quite inside your head. Do you recall which tracks/genres you listened to?

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #758 of 6,785
Aside from the Hugo2, any portable DAC/amps that would do these cans justice? Something pocketable? I don’t know enough about voltage swings, etc. to figure this out.

Asking because the LCD-5 weighs so little, it’s begging to be more portable than its predecessors.

Then again, this question may be better answered once you folks get your hands on it!

Someone test it out of the iPhone dongle.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #760 of 6,785
I have two headphones in my cart but can only choose one...

LCD5 and Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC

New and Shiny or Bold and Brash...

The one track that I trust and have listened to a million times is "Are you in?" Incubus Album: Morning View

It is my reference track if I had one.

That's a fantastic album.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #761 of 6,785

What’s your amp? That could be the deciding factor

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #762 of 6,785

I mean ... my main listening is Rock and Metal and I'm going with the 5's. Not based on anything except for I've been using LCD-2's for 10 years. And the Abyss look silly af.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #763 of 6,785
What’s your amp? That could be the deciding factor
Burson Soloist 3X

I mean ... my main listening is Rock and Metal and I'm going with the 5's. Not based on anything except for I've been using LCD-2's for 10 years. And the Abyss look silly af.
Likewise.... with a mix of every other genre

Really depends on the mood... one night I'm trancing and the next night I am listening to orchestral and a minute later I'm listening to death metal.

Tonight? Tons of Tool, Chevelle and SOAD with occasionally a touch of Lindsey Sterling :D

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #764 of 6,785
Burson Soloist 3X

Likewise.... with a mix of every other genre :D

Tons of Tool and SOAD with occasionally a touch of Lindsey Sterling :D
Ok, I’m not familiar with that amp, but I did a quick search. It appears powerful enough. I’d get the TCs. Pretty much everybody loves them, and those that don’t, end up liking them later.

Admittedly, I haven’t heard the LCD-5, but from initial impressions, it’s likely not a TC beater

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back