Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #346 of 6,785
Head-Fi Terms of Service:
  1. Be polite. We encourage debating in the forums, but please avoid defamatory statements, personal attacks, racial slurs, name-calling, and cursing at others in the forums.

Be cool y'all, be cool. :sunglasses:

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #347 of 6,785
I refute the couch reference, I use a recliner

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #348 of 6,785
Nope, I’m going by the review posted in the first post and the FR graph. Until we have more reviews I’m not sure what you are expecting :deadhorse:
I was expecting wider acceptance and openness, not only based on a few initial comments and one video introduction.

Don't take it personal, as several other forum members have reacted the same way. It is not against you, but against an attitude without sufficient knowledge. Against quick judgement. Without having personal experience.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #350 of 6,785
Audeze, what’s with the tortoiseshell, was it your intention to make us all look like sexy librarians
I will say... my wife is not a fan of the tortoiseshell look. She also commented that it reminds her of old people and the early 90's. lol
And, I have to agree. I'd prefer a straight black over that.

But, if it delivers the sound I'm looking for then, meh, whatever. It's not like I'm wearing them outside the house or trying to be fashionable.
Let's be real, pretty much any audiophile headphone actually makes anyone look dorky when they're being worn. Even the LCD-4.
If you disagree, then I'm going to assume you're just too dorky to know any different. :wink:

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #351 of 6,785
Your dog looks fine

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #352 of 6,785
What is the LCD-5 bringing to the table? If I want extreme detail, I’ll go with my SR1as or probably even the Audeze CRBN. I’m struggling to see what the LCD-5 brings to the table in terms of innovation. Sure it’s lighter, but I can wear my LCD-4s for hours with no problems, so I don’t really care about a lighter weight LCD-5.
What I'm looking for is musicality. I want highly technical abilities in a somewhat just warm side of neutral presentation. I'm not a detail whore, nor am I seeking 'air' like a hippy tripping on LSD, man.

When I've listened to TOTL headphones, I've often found myself initially impressed with their technical abilities, but they often left me wanting more in the sense of musicality. This means different things to different people.

I want to sit down and get immersed within my music with a nice glass of whiskey or wine. Feeling like the artists came over to my place just to hang out and jam. Many TOTL cans may do one thing better than others, but they lack a lot of that cohesion that allows me to get lost in my music.

If the LCD-5 is a slightly more "natural" tuned variation from the LCD-4, that may be right down my alley.
Conversely, if it's peaky or just shy of being a bright can, then probably not going to be my thing.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #354 of 6,785
I have a lot of respect for you but I don’t understand what there is not to get. People clearly like quantity and quality of the LCD4 bass. Producing the next flagship model which doesn’t build upon this or at least retain is clearly going against the grain. It’s rather simple really.
Except, there is no foundational difference in bass. They both measure ruler flat.

What was improved was frequencies elsewhere. When you raise other frequencies, those things you're accustomed to being louder in the mix are no longer as loud, due to the improvements elsewhere. That's just how sound works. How could Audeze improve upon the LCD-4 if everyone just wants the LCD-4 again? This is the baffling issue here.

You simply can't have it all. You want an LCD-4, get an LCD-4. Audeze has raised the deficiencies that were in the LCD-4. That has a byproduct of not having the same 'lower end' focus as before.

Seriously, you just can't make everyone happy.

Someone asks for an Audeze headphone with less upper mid-recession. Audeze does just that, and all the sudden, it's an issue.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #356 of 6,785
Yay!
LCD-5 delivered!
just wanted to write this before i start unboxing and start comparing with my trusty LCD-4 !

I have big hopes, Audeze please don’t disappoint me!

I will keep you guys with my A/B comparison
Is that a pre release review pair? Or just a regular purchase? Thats pretty quick delivery, as I thought they were aiming for the first half of october!

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #357 of 6,785
Very curious about the comfort. The LCD-X is so plush, it’s like the leather interior of a car. I recall Currawong mentioning comfort might be slightly reduced due to the pads (or perhaps I read it wrong).

Anyway, eager to hear about comfort!

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #358 of 6,785
What I'm looking for is musicality. I want highly technical abilities in a somewhat just warm side of neutral presentation. I'm not a detail whore, nor am I seeking 'air' like a hippy tripping on LSD, man.

When I've listened to TOTL headphones, I've often found myself initially impressed with their technical abilities, but they often left me wanting more in the sense of musicality. This means different things to different people.

I want to sit down and get immersed within my music with a nice glass of whiskey or wine. Feeling like the artists came over to my place just to hang out and jam. Many TOTL cans may do one thing better than others, but they lack a lot of that cohesion that allows me to get lost in my music.

If the LCD-5 is a slightly more "natural" tuned variation from the LCD-4, that may be right down my alley.
Conversely, if it's peaky or just shy of being a bright can, then probably not going to be my thing.
Sounds like you might like the LCD-R :wink:

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #359 of 6,785
The Tortoise shell cup looks like the Rad-0 cups to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back