Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 22, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #4,036 of 6,785
I own all 3...it is not behind them in terms of clarity...it is a different presentation that we all hear differently...there is not enough difference in terms of detail between the 5,the susvara and the 1266 tc to weaste a lot of time debating it...if detail is your thing go for the sr1a

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,037 of 6,785
Jan 22, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,038 of 6,785
I'm not. Almost everyone on head-fi that has compared the CRBN to the LCD-5 has said the same exact thing (not a huge difference between the two btw, and closer house signature overall as I've said before). But the TC, Sr1a, and 009 are all clearer than the CRBN. So it's not something I'm imagining. Even Trance who clearly disagrees with me has said that without EQ the tonality of the LCD-5 is bad.

Now surely, I expect and understand why people in *this* thread and at this point in time disagreeing with me. Also, if people are EQing (which it seems like EVERYONE is--and again, you have to ask the question why), again that changes everything.

So why you are keep the LCD-5 and not sell them?
I also read all the comments here and you are the only one that said this I think.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #4,039 of 6,785
I don't want to start an endless debate.
Let us relax and hear music with one of these great headphones. It sounds they are all broken what they are not for sure.
BTW in germany is late night and I must go to bed haha.
But heck even without EQ I cannot stop listening to the LCD-5. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #4,040 of 6,785
I don't want to start an endless debate.
Let us relax and hear music with one of these great headphones. It sounds they are all broken what they are not for sure.
BTW in germany is late night and I must go to bed haha.
But heck even without EQ I cannot stop listening to the LCD-5.
they're all broken in one way or another. That's the beauty and the mess.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #4,041 of 6,785
a little too much reverb in the mix. Seemed a bit muddled on LCD-5 but the Abyss brought clarity and scale.
You cheeky... Bah.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #4,042 of 6,785
So why you are keep the LCD-5 and not sell them?
I also read all the comments here and you are the only one that said this I think.

I am selling them lol. Post will be up by next week, but I did want to do an in-depth comparison with all of the Audeze headphones before doing so.

And again, yes, I get that people in THIS thread aren't all saying this. Again, honeymoon period and a lot of people are also comparing from the LCD-4. I am not, I am comparing to other TOTL headphones that I have on hand. If you don't believe me, search for CRBN/LCD-5 comparisons in other threads, I have agreed with nearly all of them.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #4,043 of 6,785
they're all broken in one way or another. That's the beauty and the mess.
Like the TC in mids but so what? I put Trivium in and get the best reproduction for metal I know. Best tonality, details and speed is not all to have fun!
My sleepy driver problem is fixed and TC baby is coming next week...missing it a lot.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #4,044 of 6,785
I am selling them lol. Post will be up by next week, but I did want to do an in-depth comparison with all of the Audeze headphones before doing so.

And again, yes, I get that people in THIS thread aren't all saying this. Again, honeymoon period and a lot of people are also comparing from the LCD-4. I am not, I am comparing to other TOTL headphones that I have on hand. If you don't believe me, search for CRBN/LCD-5 comparisons in other threads, I have agreed with nearly all of them.

So good luck.
Many of people here is happy with this headphone and only you said some other things so that is not matter.
And no, some people also was compared this to some other headphones and not only to the CRBN or the LCD-4.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #4,045 of 6,785
Like the TC in mids but so what? I put Trivium in and get the best reproduction for metal I know. Best tonality, details and speed is not all to have fun!
My sleepy driver problem is fixed and TC baby is coming next week...missing it a lot.
There is a convolution filter coming for the TC, you will love it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #4,046 of 6,785
So good luck.
Many of people here is happy with this headphone and only you said some other things so that is not matter.
And no, some people also was compared this to some other headphones and not only to the CRBN or the LCD-4.

This is honestly the thing I hate most about this site and is the reason I left for years before coming back. So many people are so emotionally tied to their gear that a simple valid, critical take of a pair of headphones is unsettling or offensive.

So all of us that have agreed regarding the LCD-5's lack of clarity (and again, outside of this thread there have been plenty) should just stay out of this thread indefinitely as to protect everyone else's feelings? I'm sorry but that just that's just absolutely ridiculous.

But please carry on, yes, the LCD-5 is the most detailed and transparent headphone that's out there..........

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #4,047 of 6,785
Look, I also respect your and everyone else's opinions. I'm not attacking you at all, just disagreeing. But you've admitted that you don't even like the LCD-5 at all out of the box and you're clearly EQing it drastically to be something it's not. I don't care if people EQ their headphones, but drastically changing a headphone to something the manufacturer didn't intend it to be, and then comparing it to others in serious fashion is just ridiculous. You can change any TOTL headphone to be whatever you want it to be.

Lastly, I'm pretty experienced and have made a ton of comparisons of TOTL headphones in my own personal thread that resonates with a lot of users. We definitely do all hear differently, but certainly I understand how tonality impacts perceived resolution. Brighter headphones can seem artificially detailed and overly resolving, and warmer headphones sometimes slower and less clear/detailed. I'm aware of that, I've mentioned it plenty of times. And yet, this isn't that. There is clearly better resolution and clarity in these other TOTL headphones than there is with the LCD-5. The proof really is that even my warmer headphones, Audio Technica L3000, 007, and even LCD-R and CRBN all sound clearer than the LCD-5. This is very, very clear to me and again they are warmer headphones so it completely obliterates the concept that I'm being fooled by a brighter or lighter tonality.
As someone who owned the LCD-R, and even compared the LCD-R + attenuated speaker amp vs LCD-5, there is no universe in which the LCD-R has more clarity than the LCD-5. It's a great headphone, and even better without the Jot A, but not that great.

Also, Audeze completely expects some of their customers to use EQ. They even designed several of their headphones to have greater technical performance by sacrificing the FR. No matter how much EQ someone uses, it will never make it a headphone that it wasn't originally. So if adding a bass and treble shelf while lowering the 3k hump makes the LCD-5 sound better than a stock susvara, there's no pretending going on. It's just the LCD-5 being it's best self.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #4,048 of 6,785
Look, I also respect your and everyone else's opinions. I'm not attacking you at all, just disagreeing. But you've admitted that you don't even like the LCD-5 at all out of the box and you're clearly EQing it drastically to be something it's not. I don't care if people EQ their headphones, but drastically changing a headphone to something the manufacturer didn't intend it to be, and then comparing it to others in serious fashion is just ridiculous. You can change any TOTL headphone to be whatever you want it to be.

Lastly, I'm pretty experienced and have made a ton of comparisons of TOTL headphones in my own personal thread that resonates with a lot of users. We definitely do all hear differently, but certainly I understand how tonality impacts perceived resolution. Brighter headphones can seem artificially detailed and overly resolving, and warmer headphones sometimes slower and less clear/detailed. I'm aware of that, I've mentioned it plenty of times. And yet, this isn't that. There is clearly better resolution and clarity in these other TOTL headphones than there is with the LCD-5. The proof really is that even my warmer headphones, Audio Technica L3000, 007, and even LCD-R and CRBN all sound clearer than the LCD-5. This is very, very clear to me and again they are warmer headphones so it completely obliterates the concept that I'm being fooled by a brighter or lighter tonality.

I think it is important to keep things separate and what kind of music is being tested when giving opinions.
Your assessment is WITHOUT EQ - music: Unknown. We already know it is not going to meet everyone's tastes.
This is the most important thing I take into consideration. Unfortunately, I can not and will not accept a tonality at face value of any headphone. I don't trust any manufacturer to perfectly match my preference and I am financially unable to have a headphone for every genre like some of you.

From what I gather, with EQ; according to some, better than or on par with others in the class. This is where it somehow magically transforms into what some of you may never know is possible that chose not to.

If you are not going to eq or listen to bass heavy music like I do, then I appreciate your opinion, your experience in other areas, but it isn't taken into consideration for me.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #4,049 of 6,785
As someone who owned the LCD-R, and even compared the LCD-R + attenuated speaker amp vs LCD-5, there is no universe in which the LCD-R has more clarity than the LCD-5. It's a great headphone, and even better without the Jot A, but not that great.

Also, Audeze completely expects some of their customers to use EQ. They even designed several of their headphones to have greater technical performance by sacrificing the FR. No matter how much EQ someone uses, it will never make it a headphone that it wasn't originally. So if adding a bass and treble shelf while lowering the 3k hump makes the LCD-5 sound better than a stock susvara, there's no pretending going on. It's just the LCD-5 being it's best self.

We can agree to disagree, which is totally cool. And the LCD-R and LCD-5 are closer in tonality and sound than anything else (only tonality wise, bass is an absolute landslide for the LCD-5). It's a toss up, take your pick. Neither are transparent. (but the LCD-R's mids are amazing, and the LCD-5 right behind that. I'm not saying transparency is an end all be all). The difference is much clearer in regards to more transparent headphones.. i.e. not the LCD-R or 007.. but certainly with the TC/Sr1a/009.

And on the second point I just absolutely disagree. Once you introduce EQ, and drastically to the point of literally not liking the headphones out of the box to EQing to actually liking them, no comparisons should be made. Again, you can do this with any headphones. But that is just my opinion.

I think it is important to keep things separate and what kind of music is being tested when giving opinions.
Your assessment is WITHOUT EQ - music: Unknown. We already know it is not going to meet everyone's tastes.
This is the most important thing I take into consideration. Unfortunately, I can not and will not accept a tonality at face value of any headphone. I don't trust any manufacturer to perfectly match my preference and I am financially unable to have a headphone for every genre like some of you.

From what I gather, with EQ; according to some, better than or on par with others in the class. This is where it somehow magically transforms into what some of you may never know is possible that chose not to.

If you are not going to eq or listen to bass heavy music like I do, then I appreciate your opinion, your experience in other areas, but it isn't taken into consideration for me.

I think this is totally fair and reasonable. If EQ was my thing I probably wouldn't listen to me either. Again, I have no problem with people doing so. But people can't act as if impressions without EQ are totally irrelevant when no other TOTL headphones absolutely require EQ and when no one is EQing to the level that the LCD-5 are doing. Again, if EVERYONE thinks EQ is necessary, it says a LOT. Likewise, if you EQ, your opinion is less relevant to my assessment, although still relevant to others.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #4,050 of 6,785
I think this is totally fair and reasonable. If EQ was my thing I probably wouldn't listen to me either. Again, I have no problem with people doing so. But people can't act as if impressions without EQ are totally irrelevant when no other TOTL headphones absolutely require EQ and when no one is EQing to the level that the LCD-5 are doing. Again, if EVERYONE thinks EQ is necessary, it says a LOT. Likewise, if you EQ, your opinion is less relevant to my assessment, although still relevant to others.
Not necessary, but it certainly turns the table according to Resolve.
It's most notable to me that he stated something along the lines of CRBN didn't do anything better than LCD5 when both are eq'd. Granted, this is just one opinion.. It does say a lot when a simple eq makes such a tremendous change of opinion of all others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back