Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 14, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,576 of 6,785
Maybe a better way to say it is things could have been better executed. People here said they regret buying from a dealer, that next time they will order from Audeze direct or after hearing others experience decided to order from Audeze to save the wait. Take that however you will.

My belief is when you sell luxury products you attract discerning buyers with higher expectations (like overnight shipping) - maybe you don’t care but others do…. if you’re going to sweat the details with magnesium and carbon fibre why not the rest? It should be easy and fun to spend 4.5k - this is why I stopped caring about watches it became a major pain to get one.

Someone brought up challenges building inventory or distribution, but those are not insurmountable problems, many luxury brands work around the issue - here’s two strategies: allocate stock to preferred partners which rewards them and their most valued customers. Directly fulfill initial orders for dealers or have regional distributors fulfill them until enough supply builds to create local inventory. Both temporary fixes and creates fairness and a better experience, so you don’t get the complaints presented.

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,577 of 6,785
Alright everyone, I've got another short amateur impression on the LCD-5 bass / dynamics vs the LCD-MX4 bass / dynamics.

I know many of you LCD-4/Z owners are curious to hear if the LCD-5 lives up to the LCD-4 bass and dynamics, and while I no longer own the LCD-4, I hope my impression can be somewhat useful.

So, do the LCD-5s measure up to the MX4 in terms of bass and dynamics? In a short answer, certainly! I'll go into detail now, starting with an explanation of my test setup.

For the source setup, I'm going from the RME Adi 2 FS XLR out to the topping A90 to power the MX4, and RCA out to the IHA-6 for the LCD-5. Using my trusty SPL meter, I volume matched both cans at 200hz and 300hz, to make the comparison as fair as possible. Since the MX4 is lacking in mid energy compared to the LCD-5, the 5 would sound a bit louder in comparison. So to even the playing field, I used EQ profiles for both cans such that when playing music, the average and max SPL from each headphone would be very similar. This, in theory, should reduce how much the mids interfer with the perception of the bass.

Once I was satisfied with my test setup, I started to listen to several different albums and tracks renowned for their drum and bass lines. I started with Fleetwood Mack - Chains, then listened to several Red Hot Chili Peppers tracks (including pretty much the entirety of SA-Jupiter!), Nirvana, Pantera, and various other rock tracks.

At first, it was difficult to tell which headphone presented bass "best". For dynamics, it was an obvious win for the LCD-5. Even with a purposefully lowered volume, the LCD-5 had more noticable punch to the drums and percussion. That being said, "best" in headphone lingo is extremely subjective, but I'll try my best to explain what I think "good" bass to be.

In my opinion, good bass in a headphone is like having your own personal kick drum, right next to your ear. Not in terms of loudness, but in terms of tactility. I had never heard this in a headphone, and never knew it could even exist until I heard my first LCD-4; it was a 2019 version, and it presented bass in the most incredible fashion. It could go deep into the sub bass, and it created it's own sound separate from the rest of the music. I found this same technical performance in the MX4, which is why I thought it would be a good idea to hold on to them until I could compare it to the LCD-5.

So, the million dollar question is, does the LCD-5 have this same quality in bass as the LCD-4 and MX4? In my opinion, yes. It stacks up quite well against the MX4. Let me explain:

As I stated in the beginning, I've matched SPLs of both headphones at the bass frequencies. This is important, because if you're the kind of listener who dials in their volume to a certain loudness level by ear, then you very well might be listening to the bass frequencies at a lower volume compared to the previous LCD cans. This would give the impression that sub bass is not as "present" in the LCD-5, but in reality it's because the LCD-5 has more mid energy. While this isn't a problem for people who plan on using EQ, I can see it being a draw back for people who don't.

That being said, I'll go deeper into the bass comparison. The MX4 has good, powerful bass when it comes to drum kicks. However, compared to the LCD-5, the sound blooms ever so slightly more, and doesn't punch as hard. This gives the impression that the MX4 has a deeper sound on bass drum kicks compared to the 5, and many listeners might find this as a more pleasing sound in certain songs/passages. The LCD-5, in comparison, will present the bass kick as a harder hit, with less bloom from the kick. In busy passages where the bass kicks might get lost in the MX4, the LCD-5 is ever willing to keep pushing those drums hits to your ears.

When it comes to sub bass performance, I had a harder time figuring out which can was "best", so I think I'll just give it a draw. Both headphones dug deep into the sub bass, and presented music with the same head-filling sound.

Before I got the LCD-5, my biggest point of contention was that it wouldn't have the bass texture and power I loved in the MX4 and 4. Upon my first listening with the LCD-5, I had the impression that it certainly did have the bass I was hoping it would. Now that I've done a direct comparison, I'm personally very pleased.

Alright, I'm done rambling with my subjective account. I hope someone was able to get something out of this!

Also, I've posted some images below of the LCD-5 driver and the LCD-R driver in comparison. The LCD-5 driver trace looks to be wider, and has a much finer finish. The LCD-R looks less mirror-y, and a bit more jagged.

20211014_164223.jpg
20211014_160833.jpg
Screenshot_20211014-171030_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #1,578 of 6,785
I think that impressions from regular customers are better.
I was being sarcastic in my post, and have added code to indicate that.

Honestly, I think people on Head-Fi expect a lot from reviewers, whether they be regular customers, YouTubers, or professionals. Those of us that aren't paid to do reviews don't necessarily have the time or patience to post a three page in-depth analysis of a new headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #1,579 of 6,785
I've shot an LCD-5 vs. Susvara video. As is only appropriate, people who are supporting my video reviews get to see it first.
That being said, I don't think that you're missing anything much more than a different flavour of excellent if you already have the D8000 Pro, and you already have one of the best all-rounders as far as listening goes.
Thanks for your reply Currawong. I'll look into becoming a supporter as I seem to share your preferences most of the time. The D8000 Pro was the headphone that gave me the realization that transient response was not the end-all-be-all for resolution. It has an amazing life-like real & natural presentation that trumps headphones with even faster transients, not that D8K Pro doesn't have amazing technicalities which it does but I totally got the part when you said in your review that it seems to have more resolution than your previous flagships. My current pet theory is that it's not just about raw transient speed, but the timing of those same transients, driver control, and density of the material/type of material used for the driver membrane that creates "resolution". Anyway, I'll post a brief LCD-5 vs. D8K Pro deathmatch impression as soon as I can get my hands on one

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,580 of 6,785
Maybe a better way to say it is things could have been better executed. People here said they regret buying from a dealer, that next time they will order from Audeze direct or after hearing others experience decided to order from Audeze to save the wait. Take that however you will.

My belief is when you sell luxury products you attract discerning buyers with higher expectations (like overnight shipping) - maybe you don’t care but others do…. if you’re going to sweat the details with magnesium and carbon fibre why not the rest? It should be easy and fun to spend 4.5k - this is why I stopped caring about watches it became a major pain to get one.

Someone brought up challenges building inventory or distribution, but those are not insurmountable problems, many luxury brands work around the issue - here’s two strategies: allocate stock to preferred partners which rewards them and their most valued customers. Directly fulfill initial orders for dealers or have regional distributors fulfill them until enough supply builds to create local inventory. Both temporary fixes and creates fairness and a better experience, so you don’t get the complaints presented.
As someone else pointed out, the only way to avoid a backlog would have been to build up significant inventory before announcing the product. That would represent several disadvantages to Audeze, not least of which would be high up front capital outlay with no offsetting cash flow. The only real downside for them is prospective customers losing patience and buying a competing product, but that seems minor compared to the benefits of a timely product annoncement.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,581 of 6,785
As someone else pointed out, the only way to avoid a backlog would have been to build up significant inventory before announcing the product. That would represent several disadvantages to Audeze, not least of which would be high up front capital outlay with no offsetting cash flow. The only real downside for them is prospective customers losing patience and buying a competing product, but that seems minor compared to the benefits of a timely product annoncement.
This isn't specific to Audeze only, but there are alternatives which incorporates a balance for all parties involved to offset "capital outlay" and a better customer experience:
  • e.g. X% deposit to get the build started, and remainder owed when ready to ship. The customer understands it'll take time during deposit.
    • 1634260846686.png
  • e.g. If 100% payment is required up front, telling the buyer it'll be ready X months out but "we will over-communicate progress". The customer understands it'll take time during purchasing time.
    • 1634260625914.png
Just a simple "Shipping starts" is a bad overall customer experience - as it's indefinite. The customer doesn't understand it might be delivered in November/December+ until weeks later.
1634260505525.png

To be honest, it reminds me of Nvidia's 3080 paper launch with a select random few that get to enjoy the 3080. Fortunately, the LCD5 demand isn't high enough for sneaker bots. lol

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,582 of 6,785
I have never seen the LCD-4s in the flesh but I just noticed that they also have a carbon fibre headband. Lcd-4 owners, did you find that they stretched out or loosened at all over time?
I have had mine for 3 1/2 years and they have not stretched out or loosened to any noticeable degree.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #1,583 of 6,785
Apparently an early prototype before Audeze ditched the wooden cup idea on the LCD5.
Sadly Audeze said they have no plans of limited runs with different cup materials.
I personally do not mind the cup material much as long as they sound awesome.

245496034_10158089688387132_2006784586996856509_n.jpg
While the acetate finish on my LCD-5 is more of less inconspicuous, I would have preferred this wood version, personally.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #1,584 of 6,785
I think wood may have added significantly to the weight. The LCD-5 are certainly not heavy and lighter than even the LCD-4Z.

My limited impressions were - Bass was well controlled without being overly boomy or excessive. Refined but present. But not overemphasised. Which is exactly where my preference lies.

I'm not a headphone reviewer per se. So will defer to others more experienced in their descriptors.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #1,587 of 6,785
While the acetate finish on my LCD-5 is more of less inconspicuous, I would have preferred this wood version, personally.
This just reminds me of the sadness I felt when I was packing my LCD-4 into the box in order to return it for the LCD-5 upgrade. Strangely, that wood finish was the only aspect of the 4 that I was feeling that sadness about. That wooden finish gives it a certain polish and an air of gravitas that I think I am going to miss a lot, although I had never considered myself to be much of a stickler for any headphone's cosmetic aspects--that is, until the time came to say goodbye to that LCD-4. It was also when I formally realized and admitted to myself--for the first time, after more than 2 and 1/2 years of ownership-- that it was the best looking headphone in my stable--better looking than both the Susvara and the 1266 TC, at least to my eyes. I completely understand why Audeze decided to ditch the wood concept in order to lighten the weight of the LCD-5 but for purely selfish reasons, i am now wishing they had offered an optional real wood-cupped version of the LCD-5 for those among us who did not mind the weight of the LCD-4. Oh well.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #1,588 of 6,785
This just reminds me of the sadness I felt when I was packing my LCD-4 into the box in order to return it for the LCD-5 upgrade. Strangely, that wood finish was the only aspect of the 4 that I was feeling that sadness about. That wooden finish gives it a certain polish and an air of gravitas that I think I am going to miss a lot, although I had never considered myself to be much of a stickler for any headphone's cosmetic aspects--that is, until the time came to say goodbye to that LCD-4. It was also when I formally realized and admitted to myself--for the first time, after more than 2 and 1/2 years of ownership-- that it was the best looking headphone in my stable--better looking than both the Susvara and the 1266 TC, at least to my eyes. I completely understand why Audeze decided to ditch the wood concept in order to lighten the weight of the LCD-5 but for purely selfish reasons, i am now wishing they had offered an optional real wood-cupped version of the LCD-5 for those among us who did not mind the weight of the LCD-4. Oh well.
Well the LCD-4 looks better than the Abyss by FAR and still better thsn the Susvara.
I second you on that.

Best looking LCD is still the LCD-R (maybe even best looking headphone)
And the second best looking LCD imo is the LCD-2C, which might be a very unpopular opinion.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #1,589 of 6,785

For anyone following the rollout of the Empyrean Elite, the problem is basically identical: demand vastly outpacing available stock, only one review.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back