Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,831 of 2,477
I did the mod too on both sides but only took away maybe 2mm on both sides lol did he cut 4cm off? 😂 Anyway, the mod made the thing much more comfortable..

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,835 of 2,477
Cross posting in relevant threads. SO I just got the Hugo 2 and 2GO. This is a brief review of the H2G) and comparison with FIIO M15 and Mojopoly with LCD4Z... this review is about sound quality only... iI am still getting connectivity issues with Roon on the 2GO in different rooms.

OK

I have never heard a hugo2 before so my 1st experience is with the 2go attached.

I have LCD4Z.

I had been using FIIOM15 for last few weeks balanced. My Mojopoly collecting dust. I thought I'd write something immediately based on 1st impression... may make a youtube vid.
1st. My experience has now confirmed that there are MANY on headfi that are entirely full of SH!T... ALSO synergy is important. I know that AUdeze tuned the 4Z with a hugo 2 so maybe this pairing has some magic.

SO

1st... Hugo 2 is smaller than i expected in person... it looks bigger in pictures... while bigger than a typical DAP its size is manageable.

2nd... FIIO M15 is a wonderful step up from Mojopoly balanced... it drives the LCD 4z quite nicely... Id say a 10% bump over poly.. air.. dynamics etc.

I also read some dude saying the Hugo 2go was like a little slice of Dave... and I was thinking "BS!"

well here it is..

The H2GO destroys the FIIO M15 with the LCD 4Z... dynamics... air everything... maybe this pairing is something special and would not work with every HP. But it is shocking how much better... we are talking at least a 40% bump over Mojo Poly and 30% over Fiio M15... not having heard the SP2000 or IBasso DX220 MAX... I really can't see either of these being close.... this thing is a freaking knockout... and i have been a critic of Chord.... now if they get their game together on the connectivity and SW issues they are the kings. YES this is like a slice of TT2/Mscaler (i have one) in your hand.

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,836 of 2,477
Cross posting in relevant threads. SO I just got the Hugo 2 and 2GO. This is a brief review of the H2G) and comparison with FIIO M15 and Mojopoly with LCD4Z... this review is about sound quality only... iI am still getting connectivity issues with Roon on the 2GO in different rooms.

OK

I have never heard a hugo2 before so my 1st experience is with the 2go attached.

I have LCD4Z.

I had been using FIIOM15 for last few weeks balanced. My Mojopoly collecting dust. I thought I'd write something immediately based on 1st impression... may make a youtube vid.
1st. My experience has now confirmed that there are MANY on headfi that are entirely full of SH!T... ALSO synergy is important. I know that AUdeze tuned the 4Z with a hugo 2 so maybe this pairing has some magic.

SO

1st... Hugo 2 is smaller than i expected in person... it looks bigger in pictures... while bigger than a typical DAP its size is manageable.

2nd... FIIO M15 is a wonderful step up from Mojopoly balanced... it drives the LCD 4z quite nicely... Id say a 10% bump over poly.. air.. dynamics etc.

I also read some dude saying the Hugo 2go was like a little slice of Dave... and I was thinking "BS!"

well here it is..

The H2GO destroys the FIIO M15 with the LCD 4Z... dynamics... air everything... maybe this pairing is something special and would not work with every HP. But it is shocking how much better... we are talking at least a 40% bump over Mojo Poly and 30% over Fiio M15... not having heard the SP2000 or IBasso DX220 MAX... I really can't see either of these being close.... this thing is a freaking knockout... and i have been a critic of Chord.... now if they get their game together on the connectivity and SW issues they are the kings. YES this is like a slice of TT2/Mscaler (i have one) in your hand.
I love the 4z
I had the 2go/h2 combo briefly with it, I found it too forward, too aggressive, sometimes maybe bright. But very revealing and detailed.
I jumped to tt2 and things got way better!
But the H2 with the 2go was definitely sweet in sense of transparency. And at the price (if bought used) H2 is actually extra bad ass. The 2go got annoying quick and I dlnt think it's worth its price.
Its an enjoyable combo, expecially if you like an intense, insisive listen

Try HQplayer up sampling with it. I think you'll love it even more. Free trial

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,837 of 2,477
I love the 4z
I had the 2go/h2 combo briefly with it, I found it too forward, too aggressive, sometimes maybe bright. But very revealing and detailed.
I jumped to tt2 and things got way better!
But the H2 with the 2go was definitely sweet in sense of transparency. And at the price (if bought used) H2 is actually extra bad ass. The 2go got annoying quick and I dlnt think it's worth its price.
Its an enjoyable combo, expecially if you like an intense, insisive listen

Try HQplayer up sampling with it. I think you'll love it even more. Free trial
i have tt2 mscaler... that rocks... H2GFO is like a nice slice of that .. better than any other DAP with 4Z

i use upsampling in Roon.... is HQ player better????

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,838 of 2,477
i have tt2 mscaler... that rocks... H2GFO is like a nice slice of that .. better than any other DAP with 4Z

i use upsampling in Roon.... is HQ player better????
Hqplayer upsamples through roon, they *talk*together. You can configure roon to take hqp, but if you got mscaler no need to worry about it. You allready got upsampling done!
I wonder why u bothered with the H2. I guess portable..

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,839 of 2,477

OK

I have LCD4Z.

SO

well here it is..

4Z + H2 is my go-to portable solution around the house as well. It works incredibly well for the music I like to listen to.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #1,840 of 2,477
Hqplayer upsamples through roon, they *talk*together. You can configure roon to take hqp, but if you got mscaler no need to worry about it. You allready got upsampling done!
I wonder why u bothered with the H2. I guess portable..
portable.... if in living room i am listening TT2 and mscaler.

the question is... for my portable use case (H2 + 2GO).... is roon upsampling as good as hq player? or is hq player better?

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,843 of 2,477
Could someone explain the difference between the two revisions of the lcd 4z that have been mentioned? The only difference that I've seen is the grill color. Mine is more copper colored and I bought it during the black friday sale of last year so I'm curious which revision I have.

On a side note I ordered a Wywires platinum cable during their sale despite recent mixed reviews on this thread so will hopefully have that soon to post some impressions. I'm not really hoping for anything sound wise but could be a nice surprise if I notice a difference. Mainly I just wanted a lighter cable and something of a shorter length than the stock cable.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #1,844 of 2,477
Could someone explain the difference between the two revisions of the lcd 4z that have been mentioned? The only difference that I've seen is the grill color. Mine is more copper colored and I bought it during the black friday sale of last year so I'm curious which revision I have.

On a side note I ordered a Wywires platinum cable during their sale despite recent mixed reviews on this thread so will hopefully have that soon to post some impressions. I'm not really hoping for anything sound wise but could be a nice surprise if I notice a difference. Mainly I just wanted a lighter cable and something of a shorter length than the stock cable.
If you aren't expecting sound quality increases I think you'll enjoy the slick look lightweight and build quality. Otherwise it's generic connectors and no Sq change to me with my system

Jul 11, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,845 of 2,477

I was told it's just the fabric. The earlier ones apparently the fabric fades/tarnishes too easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back