Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #2,476 of 2,502
4z.jpg I decided to go with the LCD-4z, and just received mine!

I have auditioned LCD-X, LCD-XC, LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-4z, LCD-MX4, Arya, D8000, Empyrean, Ether 2, Ether Flow, ADX5000, HD800 S, Focal Clear, HE-1, HD650.
It's been quite a ride, with a repeating pattern:
1) getting interested in a headphone
2) reading rave reviews, getting more excited
3) then reading one or two negative reviews, having everything thrown into doubt again
4) getting interested in a more expensive model
and repeat :wink:

I don't doubt that the 4z isn't perfect, and that other headphones outperform these in some ways. From my experience, quality really did scale with expense, and there's a lot of headroom for that in this hobby. Happily, the 4z brought me to tears when listening to some of my favorite songs, out of the box, with no break-in - I had never head this music like this before, it feels like hearing it for the first time. They blow my Adam S2X midfield monitors out of the way.

I love it when a new piece of tech has that effect on me, even after having been around the block a few times, and becoming more difficult to impress each time.
I am not alone… I feel like you wrote this just for me,,, I know this is an older post, but thank you so much. I'm considering these headphones on the Used market. Do you by chance still have them?

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2,477 of 2,502
May 26, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #2,478 of 2,502
Hi, I have an ask of LCD-4z owners... I am curious to try them...

I am based in Bay Area, CA. Is anyone nearby who could allow me to meet up and try or I am also happy to cover overnight shipping and send full deposit and give a "Fee" or "Gratuity" of $100+ for the kindness to allow me to try for a day. I can overnight to me and back to you within a day.

Please check my reviews...honest headfier with many sales and buys.

Currently own the LCD-5 and I have always been curious on the 4z.

Thank you!!

May 26, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #2,479 of 2,502
I am based in Bay Area, CA. Is anyone nearby who could allow me to meet up and try or I am also happy to cover overnight shipping and send full deposit and give a "Fee" or "Gratuity" of $100+ for the kindness to allow me to try for a day. I can overnight to me and back to you within a day.

If this doesn't pan out, Audeze does have a 30-day return period (source):

How does your 30 day trial work?

We hope you love your new Audeze headphones, but if you don't, we offer a 30-day return policy with no penalty (assuming nothing is missing or damaged). The customer is responsible for return freight to Audeze, using a shipping method with tracking. We don't refund shipping costs or import duties/taxes. If you decide you need to return your headphones, contact us at support@audeze.com before the end of the 30-day period after delivery and we'll assist with shipping information.

Jun 19, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #2,480 of 2,502
Anyone have this issue, every once in a while the right ear driver cuts out, then randomly cuts back in. It's doing it a lot more frequently. Maybe someone has a fix for it?
I tried to replace the headphone cable, thinking that was causing it.

I believe I will have to get in contact with Audeze so they can fix one of my favorite headphones. I've had most Lcd hp, never had an issue with any of them. Looks like my luck finally ran out. Will see how they help me out with the situation. I'll keep everyone updated on how the process goes. Here's crossing fingers

EDIT: SOLVED - Researching what could possibly be wrong and the vast fixes across the internet. I ran across one fix that actually worked. Maxing out the volume on my amp to the headphone, making it as loud as possible, fixed something inside the headphone and I've been listening to my lcd-4z all day today without issue. Right problematic driver has not cut out once after doing this. Leaving this here, just incase anyone else runs into this issue.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,481 of 2,502
sounds like it could be a cable connection issue if not a driver issue,try a different cable

Jul 20, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #2,483 of 2,502
I just bought the 4z after reading this entire thread and I have to say my initial impression was extremely poor. Bought them from Hifiheaven after a trade for a pair of Hifiman HE1000 V2 Stealth and an Aune S17 Pro. I’m currently running a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 into a Schiit Lokius and then a Hifiman Goldenwave Prelude.
With the HE1000’s the sound was sublime, totally articulate, amazing soundstage with a hint of warmth. The issue, though, was the bass or lack thereof. The Stealth version has some punch relative to the SE version and isn’t as analytical, but I love a healthy amount of slam/punch from my headphones when the music calls for it. This brought me to my purchase of the LCD 4Z.
This is my first pair of Audeze headphones and, after reading such positive comments in this thread, I took the plunge. When I first put them on, I noticed that they are a bit heavier, but nothing that would prevent me from wearing them for hours. I would also note that they exude quality. While the design might have its shortcomings, the look, feel and even weight convey a sense that you’ve purchased something meaningful. This is clearly not a toy.
Initial impressions with the sound signature were not as pleasant, however. The bass was hidden relative to even the HE1000 Stealth. I’ve read ad nauseum about Audeze’s house sound and that deep, impactful bass being one of its signatures. The letdown was pretty severe given the price paid and I thought a return was imminent after listening to them for over 5 hours. I did sleep on it, though and let them burn in overnight and into the following afternoon.

The first song I played was the now ubiquitous Kill Jill—a staple for determining bass impact—and I noticed the bass seemed to have awakened somewhat. I did some eq-ing with the Lokius and listened a bit more. There was still a bit of honk and not as much clarity, but I stopped and let them burn in for another 14 hours at least. Between my ears becoming accustomed to the sound and any residual burn-in effect (Audeze does their own), I am slowly falling for these headphones and their sound. The bass has REALLY opened up and the veil shifting to a lovely warmth that permeates all music maintaining a euphonic character throughout. The 4Z is a resolute set of headphones and the detail is absolutely there, but eq has been a necessity for me in order to obtain more air at the top end. The planar system Audeze use allows for some incredible musical moments. An example I love to use for mids/detail retrieval is Carlos Ambrosio’s solo guitar interpretation on Bach’s Rondo Gavotte, which is simply magical on the 4z. Every note seems to be plucked out of the aether with the dynamics of the headphones capturing the nuance of his playing perfectly.
There are, however, two drawbacks that I want to mention, the first of which is the rod system used to elevate or lower the position of the cups. The small chamber that is enclosed over the rod, will, at times, shift down if I move my head ever so slightly. I’m not sure if this a quality control issue or if it moves due to the weight of cup, but it is a bother, although nothing I couldn’t live with. The other problem is the slanted pads. While I assume Audeze had a specific reason for this implementation, the pads feel like they are being pushed forward off my head from the weight of the rest of system. Again, I make a minor adjustment and I’m fine, but it is an annoyance.
I could go on for a few more paragraphs, but I’ve already overstayed my welcome and this is actually my first post, so forgive me.
To conclude, with the exception of a few caveats, these headphones are truly special, but you need to be patient and willing to potentially eq them. If you are (patient and willing, that is), the result is nothing short of spectacular.

Jul 21, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #2,484 of 2,502
It's truly a great headphone... I almost traded/sold it but thanks to a Headfi member who explained the sound qualities, I still have it & enjoying the experience
However, I too have some issues with the ear-pads touching my lower jaw which causes a bit of discomfort after some time

Jul 21, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #2,485 of 2,502
It's truly a great headphone... I almost traded/sold it but thanks to a Headfi member who explained the sound qualities, I still have it & enjoying the experience
However, I too have some issues with the ear-pads touching my lower jaw which causes a bit of discomfort after some time
It's not without its issues, but I agree: it is a lush experience.

Jul 21, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #2,486 of 2,502
I use no equalizer and love them. They do have a small soundstage- but they are energetic and thick sounding, with superb texture, timbre, and tone. Even though they do not need alot of power technically- when they get it- the detail and treble sparkle opens up quite a bit with no equalizer. Exapmpe: I heard them on an OOR/Hypsos which has much more power than these could ever need and then on a CFA-3- which is double the power of the OOR- and the CFA-3 really changed everything because it gripped those drivers and brought the best out of them. I believe ALL planars need power- no matter the sensitivity. The more the better.

I also have a HE1000 V2 non stealth- and I love it. Bigger soundstage by alot and superb tonality-- but the 4Z has texture and meatyness that the HE1000 can not achieve.

So- both are great.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #2,487 of 2,502
I use no equalizer and love them. They do have a small soundstage- but they are energetic and thick sounding, with superb texture, timbre, and tone. Even though they do not need alot of power technically- when they get it- the detail and treble sparkle opens up quite a bit with no equalizer. Exapmpe: I heard them on an OOR/Hypsos which has much more power than these could ever need and then on a CFA-3- which is double the power of the OOR- and the CFA-3 really changed everything because it gripped those drivers and brought the best out of them. I believe ALL planars need power- no matter the sensitivity. The more the better.

I also have a HE1000 V2 non stealth- and I love it. Bigger soundstage by alot and superb tonality-- but the 4Z has texture and meatyness that the HE1000 can not achieve.

So- both are great.
@rsbrsvp: Thanks for helping me retain my LCD 4Zs :)

Jul 21, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #2,488 of 2,502

So- both are great.
I couldn’t agree more. Running the Hifiman Prelude (10W@32Ohms) makes them sing. They are a more intimate headphone and that is a strength not a flaw. The imaging on the other hand is exceptional.

Jul 21, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #2,489 of 2,502
EXACTLY. They are an INTIMATE headphone- not an airier etherial one. Enjoy them for what they are and dont try to make them into what they were not ment to be. If you want air- get a Susvara--- but it is thin IMHO-- not my taste at all-- but to each their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back