Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,816 of 2,477
I Guess I'm just an idiot..
I don't understand what's going on at all... How stupid can I be?

The strap stays in position as it was. All 4 holes are used.
The plastic band shifts up and is only screwed in by it's two bottom holes, to the top of the strap holes. Essentially creating a bit of a gap between the plastic band and the leather strap when you put it on your head.

edit - you can see the two unused plastic band holes in the picture.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,817 of 2,477
The strap stays in position as it was. All 4 holes are used.
The plastic band shifts up and is only screwed in by it's two bottom holes, to the top of the strap holes. Essentially creating a bit of a gap between the plastic band and the leather strap when you put it on your head.

edit - you can see the two unused plastic band holes in the picture.
I understand, sorry I needed kindergarten explanation
And what benefit does this offer?

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,818 of 2,477
I understand, sorry I needed kindergarten explanation
And what benefit does this offer?

Previous to this, the plastic band had no clearance to the leather strap when it was on my head. The back of the plastic band would be resting on top of the leather, and thus digging into my head a bit. It was creating a hotspot. Now the plastic doesn't touch at all, only the leather strap rests on my head.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,819 of 2,477
I Guess I'm just an idiot..
I don't understand what's going on at all... How stupid can I be?
He just raised the carbon fiber headband to create more of a space between it and the leather pad. When sitting on your head, it gives you more of a gap between the two. It makes it so that the leather pad doesn't feel like it's touching the carbon fiber headband. The newer Hifiman headphones are great at this. The difference is on Hifiman products, the leather pad is attached to the adjustment slides on a fixed headband. Where you're effectively moving only the pad up or down. While on Audeze headphones, the headband and pad move together as one.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,820 of 2,477
Previous to this, the plastic band had no clearance to the leather strap when it was on my head. The back of the plastic band would be resting on top of the leather, and thus digging into my head a bit. It was creating a hotspot. Now the plastic doesn't touch at all, only the leather strap rests on my head.
Doing it now!

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,821 of 2,477
OK I fixed the plastic headband part digging into my head. I have no idea why Audeze ships these with such loose leather headbands, but there is a simple workaround using the existing holes.

I found the answer in the response post here ( the OP uses a destructive method, not recommended )

"There is a far easier and reversible thing you can do, just shift the metal band higher, and when you screw the screws back in, the bottom ones will only be holding in the L/R symbol pad, while the top screws will be the only thing holding the metal headband. "

Now when I put it on the leather is on my head but the plastic part is a good half inch floating above!
Can you give exact instructions what to do here and include some pictures I am having the same issue with a plastic carbon fiber digging into my head

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #1,823 of 2,477
i just made this adjustment... now the carbon band sits about 1 inch + above head... there must be a reason AUdeze did not set it up like this.

this looks ridiculous.... and looking at the pics now there will probably be stress fractures from this method. going back
61843FDD-5B56-4FBE-A344-FBD29FBC15AD_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #1,824 of 2,477
i just made this adjustment... now the carbon band sits about 1 inch + above head... there must be a reason AUdeze did not set it up like this.

this looks ridiculous.... and looking at the pics now there will probably be stress fractures from this method. going back61843FDD-5B56-4FBE-A344-FBD29FBC15AD_1_105_c.jpeg
I agree, I don’t like the way that mod looks. Plus, I don’t have an issue with the current headband setup.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,825 of 2,477

this looks ridiculous.... and looking at the pics now there will probably be stress fractures from this method. going back

Mine is nothing drastic like that. I'm guessing my leather band is longer than yours. Stock, it pretty much rests touching the plastic directly when on my head.

With the mod, I can just barely fit my fingers between the plastic and the leather, when it's on my head.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back