Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
May 5, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,576 of 2,477
I had the 4z for a while along with the chord dave and it never sounded anything but outstanding to my ears

May 5, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,580 of 2,477
where can i find a cheap basic audeze cable that is ready to ship? does anyone hve one?
It also depends on how you would like to define "cheap and basic" in quality and $$$ signs. Audeze stock cables, such as those that come with the 4, the 4z, and the i4, are already anything but "cheap and basic," in this sense. It makes one wonder whether the quality of cable you're looking for is worse than the quality of the stock cable, which does not make much sense to me (why should anyone go to the trouble of wanting an aftermarket cable which is worse than stock, especially, when one has already paid top dollar to acquire a headphone of the caliber of a 4 or 4z?)

On the other hand, I have got a 6 foot Norne Solvine 2S cable (Silver/Copper) with a 4-pin XLR balanced termination that I once ordered for my Audeze cans. While it is a decently good performer (most likely better than stock), it does not quite rise to the level of my Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 or even S1 in terms of its performance. On the other hand, I wouldn't include it in the ranks of "cheap and basic" either...

In other words, and to put it simply, I am struggling to understand what you categorize as "cheap and basic," (in terms of the quality and price range you have in mind), especially if you would like it to perform better than stock (which is why anyone would go looking for aftermarket cable options anyway, I assume).

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #1,583 of 2,477
Cheap, poop basic cheap, quality last on the list.
The cheapest possible
Interesting: have you tried e-bay,? For example these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cab...hash=item21577de78f:m:mOIHGOmNtXt0pg08UQPfuBQe

Someone is also selling the whole set of cables which came with his X. I have the X, and the stock cables are not bad sounding at all, if you're willing to pay the asking price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audeze-lcd...747277?hash=item2f42b6ec8d:g:sp8AAOSwtVpesMBy

Now, if you do not care about going the 4-pin XLR route, then this one is even cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDMDLH...us000-pcomp-feature-rscomp-wm-5&ref=aa_rscomp

Just trying to help :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,586 of 2,477
nope

May 11, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #1,587 of 2,477
Interesting. The stock Audeze cable (black and white version) is indeed a bit brittle in the mid treble to my ears. I guess they went for that to give the CD4z and LCD4 a bit of extra bite up top? I use the Norne Audio all Silver. It is more open yet has no harshness to it at all.

Don't forget to look at the front end, the DAC in this as well. Some DACs can be a bit sterile and edgy in the treble, others just plain flat and uninteresting. A top HP really needs a top front end as well, to make it perform it's best.

May 12, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #1,588 of 2,477
a little confused on cables. idk what to look for. i got about 600 to spend on a cable but i want something good. idk what a good cable is. i would enjoy buying something used to get a 1k cable if possible.can anyone steer me? looking for more resolution but a tamed treble

May 12, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #1,589 of 2,477
a little confused on cables. idk what to look for. i got about 600 to spend on a cable but i want something good. idk what a good cable is. i would enjoy buying something used to get a 1k cable if possible.can anyone steer me? looking for more resolution but a tamed treble
I recommend getting a cable made from UPOCC copper or UPOCC silver or a combination of the two (hybrid). One of the most popular manufacturers is Norne Audio. I have several Norne cables and I highly recommend them. I also like my Wywires Platinum cable and I have several adapters for different headphones to use it on. The Norne Silvergarde S3 and the Wywires Platinum are in the $600 price range. I also have several Double Helix Cables (DHC) and they are good too but I think their wait times can be lengthy. Avoid any silver plated copper (SPC) cables because they generally sound strident and harsh.

May 12, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,590 of 2,477
I recommend getting a cable made from UPOCC copper or UPOCC silver or a combination of the two (hybrid). One of the most popular manufacturers is Norne Audio. I have several Norne cables and I highly recommend them. I also like my Wywires Platinum cable and I have several adapters for different headphones to use it on. The Norne Silvergarde S3 and the Wywires Platinum are in the $600 price range. I also have several Double Helix Cables (DHC) and they are good too but I think their wait times can be lengthy. Avoid any silver plated copper (SPC) cables because they generally sound strident and harsh.
can I see I photo of the cables you got. Can you describe how they sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back