Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,546 of 2,479
I have the rme as well, love it.
EQ is personal but what is yours looking like for the 4z

Also what do you think about 4z performance with electronic music?

Take a picture of the rme eq for 4z if yiu don't mind, kind sir

I have to say, having the opportunity to have the RME ADI2 for a week to test vs the Chord Qutest, I like the Qutest better. The RME is smoother and cleaner even, but it lacks the detailed texture (especially bass/mid-bass) , visceralness, and wider soundstage of the Qutest. It's as if it's too smooth, too polished at the expense of the micro-details.

Also I wasn't a fond of the timbre of it on certain instruments like the saxophone when compared to the Qutest. I'm still glad I was able to test it out, but I'm sticking to the Qutest until I upgrade to probably the Hugo TT2 (or if I keep on saving, the DCS Bartok)

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,547 of 2,479
I would say 4z is slightly warmer at upper to center midrange. Slightly.

None of them cold, analytical, thin or boring sound. This is Audeze house sound that we talk about.

Few things that make me prefer (well driven) 4 than 4Z: (All in slightly) bigger imaging, more assertive tone combine with full body sound from top to bottom, edge in pin point instrument and sharper imaging. Again, slightly.

However, 4 also demand more of our attention (+ extra weight), make it a great headphone for ultimate listening time for 1-2 albums, but no so much for 4-5 hours of use. If you want something more relax, will listening music while reading head-fi, working, or doing any stuff, but still want hi-fi experience of planar, 4z is a better choice.

I know, not an easy choice. But will not go wrong either way.

Agreed on all points except the weight and portability factor, regarding the 4. A while back, and less than a year ago, I had daily back to back runs with it each averaging more 6 hours of continuous use, for more than two months non-stop, without feeling the slightest stress on the head or neck. In the end, the one that risked getting overworked and overstressed was the 4 itself, so I had to start rotating it with my other cans to avoid putting too much wear and tear too soon on it (the 4). Si I guess the weight-tolerance factor is a bit like the SQ-preference factor, i.e. also very subjective. Personally I have never really had any weight problem at all with any Audeze cans. :)

May 1, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #1,548 of 2,479
I have the rme as well, love it.
EQ is personal but what is yours looking like for the 4z

Also what do you think about 4z performance with electronic music?

Take a picture of the rme eq for 4z if yiu don't mind, kind sir

Band 1: +1 dB // 70 Hz // Q 1.5 // Shelf
Band 2: -1.5 dB // 1 KHz // Q 1.5
Band 3: +2.0 dB // 2 kHz // Q 1.4
Band 4: +2.0 dB // 3.6 kHz // Q 2.0
Band 5: -1.0 dB // 9.3 kHz // Q 1.5 // Shelf

I had another similar setting posted a few pages back, this is what I'm using now. Fixed any minor shortcomings I noticed in the stock tuning. If you want warm and laid back, I'd probably give 2 kHz and 3-4 kHz even less of a boost. Thankfully it's easy enough to experiment on the RME, I find it pretty intuitive.

For Electronic music, I've listened to Blanck Mass, the **** Buttons, Vektroid, Chrome Spark, and some Disasterpeace soundtracks (It Follows and Hyper Light Drifter). I love the 4z for electronic sounds. Soundstage is right in the sweet spot for me where it's not too distant, but you get great imaging and details, you can really hear all of the different textures on synthesizers so well. I think you'll enjoy hearing new layers and details in some of your favorite songs.

May 2, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,549 of 2,479
i love my 4z but all ive been powering it with has been a fiio q5. its ok. more for iems ect.
but im wondering either about the hugo from chord or about rme adi 2 dac or the mytek brooklyn.
im most interested in resolution and transperancy. i want a *wow* effect. forgive my simplicity.....please help

May 2, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,550 of 2,479
i love my 4z but all ive been powering it with has been a fiio q5. its ok. more for iems ect.
but im wondering either about the hugo from chord or about rme adi 2 dac or the mytek brooklyn.
im most interested in resolution and transperancy. i want a *wow* effect. forgive my simplicity.....please help
From what I've been learning about the 4z's is they do scale. All the amp/dacs you've name are much better than the Fiio Q5. I absolutely love the 4z's out of my Hugo 2.

May 2, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,552 of 2,479
is there any hiss? i cant stand hiss. im wondering if hugo2 has really good clarity and resolution with the 4z
No hiss whatsoever with the Hugo 2 and 4z pairing. It’s dead silent. Clarity, dynamics, and resolution are all there, in spades.

May 2, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #1,554 of 2,479
Do you think the rme adi-2 dac or the mytek Brooklyn would be equal or better in those clarity and resolution?
Not sure if those either of two amps/dacs can match the clarity, resolution, detail retrieval, or transparency level of the Hugo 2. The Hugo 2 gets the very best out of the 4z’s. Although I do like the feature set of the RME ADi-2. But this is just my opinion. You should listen to all three and let your ears decide if you’re considering pairing them with the 4z’s. Then choose the best one. I know which one I’d take.....

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #1,555 of 2,479
From what I've been learning about the 4z's is they do scale. All the amp/dacs you've name are much better than the Fiio Q5. I absolutely love the 4z's out of my Hugo 2.
4z sounds incredible with Hugo2. Although I am using the dac only, line out. The amp is GSX Mini, which quite easily drives 4z to ecstasy. Pitch black when supposed to be, attack and decay picture of technical perfection.

May 2, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,556 of 2,479
4z sounds incredible with Hugo2. Although I am using the dac only, line out. The amp is GSX Mini, which quite easily drives 4z to ecstasy. Pitch black when supposed to be, attack and decay picture of technical perfection.
Nice, I’ve read nothing but good things about the GS-X mini. The Hugo 2 is also incredible as a DAC when used in this manner. The 4z definitely rewards you when driven by quality components.

May 3, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,558 of 2,479
May 3, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,560 of 2,479
Would any of you say the 4z is shouty or peaky at any time?
I would try and listen to them before you make a purchase. I find them bright in the treble for certain genres of electronic music but I think I'm in a minority.

I've purchased the Violetric HPA V200 AE which is supposed to be smooth and powerful. If that doesn't work I give up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back