Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,516 of 2,479
I think it'll depend on how heavily you weigh certain factors. In my research before I bought the 4z, people seemed to give the 4 the edge as far as the sound goes and you already have an amp for it.

For me, the ADI-2 is all I want to use and I wanted something I could hook up to my ES100 and listen to around the house and on the patio. Hard to do with the 4 and plus the 4z is lighter. These are my first Audezes and I can't say they're the most comfortable thing out there but I can wear them 6-7 hours a day and multiple hours at a time, no issues. You might feel the weight a little bit after a long session but when I start listening, I stop noticing them on my head pretty quickly.

Now I haven't heard the 4 but from what I've gathered it comes down to the 4 being considered a little better in regards to sound quality and the 4z is more comfortable and portable for around-the-house type usage. Hopefully there's some people here who can elaborate more on the sonic differences, I'm sure there's folks out there that prefer the sound of the 4z too.
I would like to know how the bass compares between the LCD4 and 4z. People say the LCD4 has the best bass of any headphone with thunderous low bass that can rattle your skull but this not how I hear the 4z by any stretch of the imagination not that I find it bass light or lean but I hear it as fairly neutral with a mid bass bump. Reading peoples reviews of the LCD4 would lead you to believe it's some sort of bass monster. I wish the 4z had a bit more kick or punch but I'm unable to EQ it to this desired effect due to the mid bass elevation.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,517 of 2,479
I would like to know how the bass compares between the LCD4 and 4z. People say the LCD4 has the best bass of any headphone with thunderous low bass that can rattle your skull but this not how I hear the 4z by any stretch of the imagination not that I find it bass light or lean but I hear it as fairly neutral with a mid bass bump. Reading peoples reviews of the LCD4 would lead you to believe it's some sort of bass monster. I wish the 4z had a bit more kick or punch but I'm unable to EQ it to this desired effect due to the mid bass elevation.
In my listening sessions with the 4z's, I'm finding they have plenty of kick, punch and impact without any EQ. That's listening to them straight out of my Conductor 3XR or Hugo 2. I'm not sure if they need any more bass, in my opinion. I also find that the 4z's and any Audeze headphone EQ very well. What amp are you using?

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,518 of 2,479
I think it'll depend on how heavily you weigh certain factors. In my research before I bought the 4z, people seemed to give the 4 the edge as far as the sound goes and you already have an amp for it.

For me, the ADI-2 is all I want to use and I wanted something I could hook up to my ES100 and listen to around the house and on the patio. Hard to do with the 4 and plus the 4z is lighter. These are my first Audezes and I can't say they're the most comfortable thing out there but I can wear them 6-7 hours a day and multiple hours at a time, no issues. You might feel the weight a little bit after a long session but when I start listening, I stop noticing them on my head pretty quickly.

Now I haven't heard the 4 but from what I've gathered it comes down to the 4 being considered a little better in regards to sound quality and the 4z is more comfortable and portable for around-the-house type usage. Hopefully there's some people here who can elaborate more on the sonic differences, I'm sure there's folks out there that prefer the sound of the 4z too.

Sound quality is big for me. I'm pretty comfortable with my LCD-3, although I'd be off and on with it every 45 min-an hour anyways. Not that being more lightweight is not desired, but I can live with just bit heavier if it's a big enough difference in sound quality. I probably won't be listening on anything else but my 300b tube amp, either.

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,519 of 2,479

To my ears they are about the same. Seriously, I find these headphones more alike than each other than not. Some better tonal balance on the LCD-4z and a slightly wider sound stage on the LCD-4. Can't go wrong with either, but if you with the LCD-4, make sure your amp can output 2+ Watts (at least).

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,520 of 2,479
I would be using these for edm, techno, minimal tracks, almost exclusively, my favorite genre and I got the eq in the rme to tame the highs with a shelf if the treble rally is that bad.

I am able to get these with 200 hrs on them, for 1300 from a friend. But it come with the metal band and a generic cable....

I wonder if for 600 the real cable is best or is there another cable that is even better around that price?

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,521 of 2,479
Between the 4z and 4, which do you think are warmer? I definitely do like detail and dynamic musicality, but I also wouldn't want something too cold or overly analytical

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #1,522 of 2,479
I would be using these for edm, techno, minimal tracks, almost exclusively, my favorite genre and I got the eq in the rme to tame the highs with a shelf if the treble rally is that bad.

I am able to get these with 200 hrs on them, for 1300 from a friend. But it come with the metal band and a generic cable....

I wonder if for 600 the real cable is best or is there another cable that is even better around that price?
You can do a lot better than the stock cable for about $600. I recommend the Wywires Platinum and that is what I use. I also have the Norne Silvergarde S3 and it's good too. I think the Platinum is better for the 4z than the Silvergarde S3. The Platinum seems to be a bit more forward and it gives the 4z more dynamic punch. I also like the Platinum better on my ZMF Verite Open. I like the Silvergarde S3 better than the Platinum on my Utopias. In my opinion one size doesn't fit all in regards to cables.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,523 of 2,479
To my ears they are about the same. Seriously, I find these headphones more alike than each other than not. Some better tonal balance on the LCD-4z and a slightly wider sound stage on the LCD-4. Can't go wrong with either, but if you with the LCD-4, make sure your amp can output 2+ Watts (at least).
I totally agree with you Peter. IME, changing the stock cable to something better will make a bigger difference than the difference between these 2 headphones.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,524 of 2,479
"Performance" is a pretty broad term. Could you describe in more detail, what you mean when you say that the Abyss TC will beat the LCD4s performance wise?
The best way to try and get to hear the TC.

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,525 of 2,479
You can do a lot better than the stock cable for about $600. I recommend the Wywires Platinum and that is what I use. I also have the Norne Silvergarde S3 and it's good too. I think the Platinum is better for the 4z than the Silvergarde S3. The Platinum seems to be a bit more forward and it gives the 4z more dynamic punch. I also like the Platinum better on my ZMF Verite Open. I like the Silvergarde S3 better than the Platinum on my Utopias. In my opinion one size doesn't fit all in regards to cables.
How would you compare the sound between verite open to 4z
I was also curious about the Verite

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,526 of 2,479
Between the 4z and 4, which do you think are warmer? I definitely do like detail and dynamic musicality, but I also wouldn't want something too cold or overly analytical

I would say 4z is slightly warmer at upper to center midrange. Slightly.

None of them cold, analytical, thin or boring sound. This is Audeze house sound that we talk about.

Few things that make me prefer (well driven) 4 than 4Z: (All in slightly) bigger imaging, more assertive tone combine with full body sound from top to bottom, edge in pin point instrument and sharper imaging. Again, slightly.

However, 4 also demand more of our attention (+ extra weight), make it a great headphone for ultimate listening time for 1-2 albums, but no so much for 4-5 hours of use. If you want something more relax, will listening music while reading head-fi, working, or doing any stuff, but still want hi-fi experience of planar, 4z is a better choice.

I know, not an easy choice. But will not go wrong either way.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,527 of 2,479
I would say 4z is slightly warmer at upper to center midrange. Slightly.

None of them cold, analytical, thin or boring sound. This is Audeze house sound that we talk about.

Few things that make me prefer (well driven) 4 than 4Z: (All in slightly) bigger imaging, more assertive tone combine with full body sound from top to bottom, edge in pin point instrument and sharper imaging. Again, slightly.

However, 4 also demand more of our attention (+ extra weight), make it a great headphone for ultimate listening time for 1-2 albums, but no so much for 4-5 hours of use. If you want something more relax, will listening music while reading head-fi, working, or doing any stuff, but still want hi-fi experience of planar, 4z is a better choice.

I know, not an easy choice. But will not go wrong either way.
I disagree that the 4 has sharper imaging than the 4z. I heard it the other way around. I'm very critical on imaging and I compared the two back to back in my system. Tonally, I agree with MacedonianHero, I like the 4z a little better but that comes down to preferences. For me the weight difference is very significant. I consider the 4z to be the heaviest headphone that I can tolerate for more than 1 hour.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #1,528 of 2,479
How would you compare the sound between verite open to 4z
I was also curious about the Verite
I'll have to get back to you with that comparison. I'll try to compare in the next few days.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,530 of 2,479
Does the 4z suffer from some driver failures that other audeze models have?

Is that still a thing in the last 1-2 years with Audeze? I've had a used LCD-2C, and now an LCD-3F from early 2018. Haven't had a problem myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back