Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,531 of 2,479
Does the 4z suffer from some driver failures that other audeze models have?
Is that still a thing in the last 1-2 years with Audeze? I've had a used LCD-2C, and now an LCD-3F from early 2018. Haven't had a problem myself.

In just a quick search in this thread, I can find 2 others who experienced issues with the headphones (I did as well myself):

I had to send back my lcd 4z after 2 weeks of ownership to have a the drivers replaced. I then had to send it back again as there was damage to the finish when I got them back. I did find them to be an enjoyable listen to it ended up selling them to finance speakers.

I now have the Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC. Which I find to be a superior headphone in pretty much every regard. I do prefer a more reference sound signature though. The lcd 4 series sounds veiled in comparison.

Just recognized a imbalance between the left and right channel of my 4Z. Left is definitely louder than the right, I tried different cables with the same result.

I’ve contacted Audeze and I’m sure they are going to have me send them in for service. Anyone ever have the same experience and have an idea of the cause?

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,532 of 2,479
Not currently buying another Audeze product currently. The 4z and i4 have been working flawlessly for a long time. Just wanting to try a custom IEM, most likely a JH Audio Lola, and will NOT buy that thru Amazon. Need to find a good audiologist to make ear impressions first.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,533 of 2,479
ok lastly, what cable do you guys recommend other than the stock? something to look forward to
I have Norne Solvine hybrid copper-silver, and Norne Silvergarde balanced and un-balanced for LCDi4. I have always had good results dealing with Trevor. Comfortable recommending his cables for sure.
Regards
KC

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #1,535 of 2,479
No issue with the LCD X that I had for about 4 years, and no issue with the 4z that I've had for about 1-1/2 years.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,536 of 2,479
Well I'm going to buy the 4z, used from my friend, it's gonna have the steel top and no cable!
Gonna be poor for just a little so I can't really buy a nice cable just yet.

I do have a decent Mr speakers cable for my ether flow C.

Are there any adapters from MrSpeakers to audeze just for the time being so I can use them?poor boy

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #1,538 of 2,479
Well I'm going to buy the 4z, used from my friend, it's gonna have the steel top and no cable!
Gonna be poor for just a little so I can't really buy a nice cable just yet.

I do have a decent Mr speakers cable for my ether flow C.

Are there any adapters from MrSpeakers to audeze just for the time being so I can use them?poor boy

20200407_074140_HDR.jpg

I highly recommend he handmade Mavismodz custom cable. It is very affordable and highly customizable.

I got the 4-core OCC copper and I even bought and sent him Furutech XLR and MINI-XLR ends for him to install on my cable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233020702030

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,540 of 2,479
Thanks, anything usa based?

There is Periapt in KY, but to be honest, he takes just as long to make the cable AND I don't think his cable is as good sonically or visually as Mavismodz. Plus, the Y-Splitter plug on the Periapt gets caught under the desk easily. I much prefer Mavismodz for the same price.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,541 of 2,479
Or the cheapest poop cable there is. Just so I can enjoy for a few months till I can buy a nice cable

how about zmf original cable? at 50 bucks, and usa based

Generally, best way is to get local DIYer and bought their cheapest cable with cheapest pin/plug available, but I can't help on this one.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,542 of 2,479
Thanks, anything usa based?

I just ordered a new cable from Impact Audio so I could have a shorter cable when I hook the 4z up to my ES100. Was about $150 but I went for the Eidolic connectors and splitter so you could probably get a bit cheaper. I have a balanced Surf Cable for my OPPO PM-3s that has held up well. I think an Audeze cable from Surf would be around $100.

I know it's immensely frowned upon here but I have never in my life noticed a difference between cables, nor been presented with any objective measurements that prove they change a headphones frequency response, impulse response, distortion, etc. so who knows, this could be all the cable you need. That's all I'll say on the subject.

That said, I still bought a Norne cable for my HE560s when I got them. While I can't hear sonic differences, the quality of construction was much better, the jacket is more substantial, it has better connectors and better strain relief. For me there's still a lot of value in that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back