Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #1,366 of 2,477
Never mind, I have taken a picture of the way the headphone sits on my head and the issue is still there.

The problem is that the point where the leather strap attaches to the carbon frame is not wide enough so the leather bends at that point creating a large spacing between the leather strap and the carbon fiber frame on the front side but tilts back so much on the other half causing the leather strap to touch the frame and cause the hotspots.

This is a poorly engineered design and now I'm looking at aftermarket solutions. Best option is probably to omit the leather strap and stick some memory foam wrapped in leather to the underside of the frame like most traditional headphones.

Does anyone know of such solutions?

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,367 of 2,477
Never mind, I have taken a picture of the way the headphone sits on my head and the issue is still there.

The problem is that the point where the leather strap attaches to the carbon frame is not wide enough so the leather bends at that point creating a large spacing between the leather strap and the carbon fiber frame on the front side but tilts back so much on the other half causing the leather strap to touch the frame and cause the hotspots.

This is a poorly engineered design and now I'm looking at aftermarket solutions. Best option is probably to omit the leather strap and stick some memory foam wrapped in leather to the underside of the frame like most traditional headphones.

Does anyone know of such solutions?
I know what you’re saying, but you probably just need to trim some more of the leather. Mine tilts as well, but I’ve taken enough of the leather off that it still clears the carbon frame.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,368 of 2,477
Can someone please post a picture of what these headphones look properly seated on the head?

The backward tilt seems to be an inherent flaw in the design of the headphones as the A for Audeze on the earcups is not aligned with the yolks hence the inevitable backward tilt and the hotspot it causes.

I have 3D printed my own version of the Lohb strap in a flexible rubber like material and so far so good. My the issue seems to have disappeared but I will have to use to for longer periods of time before confirming this to be definitely true.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #1,370 of 2,477
My 4z will be coming this week. Is the SP1000 powerful enough to drive it loud at it’s full potential or would Kann Cube be better suited?

The LCD-4z is pretty efficient to drive, you should be just fine.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,372 of 2,477
Well there is more than "loud". Faithfulness of reproduction, all the attributes of a good quality well-rounded system should be considered. In fact, a good critical listen at lower volume on very technical pieces should actually take precedence over brute horsepower i.e. the ability to get loud. It is quality over quantity. Especially since consistent listening at very high decibel levels aka "loud" is prone to damaging hearing.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,374 of 2,477
I think the key ingredient in any amp is dynamic range. To play realistically to real world sound / live music you need headroom. I think that is what most mean, as opposed to just loud.

The LCD4z can play loud enough out of an iPhone with under 2v. But to get top sonics you still need a decent amp.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,375 of 2,477
My 4z will be coming this week. Is the SP1000 powerful enough to drive it loud at it’s full potential or would Kann Cube be better suited?
Yes you can drive them with a phone so you’ll be fine

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,377 of 2,477
Update for you all- I really liked my 4z's (at least the sound, but not how heavy they still are) while I had them but I decided to sell them after one year while they still have some warranty left

Long story short, I had to send them in for warranty service twice in the first year and on the second time, I was not really happy with Audeze customer service. There was obvious channel imbalance that anyone trying them could hear, yet Audeze, probably in an effort to try to shirk responsibility for shoddy QA told me that they couldn't find any issues with the headphones, but would replace the drivers for me anyway...

I also found this on their website, which basically states you have to be very delicate with Audeze headphones and put them on and take them off in slow motion:

we strongly recommend exercising certain cautions when handling planar magnetic headphones: trapped air can create high pressure and sudden pressure changes could damage the diaphragms, and this is not covered by warranty. The same is true when you put the headphones on or take them off-- it's not a good idea to press them hard and fast against the head, so we recommend slow and steady movement to allow the air pressure to stabilize.

https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-support

Is this the case for all planar headphones or just Audeze??

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #1,378 of 2,477
Thanks all for the feedback, I got them today and I’m amazed at how easy they are to drive.

On to the next question, any experience using AK SP1000 or 2000, I don't have either but considering one to finish off my setup.
I had the sp1000 and it sounded OK with iems. I demoed the sp2000 and it didnt push my 25 ohm th900 well. Both daps do looks good.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,379 of 2,477
Is this the case for all planar headphones or just Audeze??

Only for Audeze. They suck at making reliable "driver" headphones! They are the absolute worst!

Hifiman has terrible build construction of their products that breaks apart but good drivers.
Audeze has disgusting drivers thats dies in 1 day or month or year. They for the love of Zeus can not make a bullet proof driver like the mighty Sennhesier.

I accept Audeze PR team to defend soon...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #1,380 of 2,477
Only for Audeze. They suck at making reliable "driver" headphones! They are the absolute worst!

Hifiman has terrible build construction of their products that breaks apart but good drivers.
Audeze has disgusting drivers thats dies in 1 day or month or year. They for the love of Zeus can not make a bullet proof driver like the mighty Sennhesier.

I accept Audeze PR team to defend soon...
Post it ONE time. Anymore you become a troll and you are OUT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back