Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #994 of 2,477
LCD 4z currently out of stock on audeze website?? Update coming or is there that high of a demand for them???

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #995 of 2,477
LCD 4z currently out of stock on audeze website?? Update coming or is there that high of a demand for them???
Ha, The 4z is probably the only 4 version that's actually selling!

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #996 of 2,477
One of the most observable differences I thought at CanJam this year was how many LCD-4z's there were at vendor tables. Easy to drive yes, but I think it's also that it sounds great. I'd say about now it's 4z, Ether 2, Meze Empyrean and Focal Utopia that rule the roost. Haven't heard Verite but I know people are raving about it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #997 of 2,477
So would it be better to buy the best possible headphones that are easier to drive (4z/mx4) and build up some sort of high-end dac/amp set up later or get cheaper headphones and a better set up to run them from? I want the best possible headphones to take everywhere with me

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #998 of 2,477
The 4z has low impedance, but is not actually super efficient (MX4 is more efficient). The MX4 is almost twice the loudness of the LCD-4z (103 dB/mW vs 98 dB/mW) for example.

So the 4Z still benefits from some power for sure.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #999 of 2,477
The LDC-4Z has low impedance, but is not actually super efficient (MX4 is more efficient). The MX4 is almost twice the loudness of the LCD-4z (103 dB/mW vs 98 dB/mW) for example.

So the 4Z still benefits from some power for sure.
So straight out of, let's just say, a laptop with maybe a dragonfly red or something simple like that the mx4 would sound better purely because it's easier to drive? Or you could just get more volume out of it

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #1,000 of 2,477
So straight out of, let's just say, a laptop with maybe a dragonfly red or something simple like that the mx4 would sound better purely because it's easier to drive? Or you could just get more volume out of it

That's going to be a question of volume, yes, but also sound signatures of the different headphones. The MX4 sound signature is more neutral/bright than the 4z.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,002 of 2,477
Does the more natural sound signature of the 4z still come through well with bad sources?

Yes, but not as well of course.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,004 of 2,477
So would it be better to buy the best possible headphones that are easier to drive (4z/mx4) and build up some sort of high-end dac/amp set up later or get cheaper headphones and a better set up to run them from? I want the best possible headphones to take everywhere with me

I had a chance to audition an LCD-4z and was amazed by how similar it sounded out of my Samsung S10, when compared to my standard LCD-4 out of a dedicated DAC/amp (relatively high-end). I was never really in a situation where I had a higher-end DAC/amp with lower-end headphones, but I suspect that a headphone like the LCD-4z would make a huge improvement over "cheaper headphones", even from an entry level source.

My reasoning is that headphones have vastly different levels of technology and innovation (drivers, chamber acoustics, material design, etc.), while DACs and amps are primarily still just transmitting bits of information. Simplified argument, but there's a reason why people still seek out vintage amps, receivers, maybe DACs, while vintage headphones are mostly in landfills. Headphone technology has developed exponentially in the last several years.

FWIW, I had an LCD-MX4 a while back and thought it was pretty meh for the price and it's claimed relationship to the LCD-4 driver. They sound nothing alike IMO and I even preferred the LCD-X over the MX4. Might be a hot take, but I do think most people would rank the LCD-4z a tier above the MX4.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,005 of 2,477
I had a chance to audition to LCD-4z and was amazed by how similar it sounded out of my Samsung S10, when compared to my standard LCD-4 out of a dedicated DAC/amp (relatively high-end). I was never really in a situation where I had a higher-end DAC/amp with lower-end headphones, but I suspect that a headphone like the LCD-4z would make a huge improvement over "cheaper headphones", even from an entry level source.

FWIW, I had an LCD-MX4 a while back and thought it was pretty meh for the price and it's claimed relationship to the LCD-4 driver. They sound nothing alike IMO and I even preferred the LCD-X over the MX4. Might be a hot take, but I do think most people would rank the LCD-4z a tier above the MX4.
True, spoke with a Tech guy at Audeze not long ago. He mentioned the 4z and the 4 are not really tuned differently at all. What you are generally hearing are the differences in the interaction to the low ohm 4z on an amp vs the high ohm, power demanding 4 on any given amp. And for me I would throw in the usual Audeze headphone variation too.

I agree on the MX4’s too. They to me are “meh” and are my least favorite LCD’s. I definitely saw no reason to upgrade from my X’s to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back