Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #436 of 2,477
Once again guys..any impressions of 4z vs. Utopia out of Hugo 2? I'm considering buying one or the other...thanks.

While I really enjoy my Utopia out of my Hugo2, the LCD-4z has got quite a bit more head-time since they arrived. :wink:

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #437 of 2,477
@MacedonianHero Thank you for the review has given me thought for a future purchase.

@Rhamnetin thank you for the clear differences of amplifiers.

I was in the position and investigating better amplification for my LCD4 as I am using a Chord Dave. ( Mscaler on order)

I have the dilemma of setting up a second system and was going for the TT2 (for the extra power) or Dave (better transparency, analogue) and MScaler with an Amp for my existing LCD4 headphones.

Looking at your review it appears I would be better off with the LCD4z than purchasing a new amp like the GS-X MK2.

Anyone have any other ideas....?

Thanks.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #438 of 2,477
@MacedonianHero Thank you for the review has given me thought for a future purchase.

@Rhamnetin thank you for the clear differences of amplifiers.

I was in the position and investigating better amplification for my LCD4 as I am using a Chord Dave. ( Mscaler on order)

I have the dilemma of setting up a second system and was going for the TT2 (for the extra power) or Dave (better transparency, analogue) and MScaler with an Amp for my existing LCD4 headphones.

Looking at your review it appears I would be better off with the LCD4z than purchasing a new amp like the GS-X MK2.

Anyone have any other ideas....?

Thanks.

Thanks!

The LCD-4z straight out of the DAVE is endgame territory and added power (say the GS-X Mk2) isn't really needed here as it is with the LCD-4 due to the considerably improved efficiency of the 4z's for me.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #440 of 2,477
Thank you, I wanted some lighter headphones and your review was the icing on the cake.....
Looks like the wallet takes another hit.
Is it worth keeping the LCD4s ?

I love both. The LCD-4 has a slightly more expansive sound stage; while the LCD-4z has an improved treble response and transparency. Both are amazing headphones and among the very best I've heard!

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #445 of 2,477
I wonder how they compare with Hifiman HE1000v2 (halfway between easy and difficult to drive headphones...)...

Totally different character so it'll be a real apples to oranges comparison is all I can say (no LCD-4z experience here mind you, only LCD-4). HE1000v2 (or the new HE1000se lol) would be the no brainer between the two for classical music I think due to its very expansive sound, but for other genres it will depend on the person.

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #446 of 2,477
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audeze/lcd-4z/

fr-lcd4z.png

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #447 of 2,477
Went ahead and ordered 4z so will find out how they work with Hugo 2 and Gilmore Lite Mk2. That will leave me with LCDi4 for more portable sound, and 4z for home desktop with LCD-X backup.

A pretty good little robust and space-saving setup with great SQ. BTW ordered LCD4z from Justin at Headamp. I have bot LCD2c, LCD3 (pre-fazor, should have kept those), LCD-X, and now LCD4z from Justin and the GLMk2.
Great guy to do business with, highly recommended.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #448 of 2,477
Went ahead and ordered 4z so will find out how they work with Hugo 2 and Gilmore Lite Mk2. That will leave me with LCDi4 for more portable sound, and 4z for home desktop with LCD-X backup.

A pretty good little robust and space-saving setup with great SQ. BTW ordered LCD4z from Justin at Headamp. I have bot LCD2c, LCD3 (pre-fazor, should have kept those), LCD-X, and now LCD4z from Justin and the GLMk2.
Great guy to do business with, highly recommended.

I can confirm that the LCD-4Z and Hugo 2 and GLite V2 sound great!!!! Congrats!

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #449 of 2,477
Received my LCD4z and they are obviously very high end instruments. I was a little surprised though that they sound more like what I would imagine the Stax 007 or 009 would be. Extremely clear and transparent, hyper detailed. With great staging for Audeze products I have owned in the past. They have insanely tightly controlled bass but seemingly quite a bit less quantity as compared to my LCD-X or the LCD2c or LCD3 I once owned. I only have about 5 hours on them so far so maybe the bass comes on better with hours? I certainly do not hear any upper mid dip with these phones AT ALL. Hyper detail, clean, airy, staged instrumental location, sweet headphones. But more towards the neutrality tilt than even the X IMHO.

Give this one a listen on the 4z if possible. The guitar sounds crazy good on the 4z.

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #450 of 2,477
Received my LCD4z and they are obviously very high end instruments. I was a little surprised though that they sound more like what I would imagine the Stax 007 or 009 would be. Extremely clear and transparent, hyper detailed. With great staging for Audeze products I have owned in the past. They have insanely tightly controlled bass but seemingly quite a bit less quantity as compared to my LCD-X or the LCD2c or LCD3 I once owned. I only have about 5 hours on them so far so maybe the bass comes on better with hours? I certainly do not hear any upper mid dip with these phones AT ALL. Hyper detail, clean, airy, staged instrumental location, sweet headphones. But more towards the neutrality tilt than even the X IMHO.

Give this one a listen on the 4z if possible. The guitar sounds crazy good on the 4z.

Ooooh! You're killin me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back