Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #421 of 2,476
I don't have an LCD-4z, but for me the Hugo 2 produces the same sound via USB or optical. This is what I'd expect from a DAC of this class anyway; a decent USB input that sounds as good as its optical, because optical is the easiest to implement/hardest to screw up.

I totally agree which is why I’m quite puzzled..

The only other variables are via optical, i was using a moon audio toslink direct from my DAP. USB was via CCK from an iphone. Have to find time, upgrade my DAP firmware so I get usb out. Will be a fairer comparism I guess.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #422 of 2,476
I find the H2/LCD-X is my favourite combo. But, like you, I'd like to try the 4Z to see if a good thing could get better.

I just got the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2 installed in the chain; it is unbelievable how much better the X sound with the external amp in the chain. And it sounded really nice straight out of the Hugo 2.
The X is displaying an improved stage, better timbre, airiness, instrumental placement in the stage, attack and decay to die for. Oh and the bass. From the mids to sub bass to the depths of bass down low, so tight so clean and will kick like a mule. But with ultimate finesse... Guitar and vocals will bring a tear to the eye, so clearly beautiful. I know there are many other systems out there that will beat this one, but i hafta say I am totally gobsmacked listening to this setup.

I just wish I could have my old lCD3 (pre-fazor) back to try on this chain. I should have never traded it -but- I got the X (traded in to Justin at Headamp) so can't really bellyache too much about it. =^)

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #423 of 2,476
I just got the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2 installed in the chain; it is unbelievable how much better the X sound with the external amp in the chain. And it sounded really nice straight out of the Hugo 2.
The X is displaying an improved stage, better timbre, airiness, instrumental placement in the stage, attack and decay to die for. Oh and the bass. From the mids to sub bass to the depths of bass down low, so tight so clean and will kick like a mule. But with ultimate finesse... Guitar and vocals will bring a tear to the eye, so clearly beautiful. I know there are many other systems out there that will beat this one, but i hafta say I am totally gobsmacked listening to this setup.

I just wish I could have my old lCD3 (pre-fazor) back to try on this chain. I should have never traded it -but- I got the X (traded in to Justin at Headamp) so can't really bellyache too much about it. =^)
That Headamp Gilmour Lite was just reviewed in H-Guru. Should've read it. I always thought to myself: "Self, if you cain't afford the GSX MK II, or whatever it's called, you ain't interested in any amp." All kidding asside, I'll take a look. If it's as good as you say, I've got to try it.

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #424 of 2,476
^^^ I suspect you would really like that amp added onto the H2 as dac. It has far surpassed what I thought it would do in my little system. If it is this good single ended, I shudder to think how good a balanced setup could be.

Shoot for 500 clams, I would be hard pressed to say another improvement in the chain that would be this effective. Peeps go on and on about a cable that costs 400 to 700, but I can guar-an-tee this amp will yield FAR more impressive results than just a cable ever will. And I have spent some money on cables too...

I do know one thing for darn sure. When the time comes to go fully balanced with a full size amp, it's likely going to be a Headamp GSX Mark II. Prolly with Yggdrasil dac.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #426 of 2,476
Interestingly my first experience with Beyerdynamics was the DT990pro 32ohm version. Hated it because it was so recessed. Got the DT880 600ohm and it's so dang neutral. Amazing they can be so different but point is too neutral can be a bad thing. I think ideal cans have some dip in the mid highs so you can listen for hours without wanting to rip them off your head. I want to be a part of the music and experience it, not analyze the heck out of it. That's the main reason I sold my Chord Hugo 2 and Mojo. Too cold and sterile for my tastes. I suppose the perfect combo for you would be the LCD-4 with the Chord Hugo 2 because it could easily compensate for the mid-high dip. That's the exact setup Audeze uses to demo the LCD-4 and I didn't care for that sound. So I'm on the fence about the dip because the 4 is so musical right now. Presentation is just about perfect but I'd imagine once they break in they will open up even more.

Hmmm this certainly does display subjectivity... It would be very difficult for my ears to hear the Hugo 2 and especially the Mojo (I own both) as cold or sterile. H2 is certainly detailed, yes. I love that. But listening to practically all genres from classical, dubstep, blues, classic rock, metal, bluegrass, country, ambient, and anything else I can discover has never resulted in anything like a cold or sterile sound. I have the Schitt Gungnir dac and Mjolnir amp (both very old, original models) that I put thousands of hours on mostly with the same LCD-X on my cabeza right this minute. And this Hugo 2 with or without the new Gilmore Lite Mk2 are definitely not near as clinically sterile sounding as that pairing is. And the Mojo even less so than the H2. IMHO. As always, very interesting to read others opinions about audio perceptions on different gear. Just going on what I have read on many different threads, I suspect that the LCD4 or 4Z could be just perfect for me.

Question: Will the GLMk2 drive the LCD4 adequately for the majority of use? I do not just rock the house down so much anymore, as I do care about preserving my hearing as I get older. This external amp with the H2 as dac will certainly show the X who is boss, but then the X is a very low impedance can for sure. Trying to decide between the 4 or the 4Z to use with the current chain. I do not see a move to my desired reference level dac / amp in the immediate future. Unfortunately. However what I have is not exactly slummin' either. =^)

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #427 of 2,476
The LCD4 is power hungry. Even with my Ragnarok and balanced output I’m surprisingly east of midpoint on the volume knob. I’d say go for the LCD4Z it should be easier to drive than the LCD-X. You’re better off with plenty of extra headroom vs just having enough power to sound good.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #428 of 2,476
The LCD4 is power hungry. Even with my Ragnarok and balanced output I’m surprisingly east of midpoint on the volume knob. I’d say go for the LCD4Z it should be easier to drive than the LCD-X. You’re better off with plenty of extra headroom vs just having enough power to sound good.

Wow! I would have thought Ragnarok balanced out would be just off idle (metaphorically speaking) driving LCD4.
With that bit of info it is very obvious a step up to the 4 would command a move to the 4Z. The little GLMk2 would really be struggling to push those LCD4 being that darn power hungry.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #429 of 2,476
Wow! I would have thought Ragnarok balanced out would be just off idle (metaphorically speaking) driving LCD4.
With that bit of info it is very obvious a step up to the 4 would command a move to the 4Z. The little GLMk2 would really be struggling to push those LCD4 being that darn power hungry.
What are the GL's specs?

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #430 of 2,476
Frequency response: 10 Hz-90 Khz

THD: <0.006%

Max Power Output: 1.5W

Gain: 7.5X (16.5 dB)

Input Impedance: 50k ohm

Output Impedance: <1 ohm

Power Consumption: 10W

So this amp does have its limitations as far as power output goes. But I was discussing this with Birgir at Mjolnir Audio in Iceland, and he pointed out that 1.5W is actually a very capable amplifier with the stated (proven) performance.

However the power requirements of the most demanding loads (LCD4, Abyss, Susvara, etc) will be in excess of what this amp will be able to provide. So that would be a consideration when planning a system.

Primary consideration also would be the step up to balanced mode throughout the chain. Hugo 2 does not do balanced output. SO the choice was pretty much made at this time to boost output power reasonably but with exceptional cleanliness, and plan on going with LCD4Z. Plus I already have the Norne Solvine SE cable, so for the budget at this time this amp just made sense. Plus I could well drive a 200 ohm dynamic phone with this amp according to Zach at ZMF.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #431 of 2,476
Frequency response: 10 Hz-90 Khz

THD: <0.006%

Max Power Output: 1.5W

Gain: 7.5X (16.5 dB)

Input Impedance: 50k ohm

Output Impedance: <1 ohm

Power Consumption: 10W

So this amp does have its limitations as far as power output goes. But I was discussing this with Birgir at Mjolnir Audio in Iceland, and he pointed out that 1.5W is actually a very capable amplifier with the stated (proven) performance.

However the power requirements of the most demanding loads (LCD4, Abyss, Susvara, etc) will be in excess of what this amp will be able to provide. So that would be a consideration when planning a system.

Primary consideration also would be the step up to balanced mode throughout the chain. Hugo 2 does not do balanced output. SO the choice was pretty much made at this time to boost output power reasonably but with exceptional cleanliness, and plan on going with LCD4Z. Plus I already have the Norne Solvine SE cable, so for the budget at this time this amp just made sense. Plus I could well drive a 200 ohm dynamic phone with this amp according to Zach at ZMF.
One day, I'd love to try one of those Mjolnir Audio amps. (Reviewed by Bob Katz on IF).
But, it sounds good.

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #432 of 2,476
One day, I'd love to try one of those Mjolnir Audio amps. (Reviewed by Bob Katz on IF).
But, it sounds good.

Yeah, if anyone here doesn't know, the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, and HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 are all variations of the Dynalo amp.

The Gilmore Lite Mk2 is a super simple single board, single ended one powered by a wall wart. Despite this it easily outperforms most single ended solid state amps.

The Pure BiPolar is fully balanced as it consists of two stereo Dynalo Mk2 boards powered by a Golden Reference Low Voltage power supply which has significantly less noise than most other PSUs in other amps. Also the Pure BiPolar has super symmetry inputs to convert SE input into balanced without extra circuitry.

The GS-X Mk2 is fully balanced but does not convert SE input into balanced. It has four mono Dynalo boards and is powered by a dual mono PSU design, has a gain switch and preamp as well. This amp can do it all (besides convert SE signal into balanced), it can provide several times more power into an LCD-4, HE-6, and Susvara than they require. The Pure BiPolar can do the same with the LCD-4 though is almost pushed to its limits with the HE-6 and Susvara (I would typically have the volume at 3:00 with the HE-6).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back