Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #391 of 2,477
I’m a bit surprised at this. I feel my LCD-4s are performing up to snuff with the Aurium. When I go back and forth between the Aurium and my very powerful Headtrip amp, the only differences I hear are the individual amplifiers sound signature and inherent capabilities without any additional shortcomings. For example, the Headtrip goes deeper than the Aurium and that remains the case, regardless of headphones used. Efficient or inefficient. My Aurium is capable of volume levels that are too loud to tolerate for any length of time. The one o’clock position is the best listening level for me, which I consider a moderate volume level. It’s clean and clear. 2-3 o’clock and it gets too loud for listening for more than a few minutes, but it’s still clean and clear.

I see the recommended power for the 200 Ohm is 1-4w, but the specs do say the minimum is >100 Mw. I guess maybe the difference between 300 Mw and 1w is minimal?

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #393 of 2,477
Well the difference there being 700 mW which is actually fairly major, is going to subtract from the available headroom to drive the loads most efficiently. It's not always about being able to drive a load at ear-bleeding levels, but rather being able to take command of that load effortlessly by operating a source (amp) at a part of the response curve that the components are most happy at. Now if the 4Z is at 15 ohms input impedance, and is also very efficient, then that load is going to play nicely with a much more low-power source than say the HE-6, Abyss, or LCD4 etc. I like to see an amp that is capable of at least double the minimum stated wattage of a given load to think it will be capable of driving that load comfortably with getting nowhere near the clipping region. Keeping in mind the fact that orthodynamics (planars), and dynamic headphones will all have differing requirements for current and voltage drive along with impedance matching between amp output stage and load input impedance. So a lot of research does not hurt when thinking about building a system and load matching etc.

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #394 of 2,477
Got my 4z yesterday and it really sings coming out from the AK SP1000 balanced output. The presentation was effortless and balanced. It does not pound you with impact like the Abyss, just neat and sounds right for the toe tapping factor. Layering / Soundstage was superb.

However, I really hate it coming out from the hugo2. It shoulds way too dark and the music sounds “far” away. Just did not sound like the music have enough room to breathe. Soundstage was narrow as well..did not expect this as some of us here reported stellar results with the hugo2.

Anyways, glad I got the 4z instead of the 4 considering it was beautiful coming out of a DAP.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #395 of 2,477
Got my 4z yesterday and it really sings coming out from the AK SP1000 balanced output. The presentation was effortless and balanced. It does not pound you with impact like the Abyss, just neat and sounds right for the toe tapping factor. Layering / Soundstage was superb.

However, I really hate it coming out from the hugo2. It shoulds way too dark and the music sounds “far” away. Just did not sound like the music have enough room to breathe. Soundstage was narrow as well..did not expect this as some of us here reported stellar results with the hugo2.

Anyways, glad I got the 4z instead of the 4 considering it was beautiful coming out of a DAP.

So this would be why it is good to wait a while until several reviews come out before spending big money on the headphones. I will have to say that based on preliminary reports from trusted reviewer(s), that [to me] it really seems a stretch to believe the 4Z sounds terrible driven by a Hugo 2. Based on how incredible my LCD-X sounds driven by my Hugo 2, I see no possible explanation for why a 4Z should sound as described above. Future forthcoming reviews should expound upon this and likely debunk. Not buying that for one second.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #396 of 2,477
the 4z is about as efficient as is the utopia and both sound excellent out of the H2..

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #397 of 2,477
dont get me wrong, not saying hugo2 is bad. the sound out of it with my abyss is great. Its just the pairing between hugo2 and the lcd4z doesnt agree with me. oh well, its still my ears hearing it.. havent had a chance to hear the 4z with the wa5 and ragnarok..hopefully better luck for me. cheers!

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #398 of 2,477
dont get me wrong, not saying hugo2 is bad. the sound out of it with my abyss is great. Its just the pairing between hugo2 and the lcd4z doesnt agree with me. oh well, its still my ears hearing it.. havent had a chance to hear the 4z with the wa5 and ragnarok..hopefully better luck for me. cheers!

Quite interesting. No way I would have thought the Abyss could be driven adequately via Hugo 2. Hopefully someone can say how Ragnarok works with 4Z. Also would be nice to see how Audio GD amps and R2R7 dac works with 4Z. But then if using a high-horsepower amp, might as well just use the LCD4?

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #400 of 2,477
BTW...Pathos says their manual was printed in error and the website is correct, 3.6w at 16 ohms.

That’s interesting. I’m still quite surprised how well it drives the lcd-4s to their seemingly fullest. It actually has a harder time driving my HiFiMAN HE-560, but it still manages fine. I have to turn the volume up much higher though.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #401 of 2,477
Well, I appreciate your honest opinion. And I didn't know the Hugo2 could drive the Abyss efficiently. Thanks for that bit.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #402 of 2,477
Well I was able to do a brief AB last night between the premium braided Audeze LCD4 single ended cable and the standard Audeze balanced cable using my Rag. No contest. The balanced cable was noticeably better. It had better bass extension and instrument separation. Even though the 4z is easy to drive it does scale well with more power and sounds even better with a balanced connection. I was so impressed that I ordered the balanced version of the premium braided Audeze LCD4 this morning.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #403 of 2,477
So this would be why it is good to wait a while until several reviews come out before spending big money on the headphones. I will have to say that based on preliminary reports from trusted reviewer(s), that [to me] it really seems a stretch to believe the 4Z sounds terrible driven by a Hugo 2. Based on how incredible my LCD-X sounds driven by my Hugo 2, I see no possible explanation for why a 4Z should sound as described above. Future forthcoming reviews should expound upon this and likely debunk. Not buying that for one second.

I think the LCD-4z + Hugo2 is truly amazing...inspiring and VERY satisfying! That said, things do kick up a few notches with the DAVE as these headphones do scale quite high!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back