Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
May 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #241 of 2,477
Yeah it looks like your ears get closer to the driver with the 4z? I ended up choosing the regular LCD-4 which I'm getting this week, since I predict it'd be slightly (audibly is another question) better with the beefy amps I'll be using it with.
I'm in the interesting position of having the 4z driver in the classic 4 with wood cups. My listening impressions may be different from the stock 4z setup. In any case I have no regrets either as the listening experience has been spectacular

May 20, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #242 of 2,477
@KMann lets say someone were to pick these up. What would be the best & most Simple way to get the Audeze DSP flavor in a mobile source?

Is there a good product pairing that allows for Cipher like simplicity? I.e. would roon + anything roon compatible be the most simple approach?

May 20, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #243 of 2,477
@KMann lets say someone were to pick these up. What would be the best & most Simple way to get the Audeze DSP flavor in a mobile source?

Is there a good product pairing that allows for Cipher like simplicity? I.e. would roon + anything roon compatible be the most simple approach?

I am confident that most will be perfectly happy driving them without any form of DSP. But for those who need a bit of personalization, if you want Reveal like preset on a mobile (Android/iOS) platform Roon is the only option I can think of.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #244 of 2,477
I do find it entertaining how people are constantly flooding Audeze threads either demanding they build a headphone that sounds like another brand's headphone, or at the least, are disappointed that they don't.

I'm sure glad my LCD4s sound the way they do, if they didn't sound the way they did, I wouldn't have bought them, or at least, wouldn't have kept them.

I heard a pair of LCDXs, I thought they sounded quite a bit different from what I thought Audeze cans "should" sound like. Heard LCD3s next, thought those were much better. Then I heard my LCD4s, and they were almost exactly perfect.

Maybe I'm a bit more sensitive than most, but I cannot stand harshness, hardness, brightness, shriekiness, shrillness, metallic-ness, sibilance, or anything like any of these things in even the smallest degree in any way. I can still hear to 17 kHz, and generally have extremely sensitive hearing, I think. I can't imagine needing more upper-mid/lower treble than I get out of my LCD4s right now. Any weakness that may be in my current setup probably comes from my Mimby, but frankly, I'm pretty happy with these 2 components and my Pro iCan. Quite a good combination. I can't imagine needing any additional brightness or detail, frankly I almost never run my iCan in SS mode, almost always use the tubes.

May 22, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #245 of 2,477
I do find it entertaining how people are constantly flooding Audeze threads either demanding they build a headphone that sounds like another brand's headphone, or at the least, are disappointed that they don't.

I'm sure glad my LCD4s sound the way they do, if they didn't sound the way they did, I wouldn't have bought them, or at least, wouldn't have kept them.

I heard a pair of LCDXs, I thought they sounded quite a bit different from what I thought Audeze cans "should" sound like. Heard LCD3s next, thought those were much better. Then I heard my LCD4s, and they were almost exactly perfect.

Maybe I'm a bit more sensitive than most, but I cannot stand harshness, hardness, brightness, shriekiness, shrillness, metallic-ness, sibilance, or anything like any of these things in even the smallest degree in any way. I can still hear to 17 kHz, and generally have extremely sensitive hearing, I think. I can't imagine needing more upper-mid/lower treble than I get out of my LCD4s right now. Any weakness that may be in my current setup probably comes from my Mimby, but frankly, I'm pretty happy with these 2 components and my Pro iCan. Quite a good combination. I can't imagine needing any additional brightness or detail, frankly I almost never run my iCan in SS mode, almost always use the tubes.

The LCD-4 is actually brighter than some headphones that don't have that dip, since this brightness comes from higher frequencies than where the dip is. I agree with Tyll's description: "When a drummer hits a cymbal right at the center with modest force, you hear a "tang" sound followed by the shimmer of the cymbal. The "tang" is at a lower frequency than the shimmer, and has a somewhat bell-like quality. With the LCD-4, the initial mid-treble "tang" is suppressed some, and the subsequent higher frequency shimmer is more accentuated. The result is a breathier, less melodic sound." Not the clearest or most accurate sound in these regions.

So you can look at it as people wanting it to sound like another brand's headphone, but that's an extreme and probably exaggerated view. Or you can look at it as, people wanting the LCD-4's sound but cleaned up treble in a few very specific regions without changing the entirety of the treble response and definitely not the entirety of the sound signature.

Incidentally, there is a brand that sounds similar to Audeze throughout the entire spectrum except without those dips (and without the extra "glare" or however you'd like to describe the attribute quoted above, so less bright than the LCD-4), and that's ZMF.

May 22, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #246 of 2,477
The LCD-4 is actually brighter than some headphones that don't have that dip, since this brightness comes from higher frequencies than where the dip is. I agree with Tyll's description: "When a drummer hits a cymbal right at the center with modest force, you hear a "tang" sound followed by the shimmer of the cymbal. The "tang" is at a lower frequency than the shimmer, and has a somewhat bell-like quality. With the LCD-4, the initial mid-treble "tang" is suppressed some, and the subsequent higher frequency shimmer is more accentuated. The result is a breathier, less melodic sound." Not the clearest or most accurate sound in these regions.

So you can look at it as people wanting it to sound like another brand's headphone, but that's an extreme and probably exaggerated view. Or you can look at it as, people wanting the LCD-4's sound but cleaned up treble in a few very specific regions without changing the entirety of the treble response and definitely not the entirety of the sound signature.

Incidentally, there is a brand that sounds similar to Audeze throughout the entire spectrum except without those dips (and without the extra "glare" or however you'd like to describe the attribute quoted above, so less bright than the LCD-4), and that's ZMF.

I get what you mean, I suppose. I guess I never really wanted for any of that. To a point, maybe my brain is auto-filling what's "not there" - but I can simply say that the LCD4s sound "exactly right" to me - as it currently stands, I haven't really had what you describe jump out at me, so I can't really say it's something I think about.

I will agree that the 4s are brighter than other models, 2s and 3s for sure, but far less hard, "shiny", grainy and "flat" than the Xs, which I didn't really like out of a Bryston amp. Which might have been the amp, I've learned. But still.

The slight added detail, treble and soundstage over the 3 is why I went for the 4s, so they do have that quality - but they have as much as I'd want.

I suppose sounds like what you describe do annoy me just a bit, so perhaps that's why I don't miss them. I listen to a lot of prog rock at times, and so far I haven't really had the chance to even look for what was missing. Maybe someday I'll finally get bored enough with them to start doing that, but for now I really don't notice that much at all. Everyone is different in what they hear, for sure.

May 22, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #247 of 2,477

The LCD X is my favorite Audeze, but I still wish it had more upper mids/lower treble for balance with the perfect bass and lower mids. If I could have an LCD X tuned with more upper mids/lower treble, I would just upgrade to the carbon fiber headband, buy a silver aftermarket cable, and walk away with my endgame headphone.

May 22, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #248 of 2,477
You need to DAC roll to make that happen. 99% sure you can have the sound you want with a Hugo 2 and the LCD-X. Or you could get a pair of Utopias. :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #250 of 2,477
LOL you have a point.

May 23, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #251 of 2,477
Have you looked into the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable? Again pricey but Drew said that would bring out the highs... he personally recommends the Black Dragon for the LCD-X but maybe you can find someone selling their Silver Dragon for a deal.

May 23, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #252 of 2,477
Have you looked into the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable? Again pricey but Drew said that would bring out the highs... he personally recommends the Black Dragon for the LCD-X but maybe you can find someone selling their Silver Dragon for a deal.

I’ve never heard the LCD X with a silver cable, but I bought a silver dragon cable for my HEK V2 last year. It sounded fantastic but started to cut in and out within 3 months. So while they sound great, I’ll never buy an aftermarket cable from Moon Audio again.

I hear you though. I’ve thought about purchasing another LCD X with vegan pads instead of leather and then pairing it with a silver cable. If the Empyrean doesn’t sound as good as I hope, that’s probably the route I’ll go. Plus, that route will be a helluva lot cheaper.

May 23, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #253 of 2,477
Yikes, that sucks! A lot of money for a cable that craps out. Did you ask if they would fix or someone else could fix? Seems they could cut and resolder if it's an issue near the connector. $100 might be disposable but the outlandish price he's asking for the silver cable I'd hope he stands behind his product. Then again, he has one of the crappiest return policies around.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #254 of 2,477
I’ve never heard the LCD X with a silver cable, but I bought a silver dragon cable for my HEK V2 last year. It sounded fantastic but started to cut in and out within 3 months. So while they sound great, I’ll never buy an aftermarket cable from Moon Audio again.

I hear you though. I’ve thought about purchasing another LCD X with vegan pads instead of leather and then pairing it with a silver cable. If the Empyrean doesn’t sound as good as I hope, that’s probably the route I’ll go. Plus, that route will be a helluva lot cheaper.
I bought a cable from a small company called Silverblue audio in California. He let me audition his cables against a SilverDragon. I bought his silverGold cable; quite a step above the SD. If you do a Google search, he might let you have a go. reasonably priced and stronger than the dragon.

May 23, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #255 of 2,477
moon audio silver is great with audeze HP's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back