Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #2,177 of 2,479
My fellow LCD-4Z owners, thanks for your thoughts on the new pads. I got them last week and installed them without much trouble. The pads actually came with extra dampening material in the shape of half-circle/moon to put next the drivers on both sides. Anyway, long story short these pads are totally game changing. It seems to lift the muffle-ness in the upper-mids and brings the tonality into much better balance. There is more air and room to breathe while retaining the Audeze creaminess in the mids. The one bit of trade off seems to be a slight decrease in bass energy, but I feel like the quality has improved with a bit more detail and extension. Overall, I'm very happy while at the same time very sad that these pads were not invented in 2018 when the LCD-4Z was first released. Now I understand why my LCD-3, LCD-X, LCD-XC all re-purchased in 2021 with the updated pads sound like magic. This is what the Audeze house sound was missing. Good job team Audeze!
Did you take any pictures of both pads or the process by any chance?

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2,178 of 2,479
Did you take any pictures of both pads or the process by any chance?
Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos. I still have my old pads though. if you squeeze them they feel different. The new pads are called open-cell foam pads and are not memory foam. They feel less dense/lighter and also sound more "open". I wouldn't be surprised if there are wide holes inside the foam under the leather and thus called "open cell". I guess only Audeze can explain exactly what the foam material is.

To explain a bit more, basically you install the two half-circle/half-moon shaped memory foam next to the driver housing square (left and right) and then attach the pads like you normally do with modern Audeze pads. It's pretty easy except the half-moon pieces stretch so you need to be careful not to stretch them out of shape.

Here is a YT clip that was helpful. Shout out to this guy whoever he is:

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #2,179 of 2,479
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,181 of 2,479
Does someone know if the LCD-4Z came with a anti moisture silica gel packet in the briefcase?

Edit:I asked Audeze support and they said that it comes inside briefcase....

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,182 of 2,479
Just got my LCD-4z back for the 2021 facelift, I have to say I enjoy the new updated sound.

It pairs really well with the new HiBy RS6 DAP. The 4z does show its value proposition as a mobile flagship and I am enjoying the synergy this pair brings, although a desktop source would naturally get you more out of the HP.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 16.25.09.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #2,183 of 2,479
I'll try and drop in some A|B bullets on 4z vs a proto 30-ohm "LCD-34"soon..

Think LCD-24....same idea...hybridized.

Not sure they will see retail production though which is maaaaaad - as they are amazing IMO - end-game can for me....pip 4z on unrestrained musicality for a start..and dynamics...they just throw musicality at you.

They need to expand their hybrid lines like LCD-24. They'll sell like hot cakes.

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,184 of 2,479

Not sure they will see retail production though which is maaaaaad - as they are amazing IMO - end-game can for me....pip 4z on unrestrained musicality for a start..and dynamics...they just throw musicality at you.

They need to expand their hybrid lines like LCD-24. They'll sell like hot cakes.

sounds interesting. Looking forward to your impressions... Maybe pics too if you are allowed.

can you tell us more about this 'LCD-34' ? I have not heard about it. The LCD-24 was good but had mixed reviews because of the 1k shout apparently

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #2,185 of 2,479

Isn't the LCD-3's the worse tuned of the Audeze line though?

Still, interested to see/hear/read about this "LCD-34" hybrid.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,186 of 2,479
Isn't the LCD-3's the worse tuned of the Audeze line though?

Still, interested to see/hear/read about this "LCD-34" hybrid.
Not a retail 110-ohm 3 disc.
These were 30-ohm proto LCD-3s discs and the double fluxor 4 magnets would further alter that presentation....

Yes, I know there can be an element of take-down on anything that could challenge 4z...I see them as complementary and it obviously won't beat out 4z on other aspects.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #2,187 of 2,479
Would you need connections to audeze to get it?

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #2,188 of 2,479
Would you need connections to audeze to get it?
Am not sure, got it off classifieds here. Came out of Audeze, not a modder frankencan.
Gap in the market anyway, slide that 34 into the thumbnails on the LCD line page...there is a gap for it 4sure.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #2,189 of 2,479
Just got my LCD-4z back for the 2021 facelift, I have to say I enjoy the new updated sound.

It pairs really well with the new HiBy RS6 DAP. The 4z does show its value proposition as a mobile flagship and I am enjoying the synergy this pair brings, although a desktop source would naturally get you more out of the HP.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 16.25.09.jpeg
This is the 2021 mesh and earpad upgrade and nothing beyond that ?

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,190 of 2,479
This is the 2021 mesh and earpad upgrade and nothing beyond that ?
Yep pretty much it. No driver changes.

Where did you find this classifieds? im interested in getting these weird audeze prototypes in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back