Audeze LCD-4
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #11,881 of 12,053
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #11,883 of 12,053
So it won't blunt transients?
You have post-ringing which is more natural and less noticeable. Post-ringing is an audio artifact that occurs after a transient sound, characterized by a prolonged, oscillating echo effect.
Whether it is noticeable depends on the specific equalizer used, the settings of that EQ, and the sensitivity of the listener.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #11,884 of 12,053
Post-ringing is what makes a musical instrument:
A drumskin, a string vibrating after being hit or plugged, an air-volume or a soundboard of an instrument resonating after being exited etc. etc.
Without resonances - no instrumental colors, no music.

So a little extra post-ringing usually stays unnoticed, at least doesn’t sound unnatural.
This is true if EQ isn’t overdone and / or misstuned.

EQ well done even can reduce ringing of a transducer and improve it’s transient response by some amount.
Examples can be found here:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/
Look at both waterfall plots, before and after EQ of several ‘phones, eg.:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k701/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/1more-triple-driver-over-ear/

A prerequisite for this is, that the EQ and the transducer work by the same principle, which typically is Minimum Phase in nature.
With acoustical transducers this is only partly the case, as sound reflections of all kind are not Minimum Phase.

It’s easy to find out:
Check what sounds better TO YOU - that‘s the only thing that counts.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #11,885 of 12,053
I just got a reply from Audeze, they said there is no need for the spacer with the new pads! I just bought a new pair directly from Audeze because Thomann doesn't have any in stock. So for anyone with old pads, just get new ones and don't worry about the spacer anymore, you won't need it.

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #11,886 of 12,053
Post-ringing is what makes a musical instrument:
A drumskin, a string vibrating after being hit or plugged, an air-volume or a soundboard of an instrument resonating after being exited etc. etc.
No resonances - no instrumental colors.

So a little extra post-ringing usually stays unnoticed, at least doesn’t sound unnatural.
This is true if EQ isn’t overdone and / or misstuned.

EQ well done even can reduce ringing of a transducer and improve it’s transient response by some amount.
A prerequisite for this is, that the EQ and the transducer work by the same principle, which typically is Minimum Phase in nature.
With acoustical transducers this is only partly the case, as sound reflections of all kind are not Minimum Phase.

It’s easy to find out:
Check what sounds better TO YOU - that‘s the only thing that counts.
Using equalization (EQ) to reduce certain unwanted resonances can improve sound clarity, but it's important to note that this might also impact the original transient response. Indeed, by reducing a resonance, the EQ might also attenuate the original transient, which does not necessarily constitute an improvement in transient response.

Furthermore, adding post-ringing to a physical resonance, unless these two elements are perfectly aligned in reverse phase (which is highly improbable), will inevitably cause some diffusion of the transient.

It will blunt the transients but the primary goal of an EQ is to alter the system's frequency response. This alteration is certainly more perceptible than the subtle changes in the temporal domain introduced by the EQ.
So do what makes your ears happy, but just keep in mind that eq has it's price particularly on the transient because it will also introduce changes in the temporal domain.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #11,887 of 12,053
If you take a in ear mic recording of a fr sweep of your headphone and allow DSP to flatten out the FR curve of the headphone/ear interactions then you can allow the DSP to add in EQ that would reproduce a 24 channel super high end listening room.... thats a good way of creating predictable ringing via DSP/EQ .... and yes you do get full separation of the 24 channels in a headphone.... welcome to the magic of the A16 Realiser....

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #11,888 of 12,053
I don't really understand how all this works, but on every forum I have ever asked I get mixed responses. When I try and listen for it, it is very difficult to tell because I have to volume match to the transient in question with and without EQ every time. The time delay and the subtle nature of what I am listening for make it too hard to judge. I can't even buy another LCD-4 and identical amp to test because there's too much FR variance between the units. I guess I will just never know the answer.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #11,889 of 12,053
I don't really understand how all this works, but on every forum I have ever asked I get mixed responses. When I try and listen for it, it is very difficult to tell because I have to volume match to the transient in question with and without EQ every time. The time delay and the subtle nature of what I am listening for make it too hard to judge. I can't even buy another LCD-4 and identical amp to test because there's too much FR variance between the units. I guess I will just never know the answer.
For a fee I would be willing to lend you my LCD 4 so you can test it. There are also the current drivers (were renewed a month ago).

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #11,890 of 12,053
I picked up the Decware ZMF Reference OTL, and am happy to report that the LCD-4 actually works really well with it. You just need to turn up the input voltage pots to max. It was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting I'd only be able to run dynamics with it.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #11,891 of 12,053
200 ohm (mine measure at ~178) are such a weird number, even more when you think about the fact that it's a planar. Are there even other high impedance planars?
It seems that i have to wait a bit for the original pads, so i also bought the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin ones which should arrive in a few days. I just can't let my new toy sit in a box for 2-3 weeks or so until i get the original ones...

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #11,892 of 12,053
200 ohm (mine measure at ~178) are such a weird number, even more when you think about the fact that it's a planar. Are there even other high impedance planars?
It seems that i have to wait a bit for the original pads, so i also bought the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin ones which should arrive in a few days. I just can't let my new toy sit in a box for 2-3 weeks or so until i get the original ones...
That is strange...not sure if impedance changes over time or that was straight from factory.

Modhouse Tungsten double sided driver is 155ohms and Audeze LCD 3 is 110ohms. Most planars are below 100ohms and I believe the LCD 4 is the highest impedance for any planar ever made but I could be wrong on that.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #11,893 of 12,053
Yeah, i think it's very unlikely that the impedance changes over time, it's gotta be unit variation, which was also said to be a thing when talking about the LCD-4, some reviews contradict each other so much... Even on the Headphoneshow ranking list Goldensound and Resolve mention the unit variation of the LCD-4.
The variation in the upper midrange / treble is talked about a lot. I'm very happy with the sound of mine when it comes to that.

I also don't think you can "benefit" from that high impedance like from a dynamic driver, right? Like, a 200-600 ohm headphone will get most likely bass boosted on a tube amp, but a planar does not care.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #11,894 of 12,053
I don't know...a tube amp *might* not interact with a high impedence planar the same way as a high impedence dynamic...I'm not sure. But at least it lets you try it out. Like, it's pretty cool that I can run the LCD-4 on an OTL amp with no huge downsides.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #11,895 of 12,053
I don't know...a tube amp *might* not interact with a high impedence planar the same way as a high impedence dynamic...I'm not sure. But at least it lets you try it out. Like, it's pretty cool that I can run the LCD-4 on an OTL amp with no huge downsides.
Low impedence planars are generally not recommended to run on OTL amps, LCD 4 works fine because of its high impedence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back