Audeze LCD-4
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #11,896 of 11,995
I have a GOTL that powers the LCD-4 nicely with 6AS7G power tubes
L1.jpg IMG_2144.JPG

It even did a decent job with the ZMF Ori, which is really tough to drive well, used 6336 power tubes to drive that. Don't anybody put those 6336 power tubes in your OTL amp however unless you have word that they will work in your amp...commercial OTL amps will not use these tubes!!
I love the creamy sound of the LCD-4, no EQ for me.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #11,899 of 11,995
Dumb question: what is “GOTL”?

Sorry, I should have explained that.
It is a custom built OTL amp, made to work with many different tubes and has different parts and innards compared to commercial OTL amps.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #11,900 of 11,995
The Dekoni Sheepskin pads have arrived, they are M A S S I V E !
I needed to adjust the headband one click further out.
They seem to be very close to the original ones and - YES - i can confirm that there is a significantly lower ~1kHz bump (which annoyed me) than with the used leather pads!
I think the soundstage improved a bit, but the imaging suffered slightly in return, they are very deep, but very comfortable.

When (if, lol, i haven't even got a shipping confirmation) the original Audeze pads arrive i will most likely use those, until that point i'm very happy with the Dekoni ones!
I spend a lot of time today listening to Bullet For My Valentine, Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin etc. I really love the LCD-4 for this kind of music. I know it's not exactly audiophile, i don't care! :beyersmile:

PXL_20240206_205427233.NIGHT.jpg

Btw: No problem regarding anything when it comes to "damaging the driver because a spacer is missing", but i also don't blast my ears out with extremely loud music...

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #11,901 of 11,995
The Dekoni Sheepskin pads have arrived, they are M A S S I V E !
I needed to adjust the headband one click further out.
They seem to be very close to the original ones and - YES - i can confirm that there is a significantly lower ~1kHz bump (which annoyed me) than with the used leather pads!
I think the soundstage improved a bit, but the imaging suffered slightly in return, they are very deep, but very comfortable.

When (if, lol, i haven't even got a shipping confirmation) the original Audeze pads arrive i will most likely use those, until that point i'm very happy with the Dekoni ones!
I spend a lot of time today listening to Bullet For My Valentine, Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin etc. I really love the LCD-4 for this kind of music. I know it's not exactly audiophile, i don't care! :beyersmile:

PXL_20240206_205427233.NIGHT.jpg

Btw: No problem regarding anything when it comes to "damaging the driver because a spacer is missing", but i also don't blast my ears out with extremely loud music...
Yep. I got the same. Great sound and confort.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #11,902 of 11,995
I think one of the main things I enjoy about the LCD-4 is that music is presented in such an effortless manner. With some headphones, as a musical passage becomes busier, the sound can begin to feel a bit compressed, but with the LCD-4, as more and more instruments are added, I simply hear each new instrument in it's own space. I've been listening almost exclusively to an internet station out of France called Sun Jazz, 24/7 commercial free, just coming through my Denon receiver, and with the LCD-4 it's quite glorious.

I'm newly semi-retired, and it's such a treat, late at night, to lay back in my recliner and listen for hours to the wonderful mix of jazz they play, and LCD-4 lets me listen to the music, not the headphones. Ah, life is good : )

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #11,903 of 11,995
I think one of the main things I enjoy about the LCD-4 is that music is presented in such an effortless manner. With some headphones, as a musical passage becomes busier, the sound can begin to feel a bit compressed, but with the LCD-4, as more and more instruments are added, I simply hear each new instrument in it's own space. I've been listening almost exclusively to an internet station out of France called Sun Jazz, 24/7 commercial free, just coming through my Denon receiver, and with the LCD-4 it's quite glorious.

I'm newly semi-retired, and it's such a treat, late at night, to lay back in my recliner and listen for hours to the wonderful mix of jazz they play, and LCD-4 lets me listen to the music, not the headphones. Ah, life is good : )
Congrats, semi-retired is enviable! Looking forward to that phase of life as well. And it's true... the LCD-4 seems so light-footed, musical & effortless, but bombastic and weighted when needed. Fuses together exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #11,904 of 11,995
Good morning. I have an older set of LCD-4’s. From reading here it seems they are the 100ohm version. Serial 4142177. Should I leave them as is? Or is there a benefit to sending them in to be converted? Any noticeable sound difference's? Thanks!

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #11,905 of 11,995
Good morning. I have an older set of LCD-4’s. From reading here it seems they are the 100ohm version. Serial 4142177. Should I leave them as is? Or is there a benefit to sending them in to be converted? Any noticeable sound difference's? Thanks!
What year did you purchase them? If they are from 2016 or later, most likely they are 200ohms.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #11,907 of 11,995
I bought them second hand in 2020 from somewhere else. Unfortunately the add is no longer around.
There's no way of telling for sure so I would recommend getting an ohm-meter and measuring it.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #11,909 of 11,995
Thanks. Are there any disadvantages to the 100ohm?
Yes, they were notorious for being faulty which is the reason Audeze switched to a 200ohm driver but people say the 100ohm version sounded better, not sure what to believe in that claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back