Audeze LCD-4
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #11,491 of 11,994
Balanced offers the same Current, but twice the Voltage = 6 dB more.
Voltage is the more important factor anyway on the relatively high 200 Ohm impedance LCD-4.

Due to the high impedance LCD-4 draws almost negligible Current (Ohms Law).
This makes it a good pairing with an OTL tube amp, something I can confirm here.

Low Current, for an solid state- or tube-amp, even means less and softer distortions.
With low Current an amp can stay in Class-A-Mode, avoiding crossover distortions.
It was interesting, because when I tried it with an OG Schiit Valhalla, the bass just "didn't work". I don't know how else to explain it. You would hear this wobble where the bass should be.

Since I had it backwards, wouldn't that suggest that balanced operation is even more important then?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #11,492 of 11,994
Balanced amp has also has a better slew rate.
Normally a balanced amp is optimized for the balanced output.
So, the rule of thumb is if you have a balanced amp used the balanced output with a balanced cable.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #11,493 of 11,994
Yeah, that's kind of the conclusion I came to after a lot of reading: balanced isn't inherently better than single ended for personal audio, giving the short cable distances. But amp topologies are usually optimized for one or the other, so go with what your amp is optimized for. I have a GSX Mini which is internally a balanced topology, and to get the most of the amp, I run it balanced in/out.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #11,494 of 11,994
It was interesting, because when I tried it with an OG Schiit Valhalla, the bass just "didn't work". I don't know how else to explain it. You would hear this wobble where the bass should be.

Since I had it backwards, wouldn't that suggest that balanced operation is even more important then?
A miswired cable with one side‘s polarity reversed does have exactly this effect.

Usually the sound difference - other than higher possible volume with balanced, isn‘t night and day.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #11,496 of 11,994
Voltage is the more important factor anyway on the relatively high 200 Ohm impedance LCD-4.

Due to the high impedance LCD-4 draws almost negligible Current (Ohms Law).
This makes it a good pairing with OTL tube amps, something I can confirm here.

Low Current, for an solid state- or tube-amp, even means less and softer distortions.
With low Current an amp can stay in Class-A-Mode, avoiding crossover distortions

No a balanced differential connection double the voltage, double the power and double the current capacity of an fully balanced amp.

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #11,497 of 11,994
No a balanced differential connection double the voltage, double the power and double the current capacity of an fully balanced amp.
For a given Impedance (Ohm) doubling the Voltage (Volt) doubles the Current (Ampere), which equals 4-times the Power (Watt).

This IS true for a theoretical balanced amp with unlimited Current capability – or if the load is not taxing the amp’s Current capability, like is the case with the 200 Ohm AUDEZE LCD-4.

I don’t know of any amp that runs into Current problems with LCD-4.
LCD-4 balanced = 6 dB more sound pressure level
, because of the doubled Voltage (and therefore doubled, but still minimal Current).

Looking at the topic in general, it‘s not that simple:

Every amp uses some kind of current limiter to protect it from breaking.
This limit doesn’t change when running balanced, as the same current has to run through both the non-inverting and inverting branch of a balanced amp, with the headphone clamped in between.

So the resulting balanced advantage depends on the connected headphones‘ impedance and the amp’s Current CAPABILITY.
For a majority of amps driving e.g. a low impedance of 16 Ohm the Current is the limiting factor, using those amps balanced doesn’t increase the resulting Power - see each amp’s factory specs.

Practically all this doesn’t make too much of a difference - 6 dB more or less volume isn’t night and day.
For really more volume a stronger amp is needed, in case of LCD-4 with significantly more Voltage capability.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #11,498 of 11,994
For a given Impedance (Ohm) doubling the Voltage (Volt) doubles the Current (Ampere), which equals 4-times the Power (Watt).
Yes
This was what you wrote about current :point_up_2:

A fully balanced differential amplifier is made of 4 amplification. Make no mistake if you use the singel ended output of a fully balanced differential amplifier you will literally only use half of the amplifier. This affect more aspects than the voltage, current and power output.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #11,499 of 11,994
Yes

This was what you wrote about current :point_up_2:

A fully balanced differential amplifier is made of 4 amplification. Make no mistake if you use the singel ended output of a fully balanced differential amplifier you will literally only use half of the amplifier. This affect more aspects than the voltage, current and power output.
I was referring to the maximum current an amp can deliver.

It’s true, there is a lot more about balanced than just higher output.
Although, I have to admit, I’m using it just for that when being mobile.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #11,502 of 11,994
Has anyone tried the Audeze vegan pads with the LCD4? Not the new one, but the older one that was discontinued a while back.
I did this test a long time ago with my LCD-3 and didn't like it - lost to much top energy (upper mid and treble). To dull sounding.

I use them on my HE-6, witch has a bit to much energy there IMO.

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #11,503 of 11,994
Has anyone tried the Audeze vegan pads with the LCD4? Not the new one, but the older one that was discontinued a while back.
Just make sure you keep the felt ring from the old pads. That felt ring is the thing that solved Audeze driver failures.

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #11,504 of 11,994
1697054763583.png

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #11,505 of 11,994
I am so curious to try the Susvara, but I find nothing lacking from my properly EQ'd LCD-4 so I can't be bothered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back