Audeze LCD-4
Oct 16, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #4,666 of 11,986
  looks like a great time although I find the Mojo itself is not powerful enough to drive the LCD-4 properly...

I agree 100%. For just sitting in the basement away from my desktop set up it works well for listening at lower volumes. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,667 of 11,986
  looks like a great time although I find the Mojo itself is not powerful enough to drive the LCD-4 properly...

That's because it's not. 
redface.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #4,668 of 11,986
Dumb question, would the Magni 2 uber be powerful enough to drive this headphone? It works fine for my LCD3, most listening is done at 1030-1130. Someone wants to sell me their pair but I'm not sure if I'm ready to cough up cash for a new amp/dac. 

I heard it needs 2x the power to drive it so am I going to pushing this thing at 2-3 oclock all of the time?

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #4,669 of 11,986
Dumb question, would the Magni 2 uber be powerful enough to drive this headphone? It works fine for my LCD3, most listening is done at 1030-1130. Someone wants to sell me their pair but I'm not sure if I'm ready to cough up cash for a new amp/dac. 

I heard it needs 2x the power to drive it so am I going to pushing this thing at 2-3 oclock all of the time?
it's a $4000 headphone, you can't at least swing a Jotunheim or some AGD?

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #4,670 of 11,986

They might play loud enough for you with the Magni 2 Uber, but they're not going to give you their best.  Even Audeze recommend having a least a watt of available power at 200 ohms for them.

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #4,671 of 11,986

Certainly not ideal to drive this power hungry $4000 pair of headphones with a $100 starter meant for entry level headphones. I would suggest you look at their new Jotunheim instead at the very least.

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #4,672 of 11,986

LCD-4 is the type of headphone that makes it fun and exciting trying different DAC/Amplifiers, because there seems to be no boundaries to how well it upscales. Of course that statement can just be an Audeze fanboy hyperbolizing, but I just bought a new DAC and amplifier since returning from RMAF. You can enjoy it with plenty of DAC/Amplifiers, but you can continue to get more and more out of it as you upgrade. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,673 of 11,986
After swapping to vegan pads I have to honestly say that I prefer the leather pads in terms of sound quality. It did change the sound and to my ears in a less pleasing way. It's darker and and not as powerful or lively sounding.

But.. to me it feels much much more comfortable so it's tough!

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #4,674 of 11,986

LCD-4 is the type of headphone that makes it fun and exciting trying different DAC/Amplifiers, because there seems to be no boundaries to how well it upscales. Of course that statement can just be an Audeze fanboy hyperbolizing, but I just bought a new DAC and amplifier since returning from RMAF. You can enjoy it with plenty of DAC/Amplifiers, but you can continue to get more and more out of it as you upgrade. 

I just want it to work for a while until I can get another amp

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #4,675 of 11,986

When I upgraded from the LCD-2 to LCD-4, I was able to simply dial up the power/volume and enjoy the new power-hungry headphones.  Out of my three amps, it:
  1. exceeded the headroom of my transportable Grace m9XX (single-ended)
  2. caused me to increase the volume from 60 to 80 on my Grace m920, maintaining plenty of dynamic range (single-ended)
  3. required an increase of volume from 10-o'clock to 1-o'clock on my Little Dot Mk VI+ with just gorgeous, mellifluous sound I could listen to forever (balanced)

- Dave

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,676 of 11,986

Then again, possibly not.

According to:

https://schiit.com/products/magni-2

The Magni 2 Uber puts out 1.2W at 50
Ω and only 320mW at 300Ω.​

According to:​

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-4 (scroll down to "specifications")

Audeze recommends 1-4W into their 200
Ω cans.​

Might be tight.​

- Dave​

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #4,677 of 11,986

Do it. If you can get a good price on an LCD-4 now, but can't afford a 'duck's nuts' amp at the same time, don't worry about it.  According to the math, 200mw will drive the LCD4 to painful levels and if the Magni 2 uber will do 320mw into 300 ohms then you should be more than fine to use it for a temporary solution without running out of room on your volume knob.  Is it the end game audiophile amp for these headphones?  Probably not, but your question was will it work until you can save up some more cash?  Absolutely.  If the LCD-4 price is too good to refuse I would go for it.  If it's not that great a price, then I suppose it doesn't matter if you want to hold off too.

As long as you are the one that wants to buy the things of course and you're not just getting pressured into it...

According to:​

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-4 (scroll down to "specifications")

Audeze recommends 1-4W into their 200
Ω cans.​

Might be tight.​

- Dave​

Last time I checked Audeze's website it recommended 1-4w for all their LCD's - even the X which is made for portable use.  I think this is a case of either laziness in website maintenance, or Audeze just want you to spend up on a big headphone amp to reduce the chances of a customer doing something silly like plugging an LCD3 into an ipod and giving the 3 a bad wrap for being not that great.  Could be a number of reasons but I would take that spec with a grain of salt.

---

Go to here:
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
and type in 200 into impedance and 97 into sensitivity and you can see the figures yourself.
Of course audiophiles will argue for the best, you want X times the RMS power for proper handling of transient peaks etc etc but that's not really the question - the question is will it work for the meantime, and the answer is yeah.  Only other factor to consider that I can think of, is if your dac outputs a very low level signal, you won't get that quoted power out of the Magni's volume knob, but I think it would have to be something unusually low for it to not be a 'listenable' setup for now.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #4,678 of 11,986
  I agree 100%. For just sitting in the basement away from my desktop set up it works well for listening at lower volumes. 

I think that Mojo amplifies it decently, meaning that I can get away with mojo and LCD-4 from time to time and have a quality audition. However, you will get more slam, bass depth, dynamic range, soundstage with a more powerful amp. Let's not forget that power isn't the only thing that a good headphone needs. A good amplifier must also keep the signal from the DAC pure for a clean/transparent sound signature. ifi ican pro and agd master 9 are both very clean sounding / grain free amplifiers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back