Audeze LCD-4
Oct 18, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,681 of 11,986
  Ok thanks guys. I'm listening to the LCD4 on a magni 2 uber and it seems to be adequate for now. Even passages with MASSIVE BASS it does fine.

Droopy - It didn't take you long to climb from the LCD-2 to the 4!  Maybe I'll see you on the M11 thread when it's time to get your new amp/dac :wink:

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4,682 of 11,986
  Ok thanks guys. I'm listening to the LCD4 on a magni 2 uber and it seems to be adequate for now. Even passages with MASSIVE BASS it does fine.

It does much finer. 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #4,683 of 11,986
dont bother with the LCD-4 unless you have some serious power available...otherwise it is a waste of an awful lot of cash

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #4,684 of 11,986
  dont bother with the LCD-4 unless you have some serious power available...otherwise it is a waste of an awful lot of cash

He did mention that it was a temporary solution and simply asked if it would work.
Specifically which low powered amps have you tried the 4's with and specifically what was wrong with them?
I recall you saying the Mojo was a bit light-on, but the Magni 2 Uber has roughly 4 times the power of the Mojo.

I know it's a cheap amp, and I know it's not the audiophile end game solution for the 4's but that wasn't the question - he indicated a number of times that he plans to upgrade the amp as soon as possible, just not right now.  I would be willing to bet that a 4 plugged into a Magni would sound better than a 2 plugged into any amp any day.  He's upgrading in the right order as far as I'm concerned.  Not everyone has the cash for the whole system up front.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #4,685 of 11,986
He did mention that it was a temporary solution and simply asked if it would work.
Specifically which low powered amps have you tried the 4's with and specifically what was wrong with them?

I recall you saying the Mojo was a bit light-on, but the Magni 2 Uber has roughly 4 times the power of the Mojo.

I know it's a cheap amp, and I know it's not the audiophile end game solution for the 4's but that wasn't the question - he indicated a number of times that he plans to upgrade the amp as soon as possible, just not right now.  I would be willing to bet that a 4 plugged into a Magni would sound better than a 2 plugged into any amp any day.  He's upgrading in the right order as far as I'm concerned.  Not everyone has the cash for the whole system up front.

I'm actually impressed with the Magni 2u. No distortion at 3 o'clock where I listen at the loudest levels for the music I like. It sounds like it could use more power but definitely still enjoyable. Schiit will get more of my money once they come out with a MB dac module for Jotunheim. I like my midi mb

I definitely hear the advantages of the 4 vs the 3. I did wonder how it could get better but it is and with no equalization. I did bump or drop the 3 a Db or two in equalization settings.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #4,686 of 11,986
quick question to you guys who clearly know a LOT more than i do......

will the OPPO HA-1 amp/dac be powerful enough to drive the LCD-4?  i was told it won't.  is that true?

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #4,688 of 11,986
  Just looking at specs it looks plenty powerful. 2.4watts into 600ohm balanced is nothing to sneeze at. 

i was kinda talked out of buying an LCD-4 by someone at Audeze because he said my current amp (the OPPO) wasn't powerful enough.  he said anyone that complains about the LCD-4 not sounding spectacular does so because he/she has it hooked up to a weak amp.  he said their "King" won't be available for a few months, so he gave me a list of other amps that could do the job.  the problem is, i am a newb and i have gotten far too in the weeds looking at all this stuff.  i just want one unit that's both an amp and a DAC that will drive all my headphones and sound great.  right now i just have the Senn HD700, and i have the Utopia on order.  i wanted a planar magnetic and i wanted the best so i was thinking LCD-4.  and then when MrSpeakers comes out with an electrostatic, i want to get that.  that way i'll have the best of all three technologies, you know?  

but i don't want to have to buy another dac/amp, i just bought my OPPO HA-1 and i really like its versatility, connectability, and ease of use.

i don't wanna spend a(nother) fortune on a dac/amp ON TOP OF these insanely-priced cans.  but the only thing i can find that is a combo dac/amp that will do the job is the Chord Hugo TT.  but that's like $5k.  i'd so much rather not spend that kind of bank on another dac/amp when i just bought the OPPO and it's sitting here making me happy as hell with my HD-700.  

if you are saying the OPPO will drive the LCD-4 okay, maybe i'll just get the headphones and see what happens?  any other opinions out there?  

just as an aside..... the audiophile community must collectively be one of the highest IQ hobby communities there is.  i fancy myself a smart man, but jesus christ this stuff is complicated as hell.  i have the money to spend and i just want the best, yet simplest, solution.  i was hoping the OPPO would be it???

edit:  i don't wanna clog up this thread with my stupidity.  is there another forum on HeadFi where advice questions like this is more appropriate?  thx

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,689 of 11,986
I own it and it powers everything I've thrown at it just fine. Easily drives my LCD-3 even though the 4 needs more juice I think you'll have plenty

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4,690 of 11,986
Agree! I had an HA-1 when they first came out -- great value for money. Then a Taurus II and the seperate Auralic Vega DAC and now a 430HA for my LCD-4 and forthcoming Utopia. Back then I mainly listened to my LCD-3F, but never had any trouble with it even at very loud volumes, with the volume hardly turned up at all,  so it should drive the LCD-4 without any difficulty what-so-ever.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #4,691 of 11,986
i was literally talked out of buying an LCD-4 by someone at Audeze because he said my current amp (the OPPO) wasn't powerful enough.  he said anyone that complains about the LCD-4 not sounding spectacular does so because he/she has it hooked up to a weak amp.  he said their "King" won't be available for a few months, so he gave me a list of other amps that could do the job.  the problem is, i am a newb and i have gotten far too in the weeds looking at all this stuff.  i just want one unit that's both an amp and a DAC that will drive all my headphones and sound great.  right now i just have the Senn HD700, and i have the Utopia on order.  i wanted a planar magnetic and i wanted the best so i was thinking LCD-4.  and then when MrSpeakers comes out with an electrostatic, i want to get that.  that way i'll have the best of all three technologies, you know?  

but i don't want to have to buy another dac/amp, i just bought my OPPO HA-1 and i really like its versatility, connectability, and ease of use.

i don't wanna spend a(nother) fortune on a dac/amp ON TOP OF these insanely-priced cans.  but the only thing i can find that is a combo dac/amp that will do the job is the Chord Hugo TT.  but that's like $5k.  i'd so much rather not spend that kind of bank on another dac/amp when i just bought the OPPO and it's sitting here making me happy as hell with my HD-700.  

if you are saying the OPPO will drive the LCD-4 okay, maybe i'll just get the headphones and see what happens?  any other opinions out there?  

just as an aside..... the audiophile community must collectively be one of the highest IQ hobby communities there is.  i fancy myself a smart man, but jesus christ this stuff is complicated as hell.  i have the money to spend and i just want the best, yet simplest, solution.  i was hoping the OPPO would be it???

edit:  i don't wanna clog up this thread with my stupidity.  is there another forum on HeadFi where advice questions like this is more appropriate?  thx

At 200 ohms it puts out a ton of power with no distortion

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #4,692 of 11,986

i was literally talked out of buying an LCD-4 by someone at Audeze because he said my current amp (the OPPO) wasn't powerful enough.  he said anyone that complains about the LCD-4 not sounding spectacular does so because he/she has it hooked up to a weak amp.  he said their "King" won't be available for a few months, so he gave me a list of other amps that could do the job.  the problem is, i am a newb and i have gotten far too in the weeds looking at all this stuff.  i just want one unit that's both an amp and a DAC that will drive all my headphones and sound great.  right now i just have the Senn HD700, and i have the Utopia on order.  i wanted a planar magnetic and i wanted the best so i was thinking LCD-4.  and then when MrSpeakers comes out with an electrostatic, i want to get that.  that way i'll have the best of all three technologies, you know?  

I really enjoyed the Audio GD Master 9, and the Master 11 is the same Amp but with a built in DAC thats pretty good. Both can be had used for a very reasonable 1000-1500 depending on which one. I'll be parting ways with a Burson CV2+ very soon, which is also a very good choice for the LCD-4s, its DAC compliments the 4s well. The Chord Hugo TT retail price is high, but it can be had for cheaper if you shop, much cheaper. You can find it for 2800, give or take on the used forums. It's an excellent DAC, but the Amp will not push the LCD-4s very well. I just purchased the ampsandsound Mogwai from the recent can jam in Colorado, I absolutely love it, and it is very reasonably priced for the sheer power, it will smile at the LCD-4s with power to spare. You can find lots of very good pairings with the LCD-4 if you are patient, the used forum has a great selection at very reasonable prices, just be patient and keep an eye out. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #4,693 of 11,986

I own LCD-4 and OPPO HA-1. Previously I owned LCD-3 which sounded great with OPPO, but that's not a case of LCD-4. They are much more hungry, I have to turn volume knob to -12dB, it's loud enough, but dynamics and power is missing. I feel that LCD-3 sounded much better in terms of dynamic and punch. LCD-3 I used to listen at -22dB on high gain.

I already ordered Moon 430HA without DAC module, as it's using same dac chip as HA-1. This could be also solution for you. You will have one of tbe best universal amp at it's price plus same DAC as you have in your oppo right now. Of course you can keep oppo and go for Moon without DAC module, but you mentioned that you would like to keep simplicity of one device.

Do not hesitate to PM me if you have more questions.

ERIK

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #4,694 of 11,986

It will have enough power, yes, heaps of amps will have enough power - even some entry level ones as we just discussed.  I think it is more of a question of synergy as different manufacturers voice their amps slightly differently - if you have a bright amp with a bright headphone, it might be too harsh, or a darker sounding headphone with a darker amp might be a little veiled and boring.  You just need a pairing that complements each other well for your tastes - which can be hard to gauge without hearing things for yourself.  Many Head Fi'ers own multiple headphones and multiple amps so they can pick something that suits their mood.  Others claim that you can get any sound you want with a neutral headphone and some EQ...

Also, you have to keep in mind that there is no simple clean cut answer for what is "best" and it's highly subjective.  For example, I prefer the Abyss over LCD-4 by a fair margin, but some people hate the aesthetics so much they won't even try them.  Everybody's different.  

I actually went to a newly opened local head fi store when the LCD4 was released and the only amp they had to demo it off was the Oppo HA1, so there you go...  Ask 10 guys you will get 10 opinions.  Listen to stuff for yourself if at all possible - especially when you're spending thousands on something that is largely a matter of taste.  If you want to start a collection, then by all means, buy a bunch of different stuff, but if you want the one ultimate setup for you, then auditioning is the only way to go.  Reading 100 reviews is no substitute for one audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back