Audeze LCD-4
Jul 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #4,261 of 12,025
I had compared the 100 and 200ohm LCD4 recently in a Perth HeadFi meet. I think its neccessary for me to bring this up.

All folks in the meet were agreed that the 200ohm LCD4 is better. The source we had used is not perfect (Hugo TT) but the result is obvious in 15mins critical listening. The 200ohm is sweeter and have better headroom to presence. The 100ohm is easier to drive and its obviously louder than the 200ohm at same power output. When we turn the volume of Hugo TT up the 200ohm version truly have something that caught our ear. This experience is very fun. Basically i can confirm that the 200ohm version is the real improvement from original LCD4, not something compensated for the previous fragile model from Audeze.

Jul 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,264 of 12,025
  As I mentioned earlier, I find the newer iteration of the LCD4 to be an improvement (actually a significant one) over the original. There is more presence, and every frequency or sonic flavor of each musical object seems to be done with no artificial exaggeration.
Nothing is buried in the bass for instance, and the highs do not toss sonic darts at my ears. For me, these headphones have the best portrayal of the highs I ever heard, walking the line just right, full of detail without any searing pain or unnatural sharpness.
If you heard the original version and enjoy it, I will take the leap of faith that the new version will not cause you regret in any way. 

I concur after several days of use that the 200 ohm is an improvement. I was very concerned about this but 50+ hours of brake in and a lot of critical listening confirms the upgrade is clearly a nice improvement all around.

Agreed! My updated LCD-4 review will have my thoughts between the original and newer 200 ohm versions...should be out in 3 weeks or so. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #4,268 of 12,025

I don't have direct experience with the Mjolnir 2 combined with the LCD-4, but I would think that you'd be fine from a power-perspective.  I could try running them off my original Lyr, which has less power, tomorrow and see if you like (might not be a good signature match with the tubes I have it, but otherwise should be reasonably indicative).

While I tend to find I like the sense of ease, and massive dynamic reserves, that very (unnecessarily) powerful headphone amplifiers seem to bring to my listening, I don't think it's strictly necessary and once you're around 1W of power, most things have more juice than they'll ever need.

Is the Mjolnir 2 significantly more powerful than your original Lyr? I guess if Lyr powers the LCD-4 sufficiently then I don't have to stretch my budget to WA5LE level amps just to acquire enough power ... grateful if you could try and report back ..... TIA 
bigsmile_face.gif

Weren't the 100 ohm versions recalled?  Your dealer should really send them back to be swapped over.

I think it would be fairly safe to demo them though - they would have to be quite similar to the 200 ohm - I don't think you'd notice much difference from when you audition the 100 to when you receive your 200...

The distributor of Audeze in Hong Kong has the 100 ohm version and I have asked many times whether they can get the 200 ohm version so I can demo that, but they kept telling me no they won't have the 200 ohm version demo, and for some reason they are not sending it in either. I've demoed the 100 ohm and I like it, but for this price I really need to demo a 200 ohm to make sure, or else I'll just go with the Ether Flow at half the price and being much more efficient and comfortable. 

To be honest I am wishing it will and maybe than it will open other brands again eyes because headphones/ciem/iem world of top models unfortunately changed on cool never ending growing prices...but it is still only headphones with limits on many sides. But I know hand work is not easy, everyone wants to have a good etc. but top model should be perfect in every way mainly in sound and I guess it is still not for what it is ask. 

Exactly, I have no desktop amp and the 200 ohm LCD-4 is unavailable to be demoed (only available for purchase), so the Ether Flow is looking to be a suitable 'replacement' of the LCD-4 until there is a 200 ohm demo and until stock is available ...  

As I mentioned earlier, I find the newer iteration of the LCD4 to be an improvement (actually a significant one) over the original. There is more presence, and every frequency or sonic flavor of each musical object seems to be done with no artificial exaggeration.
Nothing is buried in the bass for instance, and the highs do not toss sonic darts at my ears. For me, these headphones have the best portrayal of the highs I ever heard, walking the line just right, full of detail without any searing pain or unnatural sharpness.
If you heard the original version and enjoy it, I will take the leap of faith that the new version will not cause you regret in any way. 

Thanks for the affirmation, is it more neutral or warm? 

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #4,269 of 12,025
Is the Mjolnir 2 significantly more powerful than your original Lyr? I guess if Lyr powers the LCD-4 sufficiently then I don't have to stretch my budget to WA5LE level amps just to acquire enough power ... grateful if you could try and report back ..... TIA :bigsmile_face:

I'm happy to do the comparison, but unfortunately I won't be able to do it until I'm back from my trip (supposed to leave tomorrow) - which will be at least a couple of weeks.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #4,270 of 12,025

The distributor of Audeze in Hong Kong has the 100 ohm version and I have asked many times whether they can get the 200 ohm version so I can demo that, but they kept telling me no they won't have the 200 ohm version demo, and for some reason they are not sending it in either. I've demoed the 100 ohm and I like it, but for this price I really need to demo a 200 ohm to make sure, or else I'll just go with the Ether Flow at half the price and being much more efficient and comfortable. 

Exactly, I have no desktop amp and the 200 ohm LCD-4 is unavailable to be demoed (only available for purchase), so the Ether Flow is looking to be a suitable 'replacement' of the LCD-4 until there is a 200 ohm demo and until stock is available ...  

Are you willing to make any comparisons LCD-4/100 vs Ether Flow?

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #4,271 of 12,025
I'm happy to do the comparison, but unfortunately I won't be able to do it until I'm back from my trip (supposed to leave tomorrow) - which will be at least a couple of weeks.

No problem, patience is my virtue. This hobby has rendered me an unwilling expert in waiting lol

Are you willing to make any comparisons LCD-4/100 vs Ether Flow?

I have not heard the Ether flow, and probably won't have a chance to until August / September. Comparing the LCD-4/100 and the original Ether, the Ether was leaner, purer in tonality and more uncolored. I'm hoping the Ether Flow's reported augmented bass will make it warmer, lusher and fuller like Audezes.  

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #4,272 of 12,025
  No problem, patience is my virtue. This hobby has rendered me an unwilling expert in waiting lol

Change of plan - my trip is delayed for another day or so (that's what happens when I try and tack my pleasure sojourns on the back of my business trips ... fortunately my fiancé has a reasonably flexible schedule or I'd be doing a lot more solo vacations, which I'd hate) ... so I can probably do this in the morning.

In the interim, while I prefer the sense of ease that comes with running my LCD-4 off my WA5-LE in high-power mode, Woo actually recommend using low-power mode for them.  I do know that they don't clip (unlike the Abyss) with my little WA6, and they are more than loud enough, but the dynamics there are definitely suppressed some.  Of course, the WA6 only has about 150mw into 200 ohms, which is much less than either the Lyr or the Mjolnir.

I'm inclined to think it'll work just fine ... I'm just a power-addict when it comes to planar cans.  They always seem, to me, to respond much better to huge reserves of power and the higher available current seems to lend something to the authority with which they are driven.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,274 of 12,025

Change of plan - my trip is delayed for another day or so (that's what happens when I try and tack my pleasure sojourns on the back of my business trips ... fortunately my fiancé has a reasonably flexible schedule or I'd be doing a lot more solo vacations, which I'd hate) ... so I can probably do this in the morning.

In the interim, while I prefer the sense of ease that comes with running my LCD-4 off my WA5-LE in high-power mode, Woo actually recommend using low-power mode for them.  I do know that they don't clip (unlike the Abyss) with my little WA6, and they are more than loud enough, but the dynamics there are definitely suppressed some.  Of course, the WA6 only has about 150mw into 200 ohms, which is much less than either the Lyr or the Mjolnir.

I'm inclined to think it'll work just fine ... I'm just a power-addict when it comes to planar cans.  They always seem, to me, to respond much better to huge reserves of power and the higher available current seems to lend something to the authority with which they are driven.

Thanks, though theoretically wouldn't a huge reserve of power just be 'not used' and will not have an effect on overall sound since they are not even being used to drive the cans? I hope Mjolnir 2 can bring out those dynamics compared to WA6. I can't afford any Woo stuff besides WA7Fireflies, both the WA5LE and the upcoming WA22SE are really price prohibitive for me. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #4,275 of 12,025
  Thanks, though theoretically wouldn't a huge reserve of power just be 'not used' and will not have an effect on overall sound since they are not even being used to drive the cans? I hope Mjolnir 2 can bring out those dynamics compared to WA6. I can't afford any Woo stuff besides WA7Fireflies, both the WA5LE and the upcoming WA22SE are really price prohibitive for me. 

The headphones won't draw more current than they need for a given voltage, given their impedance at the composite frequency at any given moment, that's true.

The voltage is a "push" thing; the amp has a specific potential difference at a given attenuation setting for a given input signal level (based on it's gain).  That "drives" the headphone.  But that voltage, combined with the impedance of the headphone dictates the amount of current the headphones will draw (a "pull" thing).  If the amp can supply it, it's all good - if not, you get clipping (and potential damage to the transducer if you push it too far).

An amp with more power available than is required will simply not run into clipping even with protracted periods of high-output that demands lots of current.  A less powerful amplifier might be up against the wall in terms of ability to service the current demand, and will have less dynamic headroom, so those big power excursions won't be tolerated as well.

I gave the LCD-4 a run with my Lyr this morning.  I didn't feel they were hurting for power.  Imagine the Mjolnir 2 will do an even better job and probably has more reserve power capacity (beyond simply being rated higher) anyway.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back