Audeze LCD-4
Jul 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #4,247 of 12,053
The Ether Flow has just been announced, wonder if they can rival LCD 4 because they are a much more affordable (comparatively) option and is more comfortable.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,248 of 12,053
Will the Mjolnir 2 do well with the new LCD 4 200 ohms? Ragnarok is out of my budget and I don't need to drive speakers and I like the versatility, look, form factor and price point of Mjolnir 2 better. Schiit's site lists the Mjolnir 2's maximum power to be 850mW RMS per channel for 300 ohms so I guess with the LCD 4 it will be slightly just 1W per channel, meaning a total of 7W less than the WA5-LE? Is that going to drive the LCD 4 at all? [COLOR=8F8F8F]
[/COLOR]

What is it called? 

While the MJ2 will power the LCD-4 nicely, I find its sound refined but boring and lacking in dynamics and PRaT compared to the more lively Burson Soloist.
I tried 4 sets of tubes including the famous 74 and 75 reflectors.the LISST cans were more snappy sounding but lacked the refinement or the tubes and were a bit grainy sounding.
My headphones were LCD-2 ,3f, Hifiman 560 and ZMF Omnis at the time. I sold the MJ2 after a few weeks (it was already broke in) and put my Burson back in. Mucho better to my ears.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,249 of 12,053
While the MJ2 will power the LCD-4 nicely, I find its sound refined but boring and lacking in dynamics and PRaT compared to the more lively Burson Soloist.
I tried 4 sets of tubes including the famous 74 and 75 reflectors.the LISST cans were more snappy sounding but lacked the refinement or the tubes and were a bit grainy sounding.
My headphones were LCD-2 ,3f, Hifiman 560 and ZMF Omnis at the time. I sold the MJ2 after a few weeks (it was already broke in) and put my Burson back in. Mucho better to my ears.

sad to hear, really want just one amp. also looking to acquire the new Ether Flow and heard that it's excellent with MJ2, so if it's also a good pairing with LCD 4 then acquiring MJ2 and working my way up to owning both cans would make perfect sense ...

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #4,250 of 12,053
sad to hear, really want just one amp. also looking to acquire the new Ether Flow and heard that it's excellent with MJ2, so if it's also a good pairing with LCD 4 then acquiring MJ2 and working my way up to owning both cans would make perfect sense ...

I would think that the MJ2 would be a better match for the Flow (speed and brighter) than the LCD-4.
I would look into the new Burson Virtuoso CV2 remote controllable amp. I compared mine to the highly regarded Audio-GD Master 9 and I (along with the Master 9 owner) had a very hard time telling them apart. Both refined and dynamic sounding. Never congested sounding and all four of my headphones sound great with it (Audeze LCD-3f, LCD-4, Hifiman HE-1K and Sennheiser HD800S. A lot of bang for the buck and built like a tank.

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #4,251 of 12,053

Give it a try first maybe.

Some people enjoy the Mjolnir 2 a lot, and then there are Burson fanboys 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #4,252 of 12,053
I can't as there are no Schiit gear to try where I live, and the only LCD 4 demo in the entire city is the 100 Ohms one. This is what's holding me back from acquiring MJ2 OR the LCD 4, and is what's compelling me to stick with iems or start with something cheaper and is available for demo if I am to try cans.

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #4,253 of 12,053
  Will the Mjolnir 2 do well with the new LCD 4 200 ohms? Ragnarok is out of my budget and I don't need to drive speakers and I like the versatility, look, form factor and price point of Mjolnir 2 better. Schiit's site lists the Mjolnir 2's maximum power to be 850mW RMS per channel for 300 ohms so I guess with the LCD 4 it will be slightly just 1W per channel, meaning a total of 7W less than the WA5-LE? Is that going to drive the LCD 4 at all? 

I don't have direct experience with the Mjolnir 2 combined with the LCD-4, but I would think that you'd be fine from a power-perspective.  I could try running them off my original Lyr, which has less power, tomorrow and see if you like (might not be a good signature match with the tubes I have it, but otherwise should be reasonably indicative).

While I tend to find I like the sense of ease, and massive dynamic reserves, that very (unnecessarily) powerful headphone amplifiers seem to bring to my listening, I don't think it's strictly necessary and once you're around 1W of power, most things have more juice than they'll ever need.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #4,255 of 12,053
I can't as there are no Schiit gear to try where I live, and the only LCD 4 demo in the entire city is the 100 Ohms one. This is what's holding me back from acquiring MJ2 OR the LCD 4, and is what's compelling me to stick with iems or start with something cheaper and is available for demo if I am to try cans.

Weren't the 100 ohm versions recalled?  Your dealer should really send them back to be swapped over.

I think it would be fairly safe to demo them though - they would have to be quite similar to the 200 ohm - I don't think you'd notice much difference from when you audition the 100 to when you receive your 200...

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #4,256 of 12,053
  The Ether Flow has just been announced, wonder if they can rival LCD 4 because they are a much more affordable (comparatively) option and is more comfortable.

To be honest I am wishing it will and maybe than it will open other brands again eyes because headphones/ciem/iem world of top models unfortunately changed on cool never ending growing prices...but it is still only headphones with limits on many sides. But I know hand work is not easy, everyone wants to have a good etc. but top model should be perfect in every way mainly in sound and I guess it is still not for what it is ask. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #4,257 of 12,053
Just got my LCD-4's in last night. Initially I am very satisfied and impressed. I plan to write a long thorough review after a few weeks of using them. My exact preference for TOTL headphones are the 4's. Very warm, very "non fatiguing". Love the Audeze planar bass too and the vocals pull me in like I am playing tug of war against Arnold Schwarzenegger. I like "exciting" and V shaped cans too, but those get old quick, those aren't headphones you use daily for months or years and not get tired of. These are my end game daily drivers for pure laid back enjoyment (I hope).

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #4,258 of 12,053

As I mentioned earlier, I find the newer iteration of the LCD4 to be an improvement (actually a significant one) over the original. There is more presence, and every frequency or sonic flavor of each musical object seems to be done with no artificial exaggeration.
Nothing is buried in the bass for instance, and the highs do not toss sonic darts at my ears. For me, these headphones have the best portrayal of the highs I ever heard, walking the line just right, full of detail without any searing pain or unnatural sharpness.
If you heard the original version and enjoy it, I will take the leap of faith that the new version will not cause you regret in any way. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #4,259 of 12,053
  As I mentioned earlier, I find the newer iteration of the LCD4 to be an improvement (actually a significant one) over the original. There is more presence, and every frequency or sonic flavor of each musical object seems to be done with no artificial exaggeration.
Nothing is buried in the bass for instance, and the highs do not toss sonic darts at my ears. For me, these headphones have the best portrayal of the highs I ever heard, walking the line just right, full of detail without any searing pain or unnatural sharpness.
If you heard the original version and enjoy it, I will take the leap of faith that the new version will not cause you regret in any way. 

Agreed - the 200 ohm version is not a significant difference, and if anything it's an improvement.  I can't imagine you liking the 100 and not the 200.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #4,260 of 12,053
I concur after several days of use that the 200 ohm is an improvement. I was very concerned about this but 50+ hours of brake in and a lot of critical listening confirms the upgrade is clearly a nice improvement all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back