Audeze LCD-4
Jul 12, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,233 of 12,053
  How do you think the Woo Audio would do with the LCD4?

Wa5 might be ok, but I wasn't a very big fan with it and LCD-3 for example. Can't say it is a very fast amplifier, but it might sound decent with lcd-4. However I don't think it would be the ultimate match.

I assumed it would be WA5.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #4,234 of 12,053
  Exactly. Moon is not a very good option with LCD-4 in my opinion. The moon amp is not great when it comes to energy/visceral impact/tactility.  From what I read it wouldn't be a good match with Ragnarok either. It needs something fast and full of energy. I would love to hear it with GSX some day. M9 does a good job, but I think LCD-4 could do better in the energy department than with m9. Master 9 is awesome when it comes to transparency, though. 

Wa5 might be ok, but I wasn't a very big fan with it and LCD-3 for example. Can't say it is a very fast amplifier, but it might sound decent with lcd-4. However I don't think it would be the ultimate match.

I assumed it would be WA5.

I use both a Ragnarok and a WA5-LE with my LCD-4 and they're both excellent matches.

While the Ragnarok may not be the last word in refinement, it has more than enough punch and drive, and a lively enough sound, that it does a very nice job with the LCD-4.  For sure, there are better options, but I don't know of any at the same price point.  And it also has enough grunt to bring the dynamics of the LCD-4 up to where they should be ... something I find a bit lacking with lower powered amps.

With the WA5-LE it's such a simple design that it is hugely affected by the tubes you choose to use.  As I have mine configured, it's dynamic and fast, with excellent detail, a lush mid-range, and start/stop-on-a-dime transients.  Even the stock tubes, which are a long way from showing the amp at its best, do a decent job with the LCD-4.

And, from a power perspective, I don't know of another amp that can give the LCD-4 as much power as the WA5-LE.  While things like the Headtrip (which I don't care for at all) have a higher rating, what they can actually deliver into the 200 ohms of the LCD-4 is a long way short of the full 8 watts the Woo can stuff into 200 ohms.

Each to their own ... I'm just commenting because I live with those specific combinations on a daily basis.

Older picture; the WA5LE is now running Taks.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #4,235 of 12,053
If you have WA5 in high impedance (K1K) setting it will output ~8w at 110 ohm, that means it would be less at 200 ohm, still.. more than enough.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,237 of 12,053
I just received my LCD-4 back from Audeze (for the 200 ohm driver update). They need some brake in time before I can truly evaluate them. So far though they are sounding pretty good. My main concern is how they compare to the 100 ohm (I really liked the way they sounded).

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #4,238 of 12,053
  I just received my LCD-4 back from Audeze (for the 200 ohm driver update). They need some brake in time before I can truly evaluate them. So far though they are sounding pretty good. My main concern is how they compare to the 100 ohm (I really liked the way they sounded).

That is one NICE headphone stand you got there.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,239 of 12,053

tongue_smile.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #4,240 of 12,053

Look at all that chrome, it looks like it needs to be sat in a muscle car as a motor!

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,242 of 12,053
I got my LCD4 back too in the lastest version. I was nervous but the sound is awesome.
There is more presence, an even better, tighter bass, and sweet highs. There is no grain or strain. Really pleasing vocals with lots of substance, fullness, and size here, both male and female.
This is one spectacular phone and I write as I'm listening right now.
Yeah, Audeze has really hit its stride with the LCD4 as I hear it.

I use the Rudistor RP010B amp and it's great. (Hugo TT DAC.)
This amp gets little attention these days, but I swear by it (going on 6 years now). But there is a new version now I have not heard, so I can't comment about that one.
But for what it's worth, the Rudistor I am using is a great match for it (and my Grados and Sennheiser).
No tubes, no heat, just great sound. (No features either, but it makes up for it in sonics. I love the bass and the freedom from fatigue and glare.)
Newer version of mine:
http://www.rudistor.com/headphone-amplifiers/rp-030-quadmono

I wish someone would give it a try and report back...

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #4,243 of 12,053

I use both a Ragnarok and a WA5-LE with my LCD-4 and they're both excellent matches.

While the Ragnarok may not be the last word in refinement, it has more than enough punch and drive, and a lively enough sound, that it does a very nice job with the LCD-4.  For sure, there are better options, but I don't know of any at the same price point.  And it also has enough grunt to bring the dynamics of the LCD-4 up to where they should be ... something I find a bit lacking with lower powered amps.

With the WA5-LE it's such a simple design that it is hugely affected by the tubes you choose to use.  As I have mine configured, it's dynamic and fast, with excellent detail, a lush mid-range, and start/stop-on-a-dime transients.  Even the stock tubes, which are a long way from showing the amp at its best, do a decent job with the LCD-4.

And, from a power perspective, I don't know of another amp that can give the LCD-4 as much power as the WA5-LE.  While things like the Headtrip (which I don't care for at all) have a higher rating, what they can actually deliver into the 200 ohms of the LCD-4 is a long way short of the full 8 watts the Woo can stuff into 200 ohms.

Each to their own ... I'm just commenting because I live with those specific combinations on a daily basis.

Older picture; the WA5LE is now running Taks.

Will the Mjolnir 2 do well with the new LCD 4 200 ohms? Ragnarok is out of my budget and I don't need to drive speakers and I like the versatility, look, form factor and price point of Mjolnir 2 better. Schiit's site lists the Mjolnir 2's maximum power to be 850mW RMS per channel for 300 ohms so I guess with the LCD 4 it will be slightly just 1W per channel, meaning a total of 7W less than the WA5-LE? Is that going to drive the LCD 4 at all? 

This headphone stand weighs over 3.5 pounds! The chrome plating is thick and flawless. Yes, it looks like an old American car bumper. Pictures don't do it justice. The perfect match for the LCD-4 for sure!

What is it called? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back