Audeze LCD-4
Jul 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #4,276 of 12,053

The headphones won't draw more current than they need for a given voltage, given their impedance at the composite frequency at any given moment, that's true.

The voltage is a "push" thing; the amp has a specific potential difference at a given attenuation setting for a given input signal level (based on it's gain).  That "drives" the headphone.  But that voltage, combined with the impedance of the headphone dictates the amount of current the headphones will draw (a "pull" thing).  If the amp can supply it, it's all good - if not, you get clipping (and potential damage to the transducer if you push it too far).

An amp with more power available than is required will simply not run into clipping even with protracted periods of high-output that demands lots of current.  A less powerful amplifier might be up against the wall in terms of ability to service the current demand, and will have less dynamic headroom, so those big power excursions won't be tolerated as well.

I gave the LCD-4 a run with my Lyr this morning.  I didn't feel they were hurting for power.  Imagine the Mjolnir 2 will do an even better job and probably has more reserve power capacity (beyond simply being rated higher) anyway.

Hope that helps!

here's the thing... amps have output impedance as well as the headphones having their impedance.  with current flow this output impedance drops the output voltage of the amp in direct proportion to the current being delivered.  can the amp recover that voltage drop via feedback? how quickly can it recover?

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #4,277 of 12,053
I've recently moved to a new apartment and since I've moved, I had some problems enjoying LCD-4 to the same level as in my old apartment. After a few months, I realised it was a problem of power distribution in the audio system.

Master 9 is an incredibly clean sounding amplifier, but only if you give it good power. It seems it is quite dependent on this.

Now I simply cannot take them off. Damn it. The transparency and realism these capable are capable of are just incredible. Damn....this is going to affect my sleep times again.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #4,278 of 12,053
You're really working hard at this...

The web site is clear - they offer a 30 day return policy with the buyer paying for insured return shipping.  If you have specific information where this isn't accurate, feel free to post it.

So will we actually be getting other customers returns if we buy a new LCD 4 from them ??? How can we tell if it's something they truly makeep new from the ground up for every new customer?? And what do they do with the LCD 4s which have been returned??

Not hating but wondering about their 30 day return policy :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #4,279 of 12,053
So will we actually be getting other customers returns if we buy a new LCD 4 from them ??? How can we tell if it's something they truly makeep new from the ground up for every new customer?? And what do they do with the LCD 4s which have been returned??

Not hating but wondering about their 30 day return policy
smily_headphones1.gif

I seriously doubt Audeze is recycling returns to new buyers.  If you're worried about it, give Audeze a call and ask.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,280 of 12,053
Yeah been thinking about purchasing these exquisite looking cans for some time now. Wonder how they sound against my HD800..... 

Also, i would really wanna use these as i commute to and fro from work. I really don't care if i get stupid looks but i do spend more time at work than home. 

On a side note, how's the finish from fellow LCD 4 owners out here? Any blemishes or scratches on the wood or chrome grills? And would you guys say this is easier to drive than my HD800? 

Cheers guys

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #4,281 of 12,053
Yeah been thinking about purchasing these exquisite looking cans for some time now. Wonder how they sound against my HD800..... 

Also, i would really wanna use these as i commute to and fro from work. I really don't care if i get stupid looks but i do spend more time at work than home. 

On a side note, how's the finish from fellow LCD 4 owners out here? Any blemishes or scratches on the wood or chrome grills? And would you guys say this is easier to drive than my HD800? 
Cheers guys

Hey!

Only had the LCD4 for a few days now but to me right when you put them on you notice one thing versus the 800's. The audezes have more bass impact and quantity. The 800's sound brighter and more neutral while being very "accurate". The LCD4s have better instrument separation (to my ears) and still accurate in their own right while still having a laid back sound signature. HD800 are a serious business headphone with transparency in not only the music but the gear. The audezes seem just as transparent but more forgiving with the gear you use and sound a lot warmer and slightly less "serious" if that makes sense.

The LCD4s should be able to power just fine using equipment that can power the 800's. Very warm and lush headphone compared to a slightly more cold and neutral sounding 800.

Finish from the factory is perfect and beautiful as expected but the headband doesn't hold the cups separated at all times so I could see the wood getting scratched if not really careful. But chrome should stay perfect forever.

I'll post better comparisons in my upcoming full length review!

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #4,282 of 12,053
How i wish i had them right now and then!!!! 

Well, the first time i heard them was in a shop and just listening via FLAC tunes from my phone connected to the store's HUGO. I wasn't wowed then. Like how i remembered when i first listened to the HD800S. The only thing that kinda "wowed" me was the HEK for the first time. It was airy and detailed but not edgy like the HD800. Going back to the LCD4s, i kinda got the impression of a full bodied wine. Robust and full of flavour and some character ...... It was my first listen to any LCDs mind you, and i was rushing so i would definitely have another listen to the 4s again! 

Anyways, thanks Dillan and i'll be looking forward to your upcoming impressions! A 4k pair of exquisitely made cans just warrants a few detailed audtions!

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #4,283 of 12,053

is this serious or is this a joke?....would anybody even seriously conceive of wearing LCD-4's while commuting lol?seriously?

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #4,284 of 12,053

Cheers guys

Assuming you commute via public trans, wearing open headphones is a big imposition on others. Everyone will be listening to your music.

I'd strongly consider closed cans or IEMs for commuting.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #4,285 of 12,053
not only are open cans obnoxious to others......the LCD-4's require too much power for traveling listening and are insanely heavy...4K for an HD that you take with you on the bus...too funny

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #4,287 of 12,053

Cheers guys

Go easy  . . . this is a man who loves his music !

EDIT:  HD 800 easier to drive, finish is perfect but not suited for rough treatment, such as on mass transit !

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #4,288 of 12,053
The friendly lad on here with the long beard mentioned using his HE1000 to shop for groceries.

If you don't mind the risk of damaging them, getting them ripped off your head when you least expect it, hearing car, bus and train engines when you listen to music.. Then you're cool. I personally wouldn't do it. There's loads of options for closed back and iem's for that purpose. My 846's are one of the best purchases I ever made for that reason.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #4,289 of 12,053
Awww shucks.... Here I was thinking that I wouldn't mind being a walking billboard for Audeze for maybe a special cash rebate on the 4s. Guess in spending that somewhere else then ...

Cheers guys :wink:

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #4,290 of 12,053
  I've recently moved to a new apartment and since I've moved, I had some problems enjoying LCD-4 to the same level as in my old apartment. After a few months, I realised it was a problem of power distribution in the audio system.

Master 9 is an incredibly clean sounding amplifier, but only if you give it good power. It seems it is quite dependent on this.

Now I simply cannot take them off. Damn it. The transparency and realism these capable are capable of are just incredible. Damn....this is going to affect my sleep times again.

I agree Dan the M9 is really good if you feed it with pure power and from a good source. The purer the power and the better the source the better the SQ. That you use the M9 with an upgraded MSB Analogue that cost many times the M9 should say something about how much it can scale with other good gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back