Audeze LCD-4
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,396 of 12,053
@potkettleblack
 Thanks for pointing it our PotKettleBlack. Yes looking back at it, most of our posts seem very defensive. We will take a more positive approach hereafter. Many times we have sent private messages to customers to sort out their problems, but as you have noted, there is a better way to doing this.

With the year you have had and extra focus here, would seem like you are constantly on the back foot.
(Audious-Horrablous.)

An excellent response to a genuine concern.
I still think Audeze and other company's haven't tapped the huge resource available here. That beyond proprietary secrets, community collaboration with issues, ideas making the products of the future. We are designers, engineers,sales,technicians, scientists,managers, logistics advertisers, workers...which a passion for audio who if ask would probably would. Collaboration, engagement, a community, not just a review site.

A free professional work force, with hundreds of years of experience.

Enough blue sky soapboxing .
Do members agree or stay as we are ?.
Jude and Admin's leveraging headfi for a common good?
Not a revolution just letting this great site give a bit back...to say thank you..

Kind regards
Dave

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,398 of 12,053

That was cool video, thanks for sharing.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,401 of 12,053
^^^ Great photos!!!

Just got the LCD-4s in this afternoon. Had them delivered to me at work and I did the unboxing there, but sadly I couldn't listen to them until I got home and got a some time to steal away (basically now). First off, right out of the box, these are likely the most beautiful headphones I've seen/held. The wood ear cups are outstanding and the quality and workmanship exudes luxury!

The new headphone cable is a great step up over the previous offerings and competes with many aftermarket cables that we often buy for several hundreds of dollars extra. Throw in the new carbon-fibre headband and wow! Congratulations to Audeze for making such wonderful product!

Now on to the sound...classic Audeze! Brilliant and powerful bass, luxurious mids and extended (and never strident treble). I'm only about 2 albums in to things so far and the refinements over the LCD-X and 3 (don't want to really compare these top the -XC as I'm not a fan of comparing open to closed headphones) are really noticeable! The sound staging has also taken a very nice bump up in improvements. I'm using my main rig: DSD or 192kps music --> Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2 in balanced mode (and I'm using my balanced Q Cable with the LCD-4s). More to come...but reviewing these babies is certainly going to be fun! 
L3000.gif
 <-- Me

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,402 of 12,053
  ^^^ Great photos!!!

Just got the LCD-4s in this afternoon. Had them delivered to me at work and I did the unboxing there, but sadly I couldn't listen to them until I got home and got a some time to steal away (basically now). First off, right out of the box, these are likely the most beautiful headphones I've seen/held. The wood ear cups are outstanding and the quality and workmanship exudes luxury!

The new headphone cable is a great step up over the previous offerings and competes with many aftermarket cables that we often buy for several hundreds of dollars extra. Throw in the new carbon-fibre headband and wow! Congratulations to Audeze for making such wonderful product!

Now on to the sound...classic Audeze! Brilliant and powerful bass, luxurious mids and extended (and never strident treble). I'm only about 2 albums in to things so far and the refinements over the LCD-X and 3 (don't want to really compare these top the -XC as I'm not a fan of comparing open to closed headphones) are really noticeable! The sound staging has also taken a very nice bump up in improvements. I'm using my main rig: DSD or 192kps music --> Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2 in balanced mode (and I'm using my balanced Q Cable with the LCD-4s). More to come...but reviewing these babies is certainly going to be fun! 
L3000.gif
 <-- Me

Are these your personal pair or a review unit from Audeze? Please comment on the comfort in your review as well :) And compare to other TOTL headphones. Do the colour of the premium cables run in contract or complement with the headphones? Is the presentation of the headphones, other than build quality which is expected to be top notch, that which you expect from a premium product of this price range? Thank you!

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,403 of 12,053
Can somebody thumbs up my last (two line) reply to Audeze, please?

It's already starting to make me cringe looking back at it, and I think some good ol' headfi reputation could alleviate this. 

Ye that was some typically reactionary butt smooching which you often will see from worked up loud mouths, as soon as a representative, from the very company being skewered, shows up with a well placed classy post.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,404 of 12,053

Icebear,
The frequency response graph is from a Neuman KU100 head measured at ERP (Ear reference point). There are several ways to measure headphones and other measurements system use DRP (drum reference point) or EEP. These graphs will look different. For an ERP measurement, the LCD4 is pretty much close to ideal. It should have a slow roll-off. Tyll from Innerfidelity has explanation on how to interpret these graphs. There is nothing wrong with these measurements.

I often browse videos on youtube and see the channel owners reply to comments made by viewers. More often than not it is in response to the negative comments and rarely the positive ones. Sometimes even innocuous questions get ignored completely, because the channel owner is too fixated on proving somebody wrong, or lashing out because they have said something negative.

I've followed this thread (and other Audeze threads) for a while now, and 9/10 times this is the type of response I see. Rare posts that are often made simply to prove somebody wrong - very few have contained reassurance or positivity. 

I had an issue with an LCD 3 recently, and instead of help I got a response from (I assume yourself) that sounded more like an argument than guidance.

Just a quick private message would have made the world of difference.

If you are happy to jump on comments from users that have no intention of purchasing Audeze products - it might be wise to channel the same amount of attention to those that care about the company and have genuine concerns and queries. Because (to me, at least) you are being perceived as somebody that has the social skills of a hornet.

Regards,

Lee.

It goes without saying for every member. Focus on the good stuff. Why quote and respond to posts that aren't constructive?

Choosing the best response to negative comments requires considerable care by a company. There are many more bad choices than good. I think Audeze's response was a good one in this case, because people don't understand that measurements aren't an arbiter of truth, but only a guide with many caveats.  

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,405 of 12,053

Are these your personal pair or a review unit from Audeze? Please comment on the comfort in your review as well :) And compare to other TOTL headphones. Do the colour of the premium cables run in contract or complement with the headphones? Is the presentation of the headphones, other than build quality which is expected to be top notch, that which you expect from a premium product of this price range? Thank you!

Comfort wise they are a bit better than say the LCD-X or -XC that I have on hand and I chalk that up to the new headband. Totally what I would expect from a TOTL pair of headphones in this price range in terms of presentation and build quality; including the materials used (and I own the HE1000s, SR-009s, HD800s among others). In fact, the LCD-4s are ahead here IMO. I don't want to comment too much about he sound as I'm starting to get to know them.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,406 of 12,053
  ^^^ Great photos!!!

L3000.gif
 <-- Me

Thanks. When I am not wearing them, I am staring at them. Every time I go from the LCD-3Fs to LCD-4, I feel a veil just lifted (forgive me I am not articulate like many others here). I am not say LCD3s are veiled, but LCD4 seems to be an improvement across the board.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,407 of 12,053

It goes without saying for every member. Focus on the good stuff. Why quote and respond to posts that aren't constructive?

Choosing the best response to negative comments requires considerable care by a company. There are many more bad choices than good. I think Audeze's response was a good one in this case, because people don't understand that measurements aren't an arbiter of truth, but only a guide with many caveats.  

Negativity gets us nowhere, and responding to that negativity makes matters even worse. Well done for highlighting this in "The Best of Head-Fi" thread.
smile.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,408 of 12,053

That is tongue in cheek, isn't it ?
Or you are just looking at 1.5k and below? Which is impressive indeed.
But from 1.5k to 3k a dip of about -14dB and then up again by a good +10dB at around 11k? And then asking $4k for this performance?
OK music preferences and how it should sound are different. Audeze phones are way too heavy for me to wear longer than 5 min. so not really a concern for me.
Enjoy
beerchug.gif

Agree on the weight, but the dip is merely due to the compensation curve being different from what Audeze consider as flat.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,409 of 12,053
  Agree on the weight, but the dip is merely due to the compensation curve being different from what Audeze consider as flat.

True. There is something to be said about the consistency though. This is all four measurements posted on this thread of the LCD4 so far. http://imgur.com/a/2CyTp

While they are much more, far more similar and matched than different, given these are on the same measurement system, for the same headphones line, we can compare them, yes? The 3KHz-10KHz region have subtle differences that could be noticeable to the ear.

EDIT: I stand corrected regarding higher frequency measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/expert-tests-innerfidelitys-headphone-measurement-repeatability-and-reproducibility#aPgTxEUSpoAh16c9.97

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,410 of 12,053
@RandomForest How do you like the Macassar Ebony? Are you not in the states so you have no options but to receive one made with this wood (since Audeze mentioned there are some export restrictions for Cocobolo) so overseas customers will only receive models in Macassar Ebony. The lack of red makes it looks more somber and akin to to the previous LCDs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back