Audeze LCD-4
Nov 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,411 of 12,022
  .... I think Audeze's response was a good one in this case, because people don't understand that measurements aren't an arbiter of truth, but only a guide with many caveats.  

Exactly! Measuring higher frequencies (above 3400Hz) becomes very problematic to do reproducibly as even the slightest repositioning on the dummy head has huge ramifications on the measurements in this FR region (even when averaging out 5 separate positions/locations on the dummy head). I did some work with Tyll a few years back and categorized just how much this variation is...and it can be quite significant. So while the lower octaves are quite repeatable and reproducible, not so much the higher you go. I use measurements only to parlay part of the picture...and I still have to rely on my ears for the rest.

In case anyone is interested:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/expert-tests-innerfidelitys-headphone-measurement-repeatability-and-reproducibility#aPgTxEUSpoAh16c9.97

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,412 of 12,022
Just reconfirmed with Audeze that the new headbands will be offered standalone started Dec 1st. Likely they are reserving all production until then for the LCD-4 backlog.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,413 of 12,022
  @RandomForest How do you like the Macassar Ebony? Are you not in the states so you have no options but to receive one made with this wood (since Audeze mentioned there are some export restrictions for Cocobolo) so overseas customers will only receive models in Macassar Ebony. The lack of red makes it looks more somber and akin to to the previous LCDs.  

I love the Mcassar Ebony, the grains are almost 3 dimensional (It could be due to the finish). I am in US  but did not choose Cocobolo as I am not a fan of red or purplish look. Macassar is way darker with a tinge of red while  the Zebrano on my LCD3 is much lighter.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,414 of 12,022
^^^ Great photos!!!

Just got the LCD-4s in this afternoon. Had them delivered to me at work and I did the unboxing there, but sadly I couldn't listen to them until I got home and got a some time to steal away (basically now). First off, right out of the box, these are likely the most beautiful headphones I've seen/held. The wood ear cups are outstanding and the quality and workmanship exudes luxury!

The new headphone cable is a great step up over the previous offerings and competes with many aftermarket cables that we often buy for several hundreds of dollars extra. Throw in the new carbon-fibre headband and wow! Congratulations to Audeze for making such wonderful product!

Now on to the sound...classic Audeze! Brilliant and powerful bass, luxurious mids and extended (and never strident treble). I'm only about 2 albums in to things so far and the refinements over the LCD-X and 3 (don't want to really compare these top the -XC as I'm not a fan of comparing open to closed headphones) are really noticeable! The sound staging has also taken a very nice bump up in improvements. I'm using my main rig: DSD or 192kps music --> Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2 in balanced mode (and I'm using my balanced Q Cable with the LCD-4s). More to come...but reviewing these babies is certainly going to be fun! 
L3000.gif
 <-- Me

DAMN you, Peter!!!! lol

Must...resist...for the sake of my wallet!!!

Seriously, though, congrats man...those are BEAUTIFUL headphones...wow!

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,415 of 12,022
  ^^^ Great photos!!!

Just got the LCD-4s in this afternoon. Had them delivered to me at work and I did the unboxing there, but sadly I couldn't listen to them until I got home and got a some time to steal away (basically now). First off, right out of the box, these are likely the most beautiful headphones I've seen/held. The wood ear cups are outstanding and the quality and workmanship exudes luxury!

The new headphone cable is a great step up over the previous offerings and competes with many aftermarket cables that we often buy for several hundreds of dollars extra. Throw in the new carbon-fibre headband and wow! Congratulations to Audeze for making such wonderful product!

Now on to the sound...classic Audeze! Brilliant and powerful bass, luxurious mids and extended (and never strident treble). I'm only about 2 albums in to things so far and the refinements over the LCD-X and 3 (don't want to really compare these top the -XC as I'm not a fan of comparing open to closed headphones) are really noticeable! The sound staging has also taken a very nice bump up in improvements. I'm using my main rig: DSD or 192kps music --> Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2 in balanced mode (and I'm using my balanced Q Cable with the LCD-4s). More to come...but reviewing these babies is certainly going to be fun! 
L3000.gif
 <-- Me

Are the chrome grills with the Audeze logo a fingerprint magnet? In Tyll's video it looked very smudgy indeed XP 

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,417 of 12,022
Quote:
  Are the chrome grills with the Audeze logo a fingerprint magnet? In Tyll's video it looked very smudgy indeed XP 

The finger prints are visible if you look closely, but not from a feet away, the chrome has enough glare to hide the finger prints.

Now back to  enjoying the detail and soundstage, listening to 2L Noradic Ref. Recording...

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,419 of 12,022
It goes without saying for every member. Focus on the good stuff. Why quote and respond to posts that aren't constructive?

Choosing the best response to negative comments requires considerable care by a company. There are many more bad choices than good. I think Audeze's response was a good one in this case, because people don't understand that measurements aren't an arbiter of truth, but only a guide with many caveats.  
Take me to the next CanJam, Currawong, or lose me forever.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,421 of 12,022
The ebony wood looks way better than I imagined.

Agreed...so far each of the woods I've seen have looked fantastic. Definitely a pride of ownership factor.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,424 of 12,022
  Really enjoying the LCD-4 over the last week! Anyone try them with different amps and getting different performance?

I very much look forward to hearing that too. I have a very humble rig: Foobar(DSD or Flac > 96 KHz) -> Oppo HA-1 (DAC) -> Oppo HA-1 (Amp) -> Audeze premium balanced cable -> LCD4
Ha-1 with my LCD3s worked very well for me till now, the Ha-1 is a swiss army knife when it comes to connectivity options and not a slouch on the sonic department either.

I am looking to move up, have The King on order and likely add Yiggy upstream next year. I hope that will be summit-fi for me. I am borrowing  a He-1K from a friend next week, I want to hear LCD4 and He-1K,  before I make a decision. The 30 day return makes this less stressful on my wallet. I have always liked the Audeze sound, nice bass extension, controlled and punchy, buttery smooth and life like mids (some vocals give me goose bumps on the 4s), not bright, good details. LCD4 adds a bit more sparkle up top that I was missing previously. I would love to hear some He-1K comparisons and what rigs brings out the best on the 4s.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,425 of 12,022

I very much look forward to hearing that too. I have a very humble rig: Foobar(DSD or Flac > 96 KHz) -> Oppo HA-1 (DAC) -> Oppo HA-1 (Amp) -> Audeze premium balanced cable -> LCD4
Ha-1 with my LCD3s worked very well for me till now, the Ha-1 is a swiss army knife when it comes to connectivity options and not a slouch on the sonic department either.

I am looking to move up, have The King on order and likely add Yiggy upstream next year. I hope that will be summit-fi for me. I am borrowing  a He-1K from a friend next week, I want to hear LCD4 and He-1K,  before I make a decision. The 30 day return makes this less stressful on my wallet. I have always liked the Audeze sound, nice bass extension, controlled and punchy, buttery smooth and life like mids (some vocals give me goose bumps on the 4s), not bright, good details. LCD4 adds a bit more sparkle up top that I was missing previously. I would love to hear some He-1K comparisons and what rigs brings out the best on the 4s.

I also have the HE-1K and find the LCD-4 more pleasing. The HE!K is certainly very detailed but the LCD4 has a fuller sound. Comparing the two back and forth, I much prefer the LCD4 with Hi-Res files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back