Audeze LCD-4
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #10,636 of 11,995
That would be interesting. I had them on my X and loved them.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #10,637 of 11,995
Presumably, this type of high power SS amp only benefits ridiculous planars like the LCD-4, HE-6, and Susvara. Right? I can't imagine it'd make a difference for an HD800S, LCD-3, or even like a Diana TC.
Pretty much, of course there are speakers to be driven too. The Rag 1 & 2 seem to really drive 4-50 ohm loads.

The Rag1 puts out 3x the power into the HD-600 than the BHC, yet the BHC makes them sound much better. Subjective judgement. Nobody I know that's heard that combo disagrees.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #10,638 of 11,995
Must say, the «new» pads made me love the lcd4 Even more. It just made them like i wanted, more crisp and clear.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #10,639 of 11,995
Greetings to all people.

@Roybenz : I assume you have used only one unit of adhesive ring on each channel and kept the felt ring, correct? I have the new pads too and the sound is even better than ever, sure. And I have the perforated headband like 4Z, more confy.

@planar shill : I used to put the "vegan" in summer (not this year), cooler and confy but the sound change with more punch. I like the new leather pads a lot.

Sep 2, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #10,640 of 11,995
Greetings to all people.

@Roybenz : I assume you have used only one unit of adhesive ring on each channel and kept the felt ring, correct? I have the new pads too and the sound is even better than ever, sure. And I have the perforated headband like 4Z, more confy.

@planar shill : I used to put the "vegan" in summer (not this year), cooler and confy but the sound change with more punch. I like the new leather pads a lot.
You have the older microsuede vegan pads too? I have a few pairs of them that are pretty heavily used and I have never tried them on the LCD-4.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #10,641 of 11,995
I've been toying with the idea of attaching the even older style vegan pads to my LCD-4.
I like the older vegan pads on my HE6, but not on my LCD3. It reduced high mids and treble energy too much IMO.

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #10,644 of 11,995
Yes I have the older, original and "black" vegan pads for LCD-4 (came with LCD-3 LF), and I have an unused Dekony micro suede.
Make sure you salvage that foam ring spacer. It's the key to driver reliability.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #10,645 of 11,995
Well, my order for an LCD-4 is "awaiting fulfillment."

And I am too.

*sigh*

I am too...

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #10,646 of 11,995
Well, my order for an LCD-4 is "awaiting fulfillment."

And I am too.

*sigh*

I am too...
Where did you find a set to buy... I tried to get a " B " stock LCD-4 as they don't make them anymore and put in an order via a Ebay dealer that I confirmed was real and they charged me the money and I asked when they would ship out and they called me on the phone and said they did not have any in stock but sometimes they get a pair in and they didn't know if they were going to get a set or not... but took the money anyway.. so I asked for a refund and got the refund.... not saying the seller is bad its just that the ebay listing showed stock and obviously they didn't have any stock at all... kinda was a bummer because on the phone they knew what had happen'd and offered me a further discount and no taxes/free shipping if I kept the order in place... just didn't feel like waiting... anyway best of luck

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #10,647 of 11,995
Where did you find a set to buy... I tried to get a " B " stock LCD-4 as they don't make them anymore and put in an order via a Ebay dealer that I confirmed was real and they charged me the money and I asked when they would ship out and they called me on the phone and said they did not have any in stock but sometimes they get a pair in and they didn't know if they were going to get a set or not... but took the money anyway.. so I asked for a refund and got the refund.... not saying the seller is bad its just that the ebay listing showed stock and obviously they didn't have any stock at all... kinda was a bummer because on the phone they knew what had happen'd and offered me a further discount and no taxes/free shipping if I kept the order in place... just didn't feel like waiting... anyway best of luck

These are the very pair I bought: https://tmraudio.com/personal-audio...-planar-magnetic-open-back-headphones-lcd4-1/

The Music Room is essentially a consignment shop for high-end preowned audio that inspects the gear and offers a warranty and a return window. Good company. I've bought from them before. I'm just being impatient. Their prices tend to be somewhat unpredictable and inconsistent, but that just means occasionally you find a great deal. Anyway, I hope you can find a 4 out there. If you don't mind used, there are a few in the classifieds right now that may be worth a look. Happy hunting.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #10,648 of 11,995
These are the very pair I bought: https://tmraudio.com/personal-audio...-planar-magnetic-open-back-headphones-lcd4-1/

The Music Room is essentially a consignment shop for high-end preowned audio that inspects the gear and offers a warranty and a return window. Good company. I've bought from them before. I'm just being impatient. Their prices tend to be somewhat unpredictable and inconsistent, but that just means occasionally you find a great deal. Anyway, I hope you can find a 4 out there. If you don't mind used, there are a few in the classifieds right now that may be worth a look. Happy hunting.
thanks for the link... I'll keep my eye out for a set... the one I thought I bought was a " B " stock with warrantee... enjoy your new purchase... they are great

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #10,649 of 11,995
I just posted my lcd4 for sale, comes with 4pin xlr silver cable. Dm if interested :)

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #10,650 of 11,995
Here‘s the story when one of my Audeze LCD 4 drivers failed.

( EDIT: read here how it ended:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-4.782442/post-17874836 )

To put the following into perspective:
I do own four pairs of Audeze headphones and do like their sound.

I contacted Audeze.
They offered a repair in the US for $1.200, but as I live in Germany, with shipping costs and custom’s fees adding up this would have ended close to $2.000.

Being an engineer having good skills and lot’s of experience repairing audio stuff, and the ‘phones out of warranty, I decided to repair DIY.
I opened the defective driver, found a ripped diaphragm.

Opening the driver and replacing this diaphragm is a fast and easy job if you know what to do.

It took me 20 min. for the whole process, really easy:
• Un-mounting the driver from the wood frame.
• Safely separating the two driver magnet plates using the “long bolts method”.
• Taking out the framed diaphragm part from in-between, and shooting some pictures as reference for a replacement order - the diaphragm frame is marked with date and DC resistance of 206 Ohm.
• Putting things together again for proper storage until spare comes in.

Next step I contacted Audeze again, for a replacement part.
They answered the don’t sell spares to individuals.

So I contacted the official distributer Thomann here in Germany.
After 2 weeks back and forth, sending pictures, serials and explanations again and again with no result, when I insisted on getting information, I finally was told Thomann is currently no distributer for Audeze products, although listed at Audeze’s page.

Now I contacted MEGA AUDIO, another official distributer.
People there are very helpful and took great care, really tried to get the sole spare diaphragm from Audeze, to solve what could have been a minor problem.
Great thanx for your efforts!

Going through the process again: I asked for the spare, they quoted from Audeze, MEGA AUDIO finally came up with the following:

Audeze refuses to deliver the fitting spare part.
Audeze insist in sending a complete pair of drivers instead of a single diaphragm.
The diaphragm alone is said “not being available”, which is strange as Audeze is manufacturing / mounting them in-house (there’s a little video on their site where you can see how easy mounting is).

Now one month later the process is not yet positively finished, but seems I will end up with:
• four figure replacement cost,
• trash a driver that would just have needed a simple spare,
• and a working driver left over I have no use for.

Please Audeze, you can do better than that - this is NOT environmentally sustainable, nor economically, and not what I’d call customer friendly.
So I am sorry to say, in my case I can not confirm Audeze’s claim: “help in the best way possible”, as you can read in Audeze’s Zendesk:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-driver-failures-There-are-reports-on-forums-
“... More importantly, we continue to dedicate a large percentage of our resources to providing unparalleled customer support, ... If you should have a problem with one of our products, we will be here to help you in the best way possible.

Just a final remark:

In Pro Audio, if a loudspeaker driver breaks, you replace the membrane/voice coil assembly, saving the valuable frame and magnets.
Repairing a loudspeaker driver is much more work than unscrewing an Audeze driver and plug in a new framed diaphragm.

Neither you do replace loudspeaker drivers in pairs.
Even for a Sennheiser HD 800S it was easy and cost-effective to order a single replacement driver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back