Audeze LCD-4
Aug 13, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #10,622 of 12,022
I can say that Burson Soloist 3x is nice with LCD-4. I had only short time with Pathos Aurium and the Four’s but it had potential (unfortunately I already decided to sell the amp because of other purchases). Ferrum Oor is great, it made LCD-4 alive. I‘ll probably buy Oor and Hypsos soon. I write probably because I’m also considering Enleum Amp-23R. I heard it once with the Audeze and it was far worse then Ferrum. I was listening it again a few days ago and it sounded completely different - there was something wrong with it the first time I heard it. Unfortunately this time around I didn’t had my LCD-4 with me but I think it would be at least as good as Ferrum (I had LCD-5 at both sessions and I know that they changed a lot).

Other great paring is my Cayin HA-300 (Mk1). With Holo May as a DAC the music is so lifelike. Also the instruments have more pronounced texture then on Oor and Enleum (I assume that after comparison of LCD-5 and Abyss 1266). Maybe the bass could hit a bit harder but I need to check other tubes. Anyway it still sounds wonderful. Big stage of Cayin helps LCD’s a lot. For me the Four’s are the most enjoyable headphones that I have (and look fantastic).

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #10,624 of 12,022
I loved it on the Woo WA5le. I miss that amp. 🥲

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #10,625 of 12,022
For less money I had a Burson Soloist that I liked. The Schiit Jotenheim has plenty of power and is versatile but V1 seemed a little flat to me. Not as spacious as some. Haven’t heard the V2 but supposedly better. Just a few to consider.
What exactly is it in the Ragnarok and Soloist that would make it sound more spacious than the Jotenheim? Is it another thing related to capacitance and power supply?
If it is over a thousand dollars, I feel like I should just spend a bit more and purchase a Folkvangr or some other crazy tube thing.
No need to bring yours, I have a pair! You can even try them on the Ragnarok 2 and an original Mjolnir. 😁
That would be awesome, and damn you like Schiit.
Presumably, this type of high power SS amp only benefits ridiculous planars like the LCD-4, HE-6, and Susvara. Right? I can't imagine it'd make a difference for an HD800S, LCD-3, or even like a Diana TC.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #10,626 of 12,022
The Jotenheim has plenty of power but I wasn’t crazy about the tuning. I like the Ragnarok 2 or even the Mjolnir better. But if you are looking for spaciousness then I would lean towards tubes. My HE6 is the only headphone I have that really needs high gain on the Ragnarok.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #10,628 of 12,022
I remove the cable after every use for storage, and am coming up on 5 years ownership. I have no issue with the sockets, they’re great.

How durable are the Mini-XLR sockets? I’ve got a few different cables (3.5mm, 4.4mm)- if I change them at the headphones every few days-weeks is that likely to be an issue?

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #10,629 of 12,022
Fwiw when i’ve owned zmf headphones (3 pin xlr connectors) and demoed audezes i have gotten into the habit of pushing up on the connections before pressing the button to then release cable in order to minimise any pressure. May not make a difference but just something I’ve always done

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #10,630 of 12,022
I have not listened to the LCD-4 for a few weeks....this morning I am really enjoying the heck out of it. :)
Listening to some Albert King.

I also prefer it with tubes, but SS is also very enjoyable with these cans. This headphone is tuned very well IMO.

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #10,631 of 12,022
How durable are the Mini-XLR sockets? I’ve got a few different cables (3.5mm, 4.4mm)- if I change them at the headphones every few days-weeks is that likely to be an issue?
Oh, I change cables song-to-song to get synergy between the music and the sound signatures of the cables.
Gotcha!

If you were to search "Audeze" and "failure" together in a search engine, I doubt out of all the QC issues over the years, the jacks would even register! I think they're the second best connector on the market (the first being the Hirose connector that DCA uses), and the best on the market if you factor in size.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #10,632 of 12,022
Only issues with Audeze connectors I have heard of is with the LCD5. I have owned every Audeze except the X and MM500 and never had any issues with connectors.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #10,633 of 12,022
Listening to ”Automatic for the People” (25th AE) with my LCD-4’s using Audeze’s linear filter, crossfeed and Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2. What a headphone (and what an album) - it sounds truly spectacular :gs1000smile:

Edit: First time posting in this thread and forget to give some background, sorry. I auditioned alot of TOTL before buying one of the last(?) made. I love, love, love it and IMHO it does everything right.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #10,634 of 12,022
My New pads came with an extra set of 3M adhesive/glue ring. Are they supposed to go on the earcup before attaching the pad? Wich also have the adhesive ring on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back