Audeze LCD-4
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #10,202 of 11,995
I'm still waiting on my LCD3 to arrive to pair it with. I would have thought the hybrid is the one with more energy given the descriptions.
I believe what the silver is doing in the hybrid is improving the mids by giving them a sense of separation and more intelligibility (basically lyrics are a little easier to understand while becoming a little more relaxed). The copper in it is adding the smoothing effect (I've had this similar experience with Zach from ZMF's 2K cable). Gorgeous cable but makes the sound too laid back imo.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #10,203 of 11,995
Is that a Norne cable on yours? I'm trying to decide on what upgrade cable I should get for it. I've been burned in the past with really expensive and exotic metals in the cable to make very little difference to the sound or worse sound worse than the stock cable. I'm personally looking for a cable that helps the bass quantity a bit and keeps the mids liquid.

Yes, it is a Norne silver and copper and I have a Draug 3 copper also.

Both sound great with LCD-4 and I really don't have a preference

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #10,204 of 11,995
On the leather suspension strap…..Can anyone tell me their impressions of the more recent leather perforated vs. the original non-perforated version?

Brad

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #10,205 of 11,995
Ok I guess not. LoL

Feb 12, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #10,207 of 11,995
Thanks for your reply. Which version do you feel is better?

Feb 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #10,208 of 11,995
I have the perforated one but I removed it and put on a ZMF pilot pad. Makes the weight manageable for me.

Feb 12, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #10,210 of 11,995
Ok thanks gentlemen.

Feb 12, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #10,211 of 11,995

Attachments

• 20211222_225519.jpg
    20211222_225519.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211222_224953_HDR.jpg
    20211222_224953_HDR.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #10,212 of 11,995
Great pics. Looks good, thank you. I purchased a replacement LCD-4 strap from Audeze but I misunderstood the rep and accepted to original version. I’m going to return it for an exchange to the latest perforated version.

I just purchased a used LCD-4 (2017 build) from a jerk on USAudiomart who misrepresented the condition…. when I received the phones the ebony rings were in pretty poor condition. So they’re now at Audeze repair getting new ebony rings (the rep at Audeze was shocked to find out their repair shop actually had a few pairs left), otherwise I would have been SOL. I pulled the earpads and was relieved to find out both drivers were in pristine physical condition with zero evidence of being overdriven. Audeze tests all drivers when phones are sent in for repair, and Illl be getting a current FR graph along with the graph they use as a reference for comparison. The new rings cost $500 which includes new pads. So now the whole shibang ends up costing $2600 which I suppose is kind of ok given the new rings, pads, and yoke assembly. I’m seeing used LCD-4s going for about $2500 or a little bit more currently and are a couple yrs old.

At any rate, I had a pair of LCD-3F (2014 build) which I sold one day after listening to the 4’s…. the difference was shocking, absolutely night and day, it was immediately obvious to my ears that the 4’s were vastly superior across the board. No contest. Before receiving the 4’s I had planned on also keeping the 3F’s, but the gap between the two was so wide I saw no reason at all to keep the 3F’s.

So with the other phones now gone, I really look forward to my “refreshed” LCD-4’s in another week or so (been at Audeze for 2 weeks so far). Then the love affair can grow.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #10,213 of 11,995
Great pics. Looks good, thank you. I purchased a replacement LCD-4 strap from Audeze but I misunderstood the rep and accepted to original version. I’m going to return it for an exchange to the latest perforated version.

I just purchased a used LCD-4 (2017 build) from a jerk on USAudiomart who misrepresented the condition…. when I received the phones the ebony rings were in pretty poor condition. So they’re now at Audeze repair getting new ebony rings (the rep at Audeze was shocked to find out their repair shop actually had a few pairs left), otherwise I would have been SOL. I pulled the earpads and was relieved to find out both drivers were in pristine physical condition with zero evidence of being overdriven. Audeze tests all drivers when phones are sent in for repair, and Illl be getting a current FR graph along with the graph they use as a reference for comparison. The new rings cost $500 which includes new pads. So now the whole shibang ends up costing $2600 which I suppose is kind of ok given the new rings, pads, and yoke assembly. I’m seeing used LCD-4s going for about $2500 or a little bit more currently and are a couple yrs old.

At any rate, I had a pair of LCD-3F (2014 build) which I sold one day after listening to the 4’s…. the difference was shocking, absolutely night and day, it was immediately obvious to my ears that the 4’s were vastly superior across the board. No contest. Before receiving the 4’s I had planned on also keeping the 3F’s, but the gap between the two was so wide I saw no reason at all to keep the 3F’s.

So with the other phones now gone, I really look forward to my “refreshed” LCD-4’s in another week or so (been at Audeze for 2 weeks so far). Then the love affair can grow.
Would have sold you mine for $2200 with both head bands and 2021 pads

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #10,214 of 11,995
You’re not happy with your 4’s anymore?

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #10,215 of 11,995

Sorry about your experience. Glad you got it worked out. I was looking at a pair on USAudiomart not too long ago, wondering if that was the one. There is risk in buying used gears but most people are decent.
Enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back