Audeze LCD-4
Feb 12, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #10,216 of 11,994
Thank you snapple. I am really excited about it. I spent a week reading this entire thread, plus all the reviews here and elsewhere. For the price [used of course, and these days by default], I think these are the answer. Weight doesn't bother me a single bit, I'm not a waify pencil-necked weakling, LOL In fact, I prefer the heft, the music goes along with it. I only spent about an hour on them before I boxed them up for a trip to Audeze. It was truly stunning. I can't believe how good these cans are. They have a presence about them that approaches my speakers, which I listen to about 90% of the time. The 3F's never demanded head time, and they were the first high end cans I ever purchased [used]. I don't like to buy brand new audio equipment, the cost is suffocating and there's no reason not to wait for the used market to form. Actually buying 50-60% of the original price is still really suffocating, LOL. I came across a 7 ft. Norne Silvergarde S3 cable, thse seem to be pretty hard to come by....got it also on USAudiomart from a great seller. I agree, there seem to be mostly good reliable people on there, I've had many great experiences in the past. It just this recent one I ran into a liar.

Anyway, as a new kid in town, I look forward to hanging here and sharing thoughts.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #10,217 of 11,994
You’re not happy with your 4’s anymore?
It might be it's my only cans in my stable right now and am so used to the sound maybe fatigue? I was thinking about a Utopia only because I hear they image better and of course faster with a higher treble. I love my lcd-4 for the liquid warm mid range and awesome texture bass I wish I could afford both but can't afford both

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #10,218 of 11,994
It might be it's my only cans in my stable right now and am so used to the sound maybe fatigue? I was thinking about a Utopia only because I hear they image better and of course faster with a higher treble. I love my lcd-4 for the liquid warm mid range and awesome texture bass I wish I could afford both but can't afford both

I see. Well that's perfectly understandable. I built a speaker system over the past 2 years that will be endgame stuff for me. I'm not a big fan of the buy-sell rollercoaster, though it was necessary to sift out a few components to finally reach my goals in terms of sound signature. I got away from solid state a couple years back and won;t be looking back; there's alot of fun with tube rolling/synergy in the preamp and the amp that changes the character of the sound, plus in my case I also have 3 different gain stages in the system and a tube-based EQ component [Decware ZRock2 which is outstanding] that gives a ton a variability and is a hobby unto itself.

This hobby is a maddening love affair, LOL

What's your system? How did you put it together?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #10,219 of 11,994
I see. Well that's perfectly understandable. I built a speaker system over the past 2 years that will be endgame stuff for me. I'm not a big fan of the buy-sell rollercoaster, though it was necessary to sift out a few components to finally reach my goals in terms of sound signature. I got away from solid state a couple years back and won;t be looking back; there's alot of fun with tube rolling/synergy in the preamp and the amp that changes the character of the sound, plus in my case I also have 3 different gain stages in the system and a tube-based EQ component [Decware ZRock2 which is outstanding] that gives a ton a variability and is a hobby unto itself.

This hobby is a maddening love affair, LOL

What's your system? How did you put it together?
Pontus 2 , Soloist Grand Tourer

Attachments

• 20211220_225225.jpg
    20211220_225225.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211220_225225~2.jpg
    20211220_225225~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #10,220 of 11,994
Normalization of a sound signature is definitely an issue. That's why I always try to keep two different cans on hand just so I can toss it up.

Doesn't have to be a really expensive one too. I usually contrast my LCD-4 with my HD800S just so I don't get too used to the sound.

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #10,221 of 11,994
Normalization of a sound signature is definitely an issue. That's why I always try to keep two different cans on hand just so I can toss it up.

Doesn't have to be a really expensive one too. I usually contrast my LCD-4 with my HD800S just so I don't get too used to the sound.
I think that's my issue was looking at focal Clear OG used instead of selling and just owning a Utopia

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #10,222 of 11,994
I think that's my issue was looking at focal Clear OG used instead of selling and just owning a Utopia
That's an amazing idea, I own a pair of OG Clears as well. They're excellent enough that they never left me wanting to upgrade to the Utopia.

I did however slap on some used Utopia pads that I bought for cheap. Slight comfort improvement and sort of alleviates the upper midrange peak that people attribute the metallic timbre to.

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #10,224 of 11,994
That's an amazing idea, I own a pair of OG Clears as well. They're excellent enough that they never left me wanting to upgrade to the Utopia.

I did however slap on some used Utopia pads that I bought for cheap. Slight comfort improvement and sort of alleviates the upper midrange peak that people attribute the metallic timbre to.
Btw if that's your VC closed its sexy as hell

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #10,225 of 11,994
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #10,227 of 11,994
Btw if that's your VC closed its sexy as hell
Yup it is, it really is stunning in proper lighting.

As for mid fi recs, I'm not sure what to recommend since I do not really know your sound preferences. I only seconded the Clears since you were already interested in them as a Utopia substitute.

I would recommend the HD800S as it has superior build quality and QC, but the sound is definitely not for everyone.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #10,228 of 11,994
I can’t get over how good these sound. They don’t punish on even modest equipment (stock cable + Bifrost 2 + Liquid Platinum with some NOS Brimars). They just get better as you scale. I really wish I had the money for an Odyssey SET but I have a custom amp builder building me a 6BX7 based amp. Should be fun! They have a more punchy sound so will compliment the bass on these nicely.

I know I complained about the bass slam on these before but the LP gives it just the right amount to make them enjoyable. It’s very possible I was underamping them with a 2W max HDV820.

A6FC4AD3-E0E3-4777-975F-C3B990D1163E.jpeg

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #10,229 of 11,994
I can’t get over how good these sound. They don’t punish on even modest equipment (stock cable + Bifrost 2 + Liquid Platinum with some NOS Brimars). They just get better as you scale. I really wish I had the money for an Odyssey SET but I have a custom amp builder building me a 6BX7 based amp. Should be fun! They have a more punchy sound so will compliment the bass on these nicely.

I know I complained about the bass slam on these before but the LP gives it just the right amount to make them enjoyable. It’s very possible I was underamping them with a 2W max HDV820.

A6FC4AD3-E0E3-4777-975F-C3B990D1163E.jpeg
Can we get a picture of your setup 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back