Audeze LCD-4
Sep 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #9,751 of 12,021
It's not like I don't understand you. I do. We have similar tastes. I just feel, Audeze has brought out 3 bangers in the past what, 2 months, and each catered to different types of crowds. I really think you missed the LCD-R train. :wink:

I'd consider it flagship status, tbh. It was a revelatory experience for me.
Yeah germany Was suffering some flooding during LCD-R release, that's why I had to miss out.

I will get a CRBN in the upcoming months though, as my first estat experience.

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #9,752 of 12,021
I'm curious how the LCD-5 compares to the CRBN in signature. I am leaning towards the CRBN as I would like a contrast to my Voce and the Stax 009 wasn't my cup of tea.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #9,753 of 12,021
So with these things... why is it that people expect the SAME bass, and midrange of an LCD-4, but with improved upper midrange/treble? This is scientifically impossible. You're gonna lessen immediate bass presence if you boost upper midrange/treble clarity. It doesn't matter if the bass and midrange linearity has not changed at all. If you boost upper range, the cost is that something else will not be as prominent. There may not be an actual change at all, but our ears will take it as LESS, because now something else (the upper midrange) is louder.

I read somewhere sometime ago that Henry Kloss made this observation. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #9,754 of 12,021
It's not like I don't understand you. I do. We have similar tastes. I just feel, Audeze has brought out 3 bangers in the past what, 2 months, and each catered to different types of crowds. I really think you missed the LCD-R train. :wink:

Maybe you can convince Audeze to release more than 67 of them :deadhorse:

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #9,755 of 12,021
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #9,756 of 12,021
With all this talk about the LCD 5, I spent more time with the LCD 4 the last few days. I really like that headphone, and will hold onto it because the tonality of the 5 seems to be very different. I would have liked the 5 to be the lighter and improved version of the 4. I can deal with the weight but it sure is heavy. The pilot pad helps with the comfort.

Maybe the 4z then? I need to go back and read the comparisons again. I think I remember most folks preferring the 4 for sound quality.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #9,757 of 12,021
With all this talk about the LCD 5, I spent more time with the LCD 4 the last few days. I really like that headphone, and will hold onto it because the tonality of the 5 seems to be very different. I would have liked the 5 to be the lighter and improved version of the 4. I can deal with the weight but it sure is heavy. The pilot pad helps with the comfort.

Maybe the 4z then? I need to go back and read the comparisons again. I think I remember most folks preferring the 4 for sound quality.
I initially had the LCD-4z and used it with a Hugo 2 and my WA33. I sold it. Then I got interested in the original LCD-4 and how it would sound out of my amp. So, I took the plunge. With my WA33, the OG 4 sounds better than the 4z. The trade off though is you can’t drive it off a Hugo 2 and it weighs more. Depending on your needs, you might prefer the 4z over the 4. Personally, my main setup just sounds better with the 4.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #9,758 of 12,021
I initially had the LCD-4z and used it with a Hugo 2 and my WA33. I sold it. Then I got interested in the original LCD-4 and how it would sound out of my amp. So, I took the plunge. With my WA33, the OG 4 sounds better than the 4z. The trade off though is you can’t drive it off a Hugo 2 and it weighs more. Depending on your needs, you might prefer the 4z over the 4. Personally, my main setup just sounds better with the 4.
Thx. It doesn't have to be easy to drive for me. The tradeoff would be weight vs sound only. I suspect I would choose sound over weight. And I also like the looks of the LCD 4 better than the 4z.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #9,759 of 12,021

Revelatory may be leaning too hyperbolic, however, aside from the SR1a, the LCD-R is an absolute force. I'd give props to the HEDDphone just as well.

No reason Audeze shouldn't move the LCD-R into mass production. A shame if they don't.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #9,760 of 12,021
Revelatory may be leaning too hyperbolic, however, aside from the SR1a, the LCD-R is an absolute force. I'd give props to the HEDDphone just as well.

No reason Audeze shouldn't move the LCD-R into mass production. A shame if they don't.
Hyperbolic? Revelatory was a personal impression of my experiece. I have heard many headphones, and the LCD-R really was a revelation for me. Mind you, I don't have the high-end experience you do. I've mainly stuck to sub-$1000 headphones.

I also work remotely, and don't have normal access to Audeze's high end staple. I heard the LCD-R simply because a friend of mine happened to order one. He owns an Arya as well.

The LCD-R was simply the nicest sounding headphone I have ever heard.

I really do wish they did, but there's the amplification issue, as well as supply issues on other parts.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #9,761 of 12,021
Hyperbolic? Revelatory was a personal impression of my experiece. I have heard many headphones, and the LCD-R really was a revelation for me. Mind you, I don't have the high-end experience you do. I've mainly stuck to sub-$1000 headphones.

I also work remotely, and don't have normal access to Audeze's high end staple. I heard the LCD-R simply because a friend of mine happened to order one. He owns an Arya as well.

The LCD-R was simply the nicest sounding headphone I have ever heard.

I really do wish they did, but there's the amplification issue, as well as supply issues on other parts.
Revelatory may be relative. :wink:

Sure. Supply chain issues are crippling, well, everyone.

Glad you got to experience the game changing LCD-R. I hope more get the experience.

It would shift the whole scope of the $2-4k headphone scene. I have an inkling now RAAL will steal that spotlight.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #9,762 of 12,021
I should state, I did have some headtime with the LCD-4, LCD-4Z, MX4, etc, when I visited Audeze HQ a few months ago, but it's hard to gauge when it's not your own source/music, so I didn't come away thinking one way or another, since state of mind, what you're using, and where you are matter. The LCD-R was immediately wowing, but it was off familiar settings and music.

I would love to re-tread those headphones on my own time and gear. Like how I'm more impressed with the LCD-X at home than when I tested it at HQ.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #9,764 of 12,021
Strangely I did too. It's overtaken my fav He1000se for some strange reasons. Listening to Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite Karajan Qobuz now and it's lovely.
I have spent much more time with my LCD-4 since I have retired....in the morning when my wife is at work.
Usually would use my close backs for early morning listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back