Audeze LCD-4
Jun 15, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #9,331 of 11,994
Did you get the Oblivion specifically internally tuned/powered for your LCD-4 ?

Ultrasonic Studios make Oblivion as a headphone amp, for both high and low impedance headphones. I have a impedance switch on mine. I also have optional speakers out but for speakers I prefer to use Destiny my 300b amp.

Oblivion is a hybrid amp and outputs 2.3 watts. Definitely sufficient for LCD4. Somehow I prefer my He1000se with Oblivion.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #9,332 of 11,994
@RCBinTN uses Bryson BHA-1 I believe and he has had this combo for awhile....maybe he can chime in ...I believe it to be a great combo.
Right ... my rig has been as shown below for several years now. No longer feeling the upgradeitis. The BHA-1 was just OK with the LCD-X, but with the LCD-4 at 200 ohms the amp has no trouble at all. The volume never even gets close to 9 o'clock ... plenty of umph. The rig is fully balanced and I use JRiver digital EQ with the preamp set at -9dB ... gives the BHA-1 more room to breathe.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #9,333 of 11,994
I’m really close in deciding my next headphone. Had the Final D8000 Pro, but it just lacked “something” special for me. I tried ordering the LCD4, no joy, the dealer said no more are being made apparently. But the LCD4z is really, really close sound quality wise. The only issue I have is the driver failure issues.

Is it really still a concern now ? Especially with the LCD4z ?

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #9,334 of 11,994
You can still order the 4 from Audeze website. Not sure if they ship to your location.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #9,335 of 11,994
I’ll check that out, thank you !

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #9,336 of 11,994
There will always be a few failures. I believe the LCD-4 to be very reliable. My LCD-4 was produced in May of 2016. I have used my pair almost everday 3/4 hours for all of those 5 years without issue.

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #9,337 of 11,994
Cheers, I’ll look into the LCD4z then, as it’s much easier to drive apparently.

Jun 16, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #9,338 of 11,994
There will always be a few failures. I believe the LCD-4 to be very reliable. My LCD-4 was produced in May of 2016. I have used my pair almost everday 3/4 hours for all of those 5 years without issue.

3 to 4 hours a day for 5 years! You are a walking testament for LCD4. Audeze need to give you a new one now. :)

Jun 16, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #9,339 of 11,994
I’m really close in deciding my next headphone. Had the Final D8000 Pro, but it just lacked “something” special for me. I tried ordering the LCD4, no joy, the dealer said no more are being made apparently. But the LCD4z is really, really close sound quality wise. The only issue I have is the driver failure issues.

Is it really still a concern now ? Especially with the LCD4z ?
I think the latest 4Z has had improvement to the FR/presentation recently....graphs are being released by Audeze.
The newer 4Z has those new earpads and a coppery metallic mesh behind the grills vs the older tuning.

Jun 16, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #9,340 of 11,994
I like the LCD4, but I struggle to love it. Such a great liquid tonality, with detail. But it's just a little too polite/laid back for my tastes. The problem with that for me is that I then turn it up too much, to try to bring them more forward, more to life-- which then hurts my ears (or it aggravates an old tympanic membrane fissure in my right ear). Also, I find with more volume the mid-range can become a bit 'shouty.' Anyone else experience this? Then there is the way they fit... Again, I really do like them-- they are outstanding in many ways--but my hearing idiosyncrasies find them challenging.
Solid state amps can have this effect and using the LCD4 on an amp which is very linear or neutral I feel causes this shouty effect at moderate to high volumes. I’ve found Class A amps to have the best of both worlds but not as liquid as tubes. Class A will have good bass and mids but generally some smoothing in the top registers which suits higher volume listening and especially electronic music that might be overly dynamic and therefore a bit shouty/bright. There are some peaks on the LCD4 that get exposed on some solid state amps. To get the best out of the LCD4 I firmly believe it has to be EQ’d. There are peaks around 8k and 16k and beyond that irritate me with some genres.

I think tonally some people would genuinely prefer the 4z as it has a faster and snappier presentation that isn’t as liquid and laid back in the mids. The LCD4 ultimately feels slightly more detailed than the 4z in my experience in terms of how much it can convey. If I could go back though I would of kept my 4z instead as they’re so easy to work with and drive where as I always feel there’s untapped potential running my LCD4 - what if I had this setup or that setup - too many what ifs to be honest. Powerful and refined amps can be expensive and have large footprints. I feel like it’s going to take me another 10 years to get to an amp which is equal to the LCD4 or even surpasses it’s relative qualities - feels like too much of a long term investment and wait personally.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #9,342 of 11,994
3 to 4 hours a day for 5 years! You are a walking testament for LCD4. Audeze need to give you a new one now. :)
I don't need a new LCD-4, I want an LCD-5. Where are you Audeze? :dt880smile:

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #9,343 of 11,994
I don't need a new LCD-4, I want an LCD-5. Where are you Audeze? :dt880smile:
Got to be coming, lighterweight and outpacing Abyss/Susvara on all fronts.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #9,344 of 11,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back