Audeze LCD-4
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #9,151 of 11,994
I have had or still have the TC, SR1A, Utopia, Z1R, Rad-0, HEDD, Voce', and others, the LCD-4 is still in my stable. They are just magical on the WA33. I have had them longer than any of my other headphones. No plans to sell. Others come and go, the wow factor is certainly there for the TC and SR1A, but I just love the LCD-4. Only way I would sell is if Audeze comes out with something new.
This speaks volumes for the LCD-4. I have not heard most of those others that you have, I had the LCD-3 Pre fazor and loved it.
Eventually upgraded to the LCD-4. Love the tone of this headphone....listening with tubes now and it produces blues/blues rock/classic rock so nice.

I feel the same. I tried Susvara, MySphere, Final D8000, Sennheiser HD800/800S, Empyrean, even mighty Sony MDR-R10, but LCD-4 are the only stable member in my collection, which I'm not willing let go anytime soon. Each headphones I just mentioned had its own strengths, but listening experience with the LCD-4 is simply unparalleled. But who knows, maybe LCD-5 will come out soon and I will change my mind, or Sennheiser will finally release successor to the HD800 and we all we be blown away by its performance :o2smile:
Those are all some fine headphones ....at this tier it is all about what suits ones preferences I guess.
I love that it is spectacular across the spectrum and never fatiguing.

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #9,153 of 11,994
I have been using the LCD-4 more frequently in recent days, due to the added comfort of the pilot pad. Now that the weather is improving I found myself being distracted by the glare coming off the chrome sides of the LCD-4, when I move my head while working behind my desk... Talk about first world problems, right? :)

Anyway, I think I found a pretty good 'solution' to this 'problem'. I purchased a carbon version of the grilles from a nice headfier. 'Problem' solved! :)

2021-04-13 12.51.11.jpg
2021-04-13 12.50.51.jpg

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #9,154 of 11,994
I have been using the LCD-4 more frequently in recent days, due to the added comfort of the pilot pad. Now that the weather is improving I found myself being distracted by the glare coming off the chrome sides of the LCD-4, when I move my head while working behind my desk... Talk about first world problems, right? :)

Anyway, I think I found a pretty good 'solution' to this 'problem'. I purchased a carbon version of the grilles from a nice headfier. 'Problem' solved! :)

Looks amazing!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #9,155 of 11,994
20210414_135352.jpg
20210414_182615.jpg

Decided I needed another TOTL open to pair with the Abyss. I'd heard an LCD-4 at a meet a while ago and it was the only other headphone that could stand up to the Abyss, so it was the obvious choice. I found a great deal on eBay on a new pair, made in late 2020, from a retailer that had just gone out of business. This one has "African Padauk" wood, which is something I haven't seen on an Audeze before.

The red, white and blue cables you see are from an eBay cable maker called "filipash4ever". I saw this color when casually browsing and thought it would be a neat combo with the American-made Audeze. The cables got to me only a few days after I ordered, and build quality is great. Lovely braided, flexible sleeves similar to what Norne does. I chose the OCC Pure Silver option.

Initial sonic impressions: These are a paragon of the house sound. Just perfection on vocals, which the Abyss isn't (at least my OG, we'll see about the TC). Superb bass, of course. Detailed but still natural, not hyper-analytical. Dynamic but not nuclear-Abyss dynamic. Great out of the super-transparent HPA4. With the WA5, they bring out the "tubey" quality of this amp moreso than other headphones. The Celeste videogame soundtrack, which I'm listening to now, has an amazing organic presentation with this stack that synergizes wonderfully with the intent of the music.

So far, I'm extremely happy. Years ago (pre-2016) I had bought an LCD-3 on a whim but sold it because it just sounded veiled to me, so this purchase of an LCD-4 was somewhat of a risk... if not an extreme risk, since I had heard these at a meet. But I have zero regrets. It's going to be a lot of fun figuring out exactly what I will prefer on the TC versus the LCD-4.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #9,156 of 11,994
That is exactly how I feel about the LCD4. It really balances out the TC. My go to music is any kind of rock or blues on the Audeze and EDM or pop on the TC. Of course it depends on my mood and sometimes just mix it up.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #9,157 of 11,994
20210414_135352.jpg 20210414_182615.jpg

Decided I needed another TOTL open to pair with the Abyss. I'd heard an LCD-4 at a meet a while ago and it was the only other headphone that could stand up to the Abyss, so it was the obvious choice. I found a great deal on eBay on a new pair, made in late 2020, from a retailer that had just gone out of business. This one has "African Padauk" wood, which is something I haven't seen on an Audeze before.

The red, white and blue cables you see are from an eBay cable maker called "filipash4ever". I saw this color when casually browsing and thought it would be a neat combo with the American-made Audeze. The cables got to me only a few days after I ordered, and build quality is great. Lovely braided, flexible sleeves similar to what Norne does. I chose the OCC Pure Silver option.

Initial sonic impressions: These are a paragon of the house sound. Just perfection on vocals, which the Abyss isn't (at least my OG, we'll see about the TC). Superb bass, of course. Detailed but still natural, not hyper-analytical. Dynamic but not nuclear-Abyss dynamic. Great out of the super-transparent HPA4. With the WA5, they bring out the "tubey" quality of this amp moreso than other headphones. The Celeste videogame soundtrack, which I'm listening to now, has an amazing organic presentation with this stack that synergizes wonderfully with the intent of the music.

So far, I'm extremely happy. Years ago (pre-2016) I had bought an LCD-3 on a whim but sold it because it just sounded veiled to me, so this purchase of an LCD-4 was somewhat of a risk... if not an extreme risk, since I had heard these at a meet. But I have zero regrets. It's going to be a lot of fun figuring out exactly what I will prefer on the TC versus the LCD-4.
Nice looking cups and as J Loud has mentioned blues/rock are fantastic through these headphones

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #9,158 of 11,994
20210414_135352.jpg 20210414_182615.jpg

Congrats! Glad to hear that you're digging the LCD-4. That cup looks great. Mine has Madagascar Ebony and it's dark brown so not as much of a contrast with the pads as yours has. Personally, I really like the retro-modern aesthetic of the LCD-4. It's certainly "classic" looking compared to the TC and the SR1a!

I agree that the LCD-4 is very complementary to the TC (and the SR1a, of course). Besides rock and blues, I also really like the LCD-4 for small ensemble jazz (think 50's~60's Miles Davis), vocal jazz (Diana Krall, Norah Jones, etc.), pop vocals, classical lieder/arias, classical chamber music that sounds better and more authentic with an intimate small auditorium or room vibe than a large cavernous hall. As you say, the LCD-4 really shines with vocals and especially with the female voice.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #9,159 of 11,994
I discover this HIGH END Munich 2021
(https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html)

There is a possibility (MAYBE) to show LCD5 or smiliar TOP END, or new reference will appear in this International Show HIFI.

In pandemic times, there have been no new models, only revisions in a few models(like LCDx, and focal even maintained almost the same sound signature), and the ones that came out were of low cost.
The lack of stock and delivery of material to final consumers is difficult. And don't forget that the world is poorer in terms of money.

I even think that the LCD4 will remain as old school, like as the HD800 is for the sennheiser, and look others brands.

I would say more, that they will invest more money in low/medium ranges to return the investment more quickly.

And by the way, if the new high-end LCD model arrives in the world, what can it bring new? Getting closer to the TC? and increase the price?

Some questions...to think, whoever wants to buy today, enjoy it, and be happy.
Because the next signature may be worse or better, only the future will tell you, one thing is certain, the level of materail quality will be worse.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #9,160 of 11,994

2021-04-13 12.51.11.jpg 2021-04-13 12.50.51.jpg
These look so cool. Does that person make custom ones, or was this a one off?

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #9,161 of 11,994
They do look pretty sweet. Probably a lot easier to keep finger prints off compared to the chrome grills.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #9,162 of 11,994
I have always thought the lcd-4 to be a beautiful HP and far more comfortable than most people do...I have owned 2 pair

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #9,163 of 11,994
These look so cool. Does that person make custom ones, or was this a one off?
I bought these from @MIR05LAV. He sold a glossy version of this earlier. I guess that would match better with the carbon headband. In my case the headband is covered by the pilot pad, and I was after less glare, so matte is better in my case ... :) You can contact him and see if he can/wants to make more.

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #9,164 of 11,994
I have always thought the lcd-4 to be a beautiful HP and far more comfortable than most people do...I have owned 2 pair
It is incredibly comfortable, despite the weight. The wide headbands are miles ahead of the awful old Audeze narrow headbands I had to wrap all sorts of stuff around.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #9,165 of 11,994
  • The ear-tickling bass on the LCD-4 is simply unholy. It's not about the quantity; there is plenty, but some headphones have more. It's the delicious quality and extension. And the closeness of it, which is partly due to my second point below.
  • The LCD-4 gives you a much more intimate experience than the Abyss. Yes, that means a narrower soundstage, but not narrow per se; the Abyss is just a world-beating overachiever there. Plenty of music suits an intimate soundstage (even metal -- for example, gothic doom). But when you want your head launched into space, reach for the AB-1266.
  • Imaging is extremely, breathlessly precise on the LCD-4. It's not a clinically detailed headphone, as I think everyone agrees, but that doesn't mean it's not precise.
  • To give a car analogy, the LCD-4 is an Aston Martin DBS while the Abyss is a Lamborghini Aventador.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back