Audeze LCD-4
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #9,136 of 11,995
I agree about the LCD-4 just having its own thing. I see a lot of people saying it's dark, bassy, veiled and things like that and I understand where they are coming from but I know I really love it for what it does do very well.
All that is very true. But it EQs nicely

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #9,137 of 11,995
I haven't seen the implementation of the dekoni nuggets on the LCD4, but I would expect a ZMF pilot pad to give a better result due to more even distribution. I have one lying around, and in fact I'll try that tomorrow.
Cool. I have the ZMF CoPilot on my SR1a and it works really well. Let me know how it goes. I guess the entire pad would wrap over both the strap and the carbon fiber frame?

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #9,138 of 11,995
Yes, it does. I have a half-dozen EQ presets I use with it - nothing drastic, just little tweaks based on what I may be listening to.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #9,139 of 11,995

Yes, it does. I have a half-dozen EQ presets I use with it - nothing drastic, just little tweaks based on what I may be listening to.

I'm glad you guys mention EQ. I previously posted this info below regarding EQ with no feedback. I'd be curious to hear more about your EQ settings. jaakkopasanen just runs various measured curves through AutoEQ; oratory will target harman, but tweak it based on his listening. I've still been happily using oratory.

Is anyone else using PEQ with their LCD-4? I'm currently using Oratory1990's EQ. jaakpasanen has 3 different EQs based on the measurements from innerfidelity, oratory1990, and crinacle. There's a pretty big variety between the 4 - the jaakkopasanen oratory and crinacle are the most similar but they differ quite a bit from Oratory's own EQ. The white lines below are the net EQ from the individual settings.

Oratory1990
zqeUxpz.png

LCD-4 jaakkopasanen oratory
dI5teVF.png

LCD-4 jaakkopasanen crinacle
SyvB1Ex.png

LCD-4 jaakkopasanen inner fidelity
czzBCvl.png

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #9,140 of 11,995
I either start with oratori or just look at the graph. 6db low shelf, for the lcd4 a big 8db gain at 5200. -5db High shelf at 10k. It's a lot of experimenting, Roon works really well for that. I don't like the high Q values from oratory. Usually I try to keep them below 2 or 2.5. Just take an hour or two and try to find what you like

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #9,141 of 11,995
Cool. I have the ZMF CoPilot on my SR1a and it works really well. Let me know how it goes. I guess the entire pad would wrap over both the strap and the carbon fiber frame?
The strap needs to be removed, otherwise it won't fit. The copilot pad might, but I prefer the pilot pad because it has thicker padding.

It does not improve the looks, but it is quite comfortable. I think I'll keep it like this for a while.

2021-04-07 17.23.39.jpg
2021-04-07 17.24.15.jpg

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #9,142 of 11,995
That sure looks different. But if it is comfortable, why not.
Is that the Abyss stand?

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #9,143 of 11,995
Never mind. I can see it isn't the Abyss 1266 stand. What stand is it?

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #9,144 of 11,995
Never mind. I can see it isn't the Abyss 1266 stand. What stand is it?
It's a Room's stand for 'normal' headphones. The one for the Abyss is a special version, created by headphone auditions in Amsterdam, in collaboration with Room's.

1617825622267.jpeg

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #9,145 of 11,995
It's a Room's stand for 'normal' headphones. The one for the Abyss is a special version, created by headphone auditions in Amsterdam, in collaboration with Room's.

These are nice stands, I have one, they are very solid, great curve for headband and adjustable height and all without squishing the pads :)

I also have that headband on my Ori and it is super comfy.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #9,146 of 11,995
I'm glad you guys mention EQ. I previously posted this info below regarding EQ with no feedback. I'd be curious to hear more about your EQ settings. jaakkopasanen just runs various measured curves through AutoEQ; oratory will target harman, but tweak it based on his listening. I've still been happily using oratory.
Here is an example of one my LCD-4 presets using AU EQ graphic EQ in Audirvana. I also have the Reveal plugin and a SONEQ parametric EQ to zone in on some specific frequencies not covered by the graphic EQ but I don't find that I really need to use it very often. I should experiment more. Overall, all the LCD-4 presets follow this general EQ curve with some being very subtle and some being more pronounced depending on what I'm listening and what the recording quality is like. When the EQ is set to your liking, the LCD-4 sounds really great. It has a very comfortable, warm, and rich sound yet is still very highly resolving with great transparency. It is so completely different from the SR1a and the TC as well as the Susvara I had on loan for a few months.

It hadn't been getting a lot of love from me recently as I had acquired the SR1a a few months ago and I received the TC about a week ago so, as I'm sure you can understand, I've been utterly consumed by them. But I took the time to fire up the LCD-4 a few days ago to take a break from the intensely exciting sonic onslaught from the TC and it was like, "Ah~, that's nice, sweet and smooth..." It is, overall, a relaxing and intimate yet still very clear and transparent presentation. And it can also thump and definitely rock if you set the EQ accordingly. Even after being utterly blown away by both the SR1 and the 1266 TC, I said to myself: "No, the LCD-4 is not going anywhere. You are staying with me. You've got a character that the other two don't and I like what you are doing." The vocals on the LCD-4 - whatever genre they maybe be - really sound fantastic. :)

Attachments

• LCD-4 Preset.png
    LCD-4 Preset.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #9,147 of 11,995
The strap needs to be removed, otherwise it won't fit. The copilot pad might, but I prefer the pilot pad because it has thicker padding.

It does not improve the looks, but it is quite comfortable. I think I'll keep it like this for a while.

2021-04-07 17.23.39.jpg 2021-04-07 17.24.15.jpg
Thanks. I may consider this later but I listened to the LCD-4 for a while a few days ago and think I'm fine with the way things are. That sure does look comfy!

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #9,148 of 11,995
Thanks. I may consider this later but I listened to the LCD-4 for a while a few days ago and think I'm fine with the way things are. That sure does look comfy!
Like you, I'd been ignoring this guy a little, with most of the head time going to the TC and the Susvara. With the pilot pad, I'm now giving the LCD4 some well deserved attention again. It's really quite comfy now.

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #9,149 of 11,995
I have had or still have the TC, SR1A, Utopia, Z1R, Rad-0, HEDD, Voce', and others, the LCD-4 is still in my stable. They are just magical on the WA33. I have had them longer than any of my other headphones. No plans to sell. Others come and go, the wow factor is certainly there for the TC and SR1A, but I just love the LCD-4. Only way I would sell is if Audeze comes out with something new.

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #9,150 of 11,995
I have had or still have the TC, SR1A, Utopia, Z1R, Rad-0, HEDD, Voce', and others, the LCD-4 is still in my stable. They are just magical on the WA33. I have had them longer than any of my other headphones. No plans to sell. Others come and go, the wow factor is certainly there for the TC and SR1A, but I just love the LCD-4. Only way I would sell is if Audeze comes out with something new.
I feel the same. I tried Susvara, MySphere, Final D8000, Sennheiser HD800/800S, Empyrean, even mighty Sony MDR-R10, but LCD-4 are the only stable member in my collection, which I'm not willing let go anytime soon. Each headphones I just mentioned had its own strengths, but listening experience with the LCD-4 is simply unparalleled. But who knows, maybe LCD-5 will come out soon and I will change my mind, or Sennheiser will finally release successor to the HD800 and we all we be blown away by its performance :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back