Audeze LCD-4
Jul 18, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #7,696 of 11,995
I have both and plan to keep both. Very complimentary headphones. The Abyss has the bigger more lifelike soundstage. It’s treble feels more detailed and airy. The faster of the two. The LCD4 has the sweeter midrange. Bass on both is fantastic but different. The Abyss is tighter and faster where as the LCD4 is fuller with greater sense of impact. All of this is my perspective of course.
I pretty much agree with your comparison after spending several hours comparing both. I would just say the bass on at least the 4z I tried had more impact and a touch more detail. I do think the 1266 is a slightly better all around HP, but If I had to go for one it would be the 4z. The comfort on the 1266 TC was a problem for me and I spent a good amount of time adjusting it according to videos I have seen. Also, the timbre was a touch funky in comparison with the Utopia and 4z. I might chalk that up to maybe me not being used to it?

Now what bothered me about the 4/4z was the classic Audeze Upper midrange dip. That could clearly be heard in comparison to the other two HP’s. Overall though, because of comfort and fact that the 4/4z’s can be had for a lot less these days, lead me to prefer the 4/4z........for now. I have however been toying with the possibility of getting a used Phi or OG 1266 for a really good price and see how much I like it. If I do then happen to fall in love with it, I could always sell and upgrade to the TC, or whatever the new 1266 model is at the time.

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #7,697 of 11,995
I don’t mind the weight of the LCD4. The Abyss is an odd fit. Probably prefer the LCD4 for comfort. I know I’m in the minority with that. If my main choice was rock or blues the LCD4 would be my choice. If EDM or pop then Abyss. Vocals I prefer the LCD4.

Thanks a good answer. Guess this is coming down to flavours and personal prefs, not one is better? I do notice a few of LCD4 guys move to the Abyss (instead off).

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #7,698 of 11,995
I had the LCD4 first. Then purchased the Abyss. I listen to a variety of music so keeping both. But if forced to choose I think I would keep the LCD4. But who knows will the TC.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #7,699 of 11,995
I had the LCD4 first. Then purchased the Abyss. I listen to a variety of music so keeping both. But if forced to choose I think I would keep the LCD4. But who knows will the TC.

Thanks for your thoughts. It may also be influenced by the front end this subject. I can't get my crazy heavy DAC to a demo, would need to get a demo of the Abyss at home instead...

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #7,700 of 11,995
Interesting discussion, folks. My 2-cents.

When I heard the HD800 properly driven, at a meet, my goal became to set-up a rig for them + a complementing planar HP.
The hope was to have one rig that would drive both cans.

I soon became a fan of the Audez'e house sound. The HD800 are so fast / resolving that the smooth / engaging Audez'e sound pulled me in.
I listened to the LCD-2 and LCD-3 but they were too dark, so chose the LCD-X and owned them for a long time.

That ended when I heard the LCD-4, on my rig, again at a meet (meets are invaluable). So the HD800 & LCD-4 became my end point, where I am today.
A touch of EQ via JRiver takes the 6kHz peak out of the HD800, and corrects the upper-mid LCD-4 dip and cymbal shimmer. That is the only "mod" that I use.

I certainly agree that reviewers (or your ordinary Head-Fi poster) can slam a HP whilst not using an appropriate rig to drive them.
Misleading reviews make people think the HD800 are overly bright (they aren't) and the LCD-4 are dark (they aren't).

I had an offer to borrow the Abyss Phi but decided to decline. I knew that if I heard them, I would want them :)

YMMV as always!
Happy Listening,
RCB

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #7,701 of 11,995
Thanks for your thoughts. It may also be influenced by the front end this subject. I can't get my crazy heavy DAC to a demo, would need to get a demo of the Abyss at home instead...
I’m curious if you’ve asked your comparison question on the Abyss thread? I feel like each totl headphone/amp/dac thread draws users who are biased towards the subject of the thread, so on here I’m sure most people would say they prefer the LCD-4, but I doubt that would be the case on the Abyss thread. I do think that once you’re talking about summit-fi cans like these it’s really down to taste and priorities, not “better”, since any one of the 1/2 dozen or so best headphones around will sound amazing through good equipment. But certainly at top tier prices you should get exactly what you want.

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #7,702 of 11,995
I’m curious if you’ve asked your comparison question on the Abyss thread? I feel like each totl headphone/amp/dac thread draws users who are biased towards the subject of the thread, so on here I’m sure most people would say they prefer the LCD-4, but I doubt that would be the case on the Abyss thread. I do think that once you’re talking about summit-fi cans like these it’s really down to taste and priorities, not “better”, since any one of the 1/2 dozen or so best headphones around will sound amazing through good equipment. But certainly at top tier prices you should get exactly what you want.

I am trying to assemble an overall impression of owners of both these cans. it is so difficult to drill down the sound at shows, and unless A/B with the same DAC and music, that is also difficult. IMO a high end HP has a mammoth task to fill all requirements, as a single driver is expected to cover the full FR. It is quite amazing it does that TBH.

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #7,703 of 11,995
It is impossible to truly get a sense of a HP or any piece of high end audio equipment at these shows...I go each year and find the only things i come away from the show with is cosmetic impressions and functional issues and questions and answers...the noise and crowd makes it virtually impossible to achieve anything more...once in a while a manufacturer will have a closed off room which is relatively quiet but it is rare...I was able to listen to a pair of susvara's a year ago in a small quiet room driven by wells amps and it was reasonably satisfying.....a dealer that can let you sample products is the best bet

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #7,704 of 11,995
It is impossible to truly get a sense of a HP or any piece of high end audio equipment at these shows...I go each year and find the only things i come away from the show with is cosmetic impressions and functional issues and questions and answers...the noise and crowd makes it virtually impossible to achieve anything more...once in a while a manufacturer will have a closed off room which is relatively quiet but it is rare...I was able to listen to a pair of susvara's a year ago in a small quiet room driven by wells amps and it was reasonably satisfying.....a dealer that can let you sample products is the best bet
I agree and have never gone to a big show, they contain a lot of rabbit holes! I do read the impressions threads; it seems like always similar comments ... too loud, not enough time, poor quality or limited music selections, etc.

That's why, to me, a local meet is a better way to really sample gear (unless you have a local dealer). If you bring your own music and rig to a local meet, you can test various HPs with your gear ---> super valuable. That was how I heard the difference between the LCD-X and LCD-4, and the difference was impressive.

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #7,705 of 11,995

I would tend to agree with you there. I own most of the so called summit-fi cans. And I can honestly say that what I listen to at any point in time is not so much because one is better but rather what I feel like at that point in time. :)

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #7,706 of 11,995
agreed 100%...when dealing with the few TOTL HP's they are all so good but very different and mood or type of music dictates many times which one to listen to....there is no best

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #7,707 of 11,995
Fair enough guys. I have some good advice so far, so am satisfied I can make a decision. Also based on my own listing albeit at shows.

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #7,708 of 11,995
I just received my new TC’s and might have to amend my statement about which one headphone I would keep if forced to choose. My only issue with the Abyss was the midrange. Not that it was bad, just not as good as the LCD4 IMO. The TC is much much closer. What a terrible problem to have. I guess I’ll have to spend many more hours listening to get to the bottom of it.

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #7,709 of 11,995
yes a real problem lol, my problem is among the HP's i own I always seem to think the last one i listened to is absolutely the best lol

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #7,710 of 11,995
Agree. I think it may come down to the problem of one driver handling the full FR, it is a challenge, and amazing they manage it (any top HP).

Also I think in designing any top HP, the manufacturer has to consider the average user, what level of source and amp will they use. I am 100% behind having a good DAC in front of any top HP. Otherwise, all the issues upstream come to haunt the user. The Audeze LCD models have carved a market for having a very forgiving signature, possibly at the expense of the last bit of detail and speed in the treble IMO. But it appeals to a wider market. That is my thoughts on it, I realised even more with my previous Stax 009 and Carbon this problem.

Many of the issues I read about can probably be put down to the level of sources used, a large part of it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back