Audeze LCD-4
May 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #6,661 of 11,986
Thanks for the response. The HD 800 is an excellent reference point, an absolute masterclass for piano especially with the right amp, and does female vocals 100% justice too, so I'm glad you could make the comparison.

May 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #6,662 of 11,986
I saw Audeze ask an interesting question on an Instagram post recently, wondering if those of you with a 4z could answer - they asked if "you prefer the carbon fiber headband or the suspension headband" - I hadn't thought these would be considered two different things, but then again, the leather on my 4s basically touches the CF, so there's no real "suspension" happening. Someone in the comments confirmed this as well, but then pointed out that newer production units have leather that's shorter enough that it does in fact suspend a bit. And I asked them, aren't the CF headbands supposed to be "suspension" in function? Even though mine really aren't? I wasn't sure what they were referring to with the "suspension headband" - perhaps the unit on the LCD2C, for example? But I had though that was simply a steel-banded version of the CF unit.

Wondering if that new perforated leather is shorter and therefore, providing suspension.

May 22, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,663 of 11,986
I saw Audeze ask an interesting question on an Instagram post recently, wondering if those of you with a 4z could answer - they asked if "you prefer the carbon fiber headband or the suspension headband" - I hadn't thought these would be considered two different things, but then again, the leather on my 4s basically touches the CF, so there's no real "suspension" happening. Someone in the comments confirmed this as well, but then pointed out that newer production units have leather that's shorter enough that it does in fact suspend a bit. And I asked them, aren't the CF headbands supposed to be "suspension" in function? Even though mine really aren't? I wasn't sure what they were referring to with the "suspension headband" - perhaps the unit on the LCD2C, for example? But I had though that was simply a steel-banded version of the CF unit.

Wondering if that new perforated leather is shorter and therefore, providing suspension.
That is a great question because I'm wearing my LCD-4's now and the leather on the carbon fiber headband is just ever so slightly missing the CF band. From the looks of it the new CF suspension headband seems to have shorter leather providing more suspension.

May 22, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #6,664 of 11,986
So,... Somebody asked for this in the IE800 thread :)

Might come in handy for Audeze LCD series users as well :)

Just try it please!
\
The short version:

LCD-2 vs IE800 - LCD-2 is also V-shaped, but it sounds thicker, more natural, more dynamic, more impact in the bass, and it has a more natural tone, with a larger soundstage where Ie800 has more instrument separation by default, is much brighter, especially in the 11kHz area, sounds more emphatic in the upper midrange (more emphasis on guitars and other upper midrange instruments) and can be harsher / more sibilant easier. IE800 has more sub-bass, less mid-bass, much less midrange (pretty recessed), and more treble in comparison. IE800 is a IEM though, where LCD-2 are full over-the-ear headphones. Comfort is not comparable directly. Detail levels are similar between the two, more or less, depends on the type of music you listen to, and whether you're looking for details in the treble or the midrange. LCD-2 has the better midrange, that is clear. You might want IE800 as a portable IEM, and because they are much more V-shaped, more energetic, more jumpy, more lively, where LCD-2 is much better tuned to work with almost anyone's ears and music, LCD-2 will work really well with almost anyone, where IE800 will be really specific for those who like it or not. I needed around 2 hours of listening to get used to IE800's sound again and find why I love it so much, but then I remembered why I love it so much.

LCD-MX4 vs IE800 - LCD-MX4 is even better than LCD-2, but they are different in tuning, they are tilted towards a more mid-centric signature, with a midrange emphasis when compared to LCD-2, so they sound even more different from IE800. The things you notice at first are: Much better bass impact, much larger overall sound, thicker sound, more mid-bass emphasis, more midrange emphasis, better PRaT, similar instrument separation, much smoother in the treble, with considerably less treble impact, where IE800 is incomparably much brighter, with more treble sparkle, detail and impact. LCD-MX4 can be Equalized to sound more tuned like LCD-2, and it retains their excellent bass depth and impact, basically LCD-MX4, with some EQ beats Ie800 in most ways, but man, you need take into account that LCD-MX4 is anywhere from 4 times to 6 times more expensive, this is to be expected :) On this note, LCD-MX4 also has some more detail than either IE800 or LCD-2, it simply is a headphone standing proud of their cost.

May 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #6,665 of 11,986
My LCD4 touches also but I am laying down or reclining so it doesn't matter much to me.

May 22, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #6,666 of 11,986
My LCD4 touches also but I am laying down or reclining so it doesn't matter much to me.

Only reason I care at all is because I do occasionally get a "hot spot" when listening to mine, due to the CF pressing into my head a bit. But it's very random, can go a month without it happening, and then it might happen every day for a week. No idea what causes it to be that way. However more leather suspension might help.

May 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #6,667 of 11,986

Half of the carbon fiber part touches my head, the other doesn't, so it is somewhat suspended. Enough to offload a decent amount of the weight I'd say, because this is probably the heaviest headphone in the world. Heavier than my ZMF Blackwood which is a monstrous heavy headphone. More suspension would be better but I can't complain.

In other news, I'm driving the LCD-4 with a Schiit Lyr 3. Very interesting that if the volume goes too low (and not particularly low listening levels or anything), the LCD-4 loses some of its magic. Gotta crank it with the Lyr 3 unsurprisingly. This is just a temporary setup though, but at higher volume levels the Lyr 3 does a respectable job with the LCD-4. I look forward to comparing it to the Woo Audio WA5-LE, to see how much an LCD-4 needs a super high end amp.

May 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #6,668 of 11,986
Half of the carbon fiber part touches my head, the other doesn't, so it is somewhat suspended. Enough to offload a decent amount of the weight I'd say, because this is probably the heaviest headphone in the world. Heavier than my ZMF Blackwood which is a monstrous heavy headphone. More suspension would be better but I can't complain.

In other news, I'm driving the LCD-4 with a Schiit Lyr 3. Very interesting that if the volume goes too low (and not particularly low listening levels or anything), the LCD-4 loses some of its magic. Gotta crank it with the Lyr 3 unsurprisingly. This is just a temporary setup though, but at higher volume levels the Lyr 3 does a respectable job with the LCD-4. I look forward to comparing it to the Woo Audio WA5-LE, to see how much an LCD-4 needs a super high end amp.
I'm not sure if you need a super high end amp to drive the LCD-4's just an amp with a lot of power. My iFi Micro iDSD BL drives them very well in turbo mode which outputs up to 4 watts. I got it on sale for $380 dollars, which is inexpensive for what it does.

May 23, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #6,669 of 11,986
I decided to install the Audez'e Reveal DSP Plug-in in JRiver on my Macbook Pro. It's downloading now.
Will post my impressions...who else out there is already using it? Can you share your preferred settings with me?
Thanks, in advance!
RCB

May 23, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #6,670 of 11,986
Thanks for the response. The HD 800 is an excellent reference point, an absolute masterclass for piano especially with the right amp, and does female vocals 100% justice too, so I'm glad you could make the comparison.
I really think the LCD-4 has the capability to approach the instrument resolution of the HD800.
Not the stage, however, the HD800 wins that attribute.

Results of testing with software mods today...my lack of upper-mid / treble is fixed.
I never realized that JRiver has a built-in equalizer! And, it works...duh!
I installed the Audez'e Reveal DSP Plug-in. The only trouble was finding where it downloaded to the Mac.
So now, both are active and the SQ is much better. Actually, it's great.
The EQ is up 1.0-1.5 dB in the region of 1-6 kHz and down 2 dB in the 14 kHz region.
The Reveal is set at 25% Wet and +2.0 dB.
The voices/mids are much better, and the shimmer of the high cymbals is gone.
The upper treble is still plenty clear and satisfying.

Does anyone know what the Dry/Wet adjustment in Reveal actually does to the sound?

Cheers,
RCB

May 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #6,671 of 11,986
Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #6,672 of 11,986
Hello,

I am a new owner of Audeze LCD 4 + Chord Dave combo. Just bought them together this week.

Silly question, the red connector goes to the right and black goes to left earcup?

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #6,673 of 11,986
Hello,

I am a new owner of Audeze LCD 4 + Chord Dave combo. Just bought them together this week.

Silly question, the red connector goes to the right and black goes to left earcup?

Congrats! Yes that is correct, you can remember it by associating the red color with the right side. The "R" found on headphones can either stand for red or right.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #6,674 of 11,986
Thanks , will I need a headamp out of Dave like Auralic Taurus mkii to reach it's full potential?

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #6,675 of 11,986
@Emerald Core, First of all, I don't own the Dave myself, so perhaps I'm not the best person to answer this question. From what I've read, it's amp is quite weak. So using an amp should definitely improve it's sound quality, seeing that the LCD-4's are power hungry headphones. I myself use JCAT USB Card Femto > Schiit Yggdrasil > Moon Neo 430HA > LCD-4 as my chain. When I first got my LCD-4's, I was still using a Schiit Lyr 2 amp, which drove them pretty well, but the Moon is much better, as it can drive them to their full potential. But I guess finding an amp that performs at the level of the Chord Dave would be quite expensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back