Audeze LCD-4
Jun 6, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #6,676 of 11,986
the dave's amp section is not weak and it drives the lcd-4 quite nicely

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #6,677 of 11,986
the dave's amp section is not weak and it drives the lcd-4 quite nicely

It only outputs 154mW at 300 ohm, which is nothing to write home about, that definitely isn't enough to drive the LCD-4 properly. According to Audeze they require 1 - 4 watt of power. Considering it's output at 300 ohm, it probably won't be a lot more at 200 ohm.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #6,678 of 11,986
take my word for it they drive them without issue...you can certainly add an external amp at the expense of transparency but the dave more than holds it own...i have both and used to have the Moon 430 amp and sold it

Headphone Amp Recommendations for LCD-4
profilepic.JPG

Chris Berens
  • 6 months ago
  • Updated
Follow

For LCD-4s you need a more powerful amplifier than normal-- something in the range of at least 1/2 watt at 200 ohms, but more is better. Take a look at these for starters:

Headamp GS-X MkII,

Bryston PHA-1,

Audeze King,

Woo Audio WA22,

Pathos Inpolear,

Simaudio M430H,

RME ADI-2 PRO,

Chord Hugo TT or DAVE

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #6,679 of 11,986
Thanks , will I need a headamp out of Dave like Auralic Taurus mkii to reach it's full potential?

I definitely wouldn't get the Auralic Taurus MKII, I'd say you can do much better for roughly the same price (Pure Bipolar/Dynalo Mk2 from mjolnir-audio being the easy choice). But the LCD-4 definitely scales with powerful, excellent amps. Like Recursion though, I'm no DAVE owner so I can't tell you what to expect. Honestly if you attend audio shows and maybe even meets, you can likely audition the LCD-4 with a DAVE + some high end amplifiers. I would do this after being accustomed to how the LCD-4 sounds with just the DAVE so that any difference might be immediately noticeable.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #6,680 of 11,986
Never mind

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #6,681 of 11,986
I definitely wouldn't get the Auralic Taurus MKII, I'd say you can do much better for roughly the same price (Pure Bipolar/Dynalo Mk2 from mjolnir-audio being the easy choice).

Others? What don't you like about the Taurus Mk2? Read: i've been looking for an upgrade for some time now. What am I missing out on? What's the gap/gain to be had without selling a kidney to afford a multi thousand dollar amp?

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #6,683 of 11,986
Others? What don't you like about the Taurus Mk2? Read: i've been looking for an upgrade for some time now. What am I missing out on? What's the gap/gain to be had without selling a kidney to afford a multi thousand dollar amp?

I've tried other headphones (not the LCD-4 though) on both the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 and the Taurus Mk2, the GS-X Mk2 just sounded considerably more transparent. The Pure BiPolar/Dynalo Mk2 is similar to the GS-X Mk2, both of them are fully balanced Dynalos, just different takes on it (and the former converts single ended input into balanced outputs which I find convenient). Other amps I'd consider are a well built Dynahi, and perhaps the GS-X Mk2 (the extra $1k over the Prue BiPolar/Dynalo Mk2 is a tough pill to swallow though, I doubt I can justify it personally).

Jun 10, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #6,685 of 11,986

I don’t have the Dave, but I can tell you about the LCD-4 / Hugo 2 combo. In short, Hugo 2 does not have enough power to drive the LCD-4s.

My current set up is Sonos Connect > Hugo 2 > PassLabs hpa-1 > LCD-4

The addition of the PassLabs hpa-1 changed everything, the sound is fuller, specially in the bass. I don’t feel any loss in resolution or detail. I have turned the Hugo 2 volume all the way down to let the hpa-1 do most of the amplification.

Hope this helps.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #6,686 of 11,986
The H2 an be set up for line out only for external amplification. I suspected strongly the H2 did not have enough power to properly drive the LCD4. That is the reason for looking into the 4Z first, and then the query about the Chord H2 or DAVE as DAC to use with external amplification. Most cost effective upgrade path would be to continue using the H2 currently in use but replace the LCD-X with the LCD4Z. That way the Solvine cable can be used for the 4Z and the Therium cable continues with the LCDi4. Of course someday would be awesome to build up a really robust desktop system with TOTL components... Notably, IF wanting to go to OTL tube amplification, then the 200 ohm input impedance of the LCD4 would be most appropriate? So it is really necessary to plan ahead and do the homework / research in the planning stage of building a new system to ensure compatibility and best performance.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #6,687 of 11,986
Cable question...

Can you really tell the difference between the stock cable and a third-party $1500 cable? Just kidding!!

My real question is this...

Is the (very, very nice) black-and-white cable that comes stock with the LCD-4 the same as the $600 accessory cable that Audeze sells separately?

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #6,688 of 11,986
Cable question...

Can you really tell the difference between the stock cable and a third-party $1500 cable? Just kidding!!

Is the (very, very nice) black-and-white cable that comes stock with the LCD-4 the same as the $600 accessory cable that Audeze sells separately?

Well it says LCD-4 cable and looks 100% completely identical so I'd say yes. Overpriced though... double the price of a really nice Norne cable. I used a Norne Solvine with my LCD-4, couldn't compare it with the stock cable though since the Solvine was balanced.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #6,689 of 11,986
Cool, I think I will assume it's the same.

I just got the LCD-4 and have an Eikon, which also uses Audeze style connectors. I have a Wywires Red XLR cable with Audeze terminations and now the salt-and-pepper LCD-4 SE cable, so I'll be trying to determine which cable to use with which headphone. And then, ultimately, whether or not I wanna abandon the LCD-4 stock cable altogether for something else fun-but-overpriced :).

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #6,690 of 11,986
Cable question...

I read a few posts on hear that rate the stock LCD4 cable against other good after market units. I would look elsewhere to get SQ hike IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back