Audeze LCD-4
Jan 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #5,387 of 11,995
Wow, those look very nice. I sort of like the slightly less glossy "factory" look but I bet these will be very well-protected. Thinking about doing something similar to mine.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,388 of 11,995
I have honestly never heard my LCD-4's sound better. Power, dynamics, speed, subtelty...its all there. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #5,390 of 11,995
I couldn't agree more!

I had the Milo before, and I loved it so much I traded up to the Headtrip. Trust me when I say, you aren't missing much. The "wells audio" sound is there in spades with the Milo, its just with the Headtrip there is that little bit extra. Glad you are ejoying the Milo! It is such a great amp :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #5,391 of 11,995
How do you guys store your LCD4s when not using? We've had some major weather changes here in Atlanta, GA and the humidity this winter is all over the place, 70% one day and 30% the next... it's got me worried. Is it ok to store them in the Audeze case with dessicant?

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #5,392 of 11,995
360 pages later, I still see people buying the 200ohm latest version when the 100ohm is vastly superior but not available anymore...

All the people owning the 100ohm version : DO NOT MAKE the "upgrade" because this is NOT AN UPGRADE, but a downgrade.

The fact is : Audeze made  out of this world headphones with the first version of the LCD 4 sounding absolutely glorious even at very high level. 

I feel that I can turn the knob forever on mine because the incredible clarity with deep intense sense of space and unparalleled bass and sub bass definition, drivable by most amps on the market.

But, of course, because of this addictive sound and the fact that owners are tempted to listen loud because the sound stay perfect at high level, but, because on the extremely thin drivers , they can break ...

Audeze didn't take the risk to replace for a brand new or make the 100ohm more resistant, because replace cost A LOT and make a more resistant one is maybe (probably) impossible.

So they decide to replace the 100ohm, which is, the ONLY AND UNIQUE real LCD 4 by a completely ANOTHER pair of headphone, far less sensitive, with double of resistance, almost undrivable correctly (except with something like the Viva Egoista 845 or equal...so you see how I said it is not properly drivable) : of course you can have the power, but never reach the fabulous impact of the 100ohm. Even the Abyss can be driven easier than the 200ohm LCD 4 ! Yeap. They do that to have a result : you cannot break them anymore, but you cannot obtain the magnificent sound of the original version ! 

Plus all the mesurement on the LCD 4 200ohm shows that the tech specs are wrong and it is probably more resistant than 200ohm and less sensitive...Just remember the last LCD 4 version is the less sensitive and the more resistant of all Audeze.

I do not know why some people here say the 200ohm is better... People from Audeze or psycho acoustic effect ? Maybe.

For the 200ohm version, Audeze says : you have to use an amp from 1 to 4 watts... Yeap, the King audeze amp cannot reach 4W !!! So even the amp for the lcd 4 is made for the 100ohm version and cannot drive the 200ohm properly.

The fact is : Audeze do not let the choice to the customer... I don't even know how something like this can be legal... I have a product, and in case of problem, no repair, you have no choice, you have to take another model absolutely and entirely different to the one you bought !

Plenty of people, including me did the ABX test 100ohm and 200ohm side by side, 100% of the listeners prefer the 100ohm. 

Just think about it.

The 100ohm version is now the Graal and became magically an incredible collector.

I'm listening to them now and they are the most addictive incredible headphones I ever own.

I wish you good luck to find one.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #5,393 of 11,995
360 pages later, I still see people buying the 200ohm latest version when the 100ohm is vastly superior but not available anymore...

All the people owning the 100ohm version : DO NOT MAKE the "upgrade" because this is NOT AN UPGRADE, but a downgrade.

The fact is : Audeze made  out of this world headphones with the first version of the LCD 4 sounding absolutely glorious even at very high level. 

I feel that I can turn the knob forever on mine because the incredible clarity with deep intense sense of space and unparalleled bass and sub bass definition, drivable by most amps on the market.

But, of course, because of this addictive sound and the fact that owners are tempted to listen loud because the sound stay perfect at high level, but, because on the extremely thin drivers , they can break ...

Audeze didn't take the risk to replace for a brand new or make the 100ohm more resistant, because replace cost A LOT and make a more resistant one is maybe (probably) impossible.

So they decide to replace the 100ohm, which is, the ONLY AND UNIQUE real LCD 4 by a completely ANOTHER pair of headphone, far less sensitive, with double of resistance, almost undrivable correctly (except with something like the [COLOR=333333]Viva Egoista 845 or equal...so you see how I said it is not properly drivable)[/COLOR] : of course you can have the power, but never reach the fabulous impact of the 100ohm. Even the Abyss can be driven easier than the 200ohm LCD 4 ! Yeap. They do that to have a result : you cannot break them anymore, but you cannot obtain the magnificent sound of the original version ! 

Plus all the mesurement on the LCD 4 200ohm shows that the tech specs are wrong and it is probably more resistant than 200ohm and less sensitive...Just remember the last LCD 4 version is the less sensitive and the more resistant of all Audeze.

I do not know why some people here say the 200ohm is better... People from Audeze or psycho acoustic effect ? Maybe.

For the 200ohm version, Audeze says : you have to use an amp from 1 to 4 watts... Yeap, the King audeze amp cannot reach 4W !!! So even the amp for the lcd 4 is made for the 100ohm version and cannot drive the 200ohm properly.

The fact is : Audeze do not let the choice to the customer... I don't even know how something like this can be legal... I have a product, and in case of problem, no repair, you have no choice, you have to take another model absolutely and entirely different to the one you bought !

Plenty of people, including me did the ABX test 100ohm and 200ohm side by side, 100% of the listeners prefer the 100ohm. 

Just think about it.

The 100ohm version is now the Graal and became magically an incredible collector.

I'm listening to them now and they are the most addictive incredible headphones I ever own.

I wish you good luck to find one.

um... WRONG.

good luck in your obvious quest to increase the value of your obsolete 100ohm. but making up "alternative facts" isn't the way to go about it.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #5,394 of 11,995
Mmm...after reading this, i am definitely convinced i am wrong. Thanks for opening my mind as you did man.

Seriously i didn't write this to increase the price of anything just to warn 100ohm owner to keep it like this as long as they can. Enjoy your "upgraded" lcd 4 man hahaha.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5,395 of 11,995
I actually enjoy my 200 ohm much more than my original 100 ones.  
There was too much of a dip in the highs with my original 100s that the 200's rectified nicely.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,396 of 11,995
... LCD 4 by a completely ANOTHER pair of headphone, far less sensitive, with double of resistance, almost undrivable correctly (except with something like the Viva Egoista 845 or equal...so you see how I said it is not properly drivable) : of course you can have the power, but never reach the fabulous impact of the 100ohm...

A 600$ mojo amp can drive the LCD-4 to 110db  with less than 0.0003 (THD + noise):
http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/chord-mojo.php#rw14
but don't let facts or measurements get in the way. Btw - there are simple formulas to calculate how loud a  head-amp can drive your headphones.
In the mojo thread somebody came up with an Excel spreadsheet that would just give you the answer. Try it before posting.

Coming back to your 100 ohm vs 200 ohm version - I am sure you know better than the Audeze engineers. Care to post a comparison between the measurements of the 2 models and explain us how one is superior to the other?

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #5,397 of 11,995
Seriously i didn't write this to increase the price of anything just to warn 100ohm owner to keep it like this as long as they can. Enjoy your "upgraded" lcd 4 man hahaha.

thanks. i "will".

ha ha ha.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #5,398 of 11,995
I have to agree that the 200 ohm version is more refined than the 100 ohm, which I had for a year before upgrading. Kudos to Audeze for the free upgrade which included new earpads, the new earpad spacers, a new headband and of course the new drivers. They even paid for shipping, both ways. When the upgraded LCD-4 arrived about a week later I got an immediate smile from the obvious upgrade in sound quality. I only wish I had upgraded sooner.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #5,399 of 11,995

So they decide to replace the 100ohm, which is, the ONLY AND UNIQUE real LCD 4 by a completely ANOTHER pair of headphone, far less sensitive, with double of resistance, almost undrivable correctly (except with something like the Viva Egoista 845 or equal...so you see how I said it is not properly drivable) : of course you can have the power, but never reach the fabulous impact of the 100ohm. Even the Abyss can be driven easier than the 200ohm LCD 4 ! Yeap. They do that to have a result : you cannot break them anymore, but you cannot obtain the magnificent sound of the original version ! 

They would be able to tell an over-driven headphone over a manufacturing failure in about 1 second - not everyone who's headphones failed listened very loud 

Yeah but it's between 1-4 watts though, right?  That's a very lazy website spec that's on the whole LCD line, even the X which doesn't need nearly that much.  They should probably revise that.

If a car manufacturer makes a faulty engine, they have to recall and fix it - not replace one faulty engine with another for as long as the customer wants.  Even if some people think it's slower.

Why do I not believe you?

I wonder if we will see a second hand pair of "hardly used super rare impossible to find last 100ohm LCD4 on the planet last chance to buy super amazing experience you must have before you die" on the for sale forum for a very reasonable $10k soon...

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #5,400 of 11,995
Peole are saying the lcd-4 200ohm is "better"... it is your choice and your taste. But if i buy something and it needs to be fixed because of conception failure, i do not want something supposed to be "better" or just different, just the same without issues.

Anyway. All the people thinking i am doing this to increase the price. I would say the 100ohm version is already rare and easier to drive...the time decide what will happen.

How many people reading this keep the 100ohm version ? It would be nice to know.

And no the mojo cannot drive the lcd 4 200ohm properly.

To Drive a pair headphone is not simply having a high volume level, unfortunately...sure most of hf members know that.

I am note writing this to make 200ohm owners angry. And i never said the 200ohm version was bad. I just found crazy everybody is accepting what the magnificent brand Audeze did about the flagdhip lcd 4 100ohm failure ane warn 100ohm owner that they should keep their 100ohm :wink: and not believing go from 100ohm to 200ohm is an "upgrade".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back